PETA "Fish-have-feelings-too"

Baywatchv8

Found this on http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&u=/ap/20041116/ap_on_re_us/fish_empathy_3&printer=1

NEW YORK - Touting tofu chowder and vegetarian sushi as alternatives, animal-rights activists have launched a novel campaign arguing that fish — contrary to stereotype — are intelligent, sensitive animals no more deserving of being eaten than a pet dog or cat.

AP Photo

Called the Fish Empathy Project, the campaign reflects a strategy shift by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals as it challenges a diet component widely viewed as nutritious and uncontroversial.

"No one would ever put a hook through a dog's or cat's mouth," said Bruce Friedrich, PETA's director of vegan outreach. "Once people start to understand that fish, although they come in different packaging, are just as intelligent, they'll stop eating them."

The campaign is in its infancy and will face broad skepticism. Major groups such as the American Heart Association (news - web sites) recommend fish as part of a healthy diet; some academics say it is wrong to portray the intelligence and pain sensitivity of fish as comparable to mammals.

"Fish are very complex organisms that do all sorts of fascinating things," said University of Wyoming neuroscientist James Rose. "But to suggest they know they what's happening to them and worry about it, that's just not the case."

PETA, headquartered in Norfolk, Va., has campaigned for years against sport fishing, challenging claims by Rose and others that fish caught by anglers do not feel pain. PETA also has joined other critics in decrying the high levels of mercury or other toxins in many fish and the pollution discharged by many fish farms.

The Empathy Project is a departure in two respects — attempting to depict the standard practices of commercial fishing as cruel and seeking to convince consumers that there are ethical reasons for not eating fish.

"Fish are so misunderstood because they're so far removed from our daily lives," said Karin Robertson, 24, the Empathy Project manager and daughter of an Indiana fisheries biologist. "They're such interesting, fascinating individuals, yet they're so incredibly abused."

The project was inspired by several recent scientific studies — widely reported in Britain but little-noticed in the United States — detailing facets of fish intelligence.

Oxford University researcher Theresa Burt de Perera, for example, reported that the blind Mexican cave fish is able to interpret water pressure changes to construct a detailed mental map of its surroundings.

"Most people dismiss fish as dimwitted pea-brains. ... Yet this is a great fallacy," wrote University of Edinburgh biologist Culum Brown in the June edition of New Scientist. "In many areas, such as memory, their cognitive powers match or exceed those of 'higher' vertebrates, including non-human primates."

Chris Glass of the Manomet Center for Conservation Sciences in Massachusetts led another recent study, showing how North Sea haddock developed abilities to avoid trawlers' nets.

"There's no doubt that fish of all shapes and forms are capable of learning fairly complex tasks," Glass said. "They can learn from their environment and experience."

Yet Glass declined to endorse the don't-eat-fish appeals.

"We don't want to be caught between warring factions," he said. "We're interested in helping the fisheries industry do a responsible job."

To press their argument, PETA activists plan demonstrations starting next month at selected seafood restaurants nationwide. PETA also will urge changes in commercial fishing practices, for example proposing that trawler crews stun fish before cutting them up.

Friedrich questioned why there is popular support for sparing marine mammals — dolphins and porpoises — yet minimal concern for species like tuna, "whose suffering would warrant felony animal cruelty charges if they were mammals."

Fish-welfare rules would be a new realm for U.S. commercial fishermen. The National Fisheries Institute, which represents them, has pledged to help sustain fish stocks but its members have never faced cruelty regulations regarding their catch.

"It's irresponsible to discourage people from eating fish at a time when doctors and dietitians advise eating it twice a week," said institute president John Connelly. "If anything, we should be eating more fish."

Friedrich acknowledges the difficulty of changing long-held customs, but thinks his project is worthwhile. "We'd rather go too far than not far enough," he said.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
:lol:

Sing it, Mr. Van Driesen! "Fish have feelings, too... May they share theirs with you?..."

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
These azz hats complained about somebody using a donky to carry a bomb over in the middle east. They seem to think it's OK to blow up people as long as you don't hurt any animals.
I always wondered why they never had to cahones to show up someplace like Rolling Thunder to protest the wearing of animal skins.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I found this rather fascinating; of all the species of fish in the oceans, lakes and streams across this earth, they chose this one:

"Oxford University researcher Theresa Burt de Perera, for example, reported that the blind Mexican cave fish is able to interpret water pressure changes to construct a detailed mental map of its surroundings."

Does this particular species of fish have access to CAD?(No, I didn't mean COD!)

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Tomatoes scream when you cut them so they say, but I'm still going to eat them and fish, cow, pig, lamb, and all the other good animals and vegetables.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
There was a story a few years back about some PETA nut going to an elementary school. He tried to convince the kids that fish had thoughts and feelings too by wearing a big fish outfit and spreading his propaganda to young and impressionable minds.

A few of the kids knocked him down and beat the scales off him. It's good to know that even little children have crap detectors. :lmao:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
2ndAmendment said:
Tomatoes scream when you cut them so they say, but I'm still going to eat them and fish, cow, pig, lamb, and all the other good animals and vegetables.
Ever hear the song "Carrot Juice Is Murder"?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Tonio said:
Ever hear the song "Carrot Juice Is Murder"?

Or better yet...

Tool

And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber. And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself. And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own midwest. And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil. One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possesed me then. And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust." And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared, "Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!" Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus.
Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on........

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
pixiegirl said:
Or better yet...

Tool
Or how about The Book of Monty Python?

And it came to pass that Saint Victor was taken from this place
to another place. Where he was lain to rest himself amongst sheets
of muslin and velvet.
And there stroked was he by maidens of the Orient.
For sixteen days and nights stroked they him, yea verily and
caressed him.
His hair, ruffled they. And their fingers rubbethed they in oil
of olives, and ranneth them across all parts of his body for as much
as to soothe him.
And the soles of his feet licked they. And the upper parts of
his thigh did they anoint with the balm of forbidden trees.
And with the teeth of their mouths, nibbled they the pointed
bits at the top of his ears. Yea verily, and did their tongues
thereof make themselves acquainted with his most secret places.
For fifteen days and nights did Victor withstand these maidens,
until he cried out, saying:
"This...is fantastic! Oh...this is terrific!!"
And the Lord did here the cry of Victor. And verily came He down
and slew the maidens. And caused their cottonwool bugs to blow away,
and their Kleenex to be laid waste utterly.
And Victor, in his anguish, cried out that the Lord was a rotten bastard.
So the Lord sent an angel to comfort Victor for the weekend.
And entered they together the jaccuzzi.

Here endeth the lesson.

blueintrepid18

I think its interesting that peta screams about euthenizing animals left and right, but they dont mention that they infact must euthenize a great many of the animals that they save from us barbarians who seem to care for human life more than our puppys and kittys. Dont get me wrong. I love my dog and would do anything within reason to keep him safe and healthy, but when it comes down to it he is just a dog and I would choose my human family first. Maybe some will think Im a horrible person for it but I personally think that it makes me a rational one.

D

dems4me

Baywatchv8 said:
Found this on http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&u=/ap/20041116/ap_on_re_us/fish_empathy_3&printer=1
Fish-welfare rules would be a new realm for U.S. commercial fishermen. The National Fisheries Institute, which represents them, has pledged to help sustain fish stocks but its members have never faced cruelty regulations regarding their catch.

This fish feeling crap is ridiculous... I throw them back because of their beady eyes looking at me to say "please don't kill me... please don't eat me" but deep down I know that's not what they are thinking. A few years ago after fishing I was over at a friend's house who had a 5 year old boy in the kitchen while cleaning and then cutting the head off the fish... poor little boy had a big fish tank in the kitchen and they were his pets... After whacking the head off the fish in front of him "he starts crying and wanting me to put the head and body in the fish tank" and kept telling me "the fish will be ok, you just need to put it back together and put it in the water with the other fishes..., it'll be ok, the fish will live" :ohwell: I guess I'll be footing therapy bills in the future... :roflmao:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
pixiegirl said:
Or better yet...

Tool

And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber. And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself. And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own midwest. And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil. One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possesed me then. And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust." And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared, "Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!" Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus.
Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on........

Bump for ylexot. :kiss:

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Fish do have feelings, you can see the fear in their eyes as I throw the bag of guppies into my Oscar tank... :whistle: