Republicans giving away Christmas Early

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
In their massive year-end omnibus spending bill, Congressional Republicans replaced the holiday turkey with a heaping of pork. The $388 billion, fourteen pound, 1,000 page legislation overwhelmingly passed both houses of Congress, replete with 11,000 wasteful local pet projects, cuts to vital social services and handouts to the wealthy and religious right. Out of hundreds of items, The Daily Outrage selected the top five favors to big business and Christian conservatives.

1. Undermining Reproductive Rights: Rep. David Weldon (R-Fla) inserted an amendment--with no debate in either the House or Senate--allowing hospitals and insurers to refuse to cover or provide abortions, even in the case of rape or incest. The new provision applies the "conscience clause"--which allows churches to withhold abortions based on religious grounds--to secular hospitals, undermining both the spirit and law of Roe v. Wade. Any doctor can now deny a woman the right to choose, disregarding the Constitution in the process.

2. Slashing Education: As special interests charged ahead, underprivileged students--from pre school to college age--were left even further behind. Congressional Republicans underfunded President Bush's modest requests for special education by $481 million, No Child Left Behind by $398 million and Head Start by $103 million. Up to 100,000 college students, primarily from families making $35,000-40,000, will lose their financial aid benefits entirely. Under a new Department of Education aid formula, 1.2 million low-income students could face additional grant cuts in the coming year.

3. Harming the Environment: Congress authorized drilling in the protected Yukon Wildlife Refuge in Alaska, opened up the East Coast's largest undeveloped island for commercial exploration, and defeated an amendment eliminating subsidies for timber corporations. While slashing clean water spending by $242 million, Republicans allocated $1.7 billion for an unnecessary expansion on the Upper Mississippi River.

4. Privatizing the Government: Facing a rarely-invoked veto threat from the White House, at the last hour Congress dropped a bipartisan proposal--passed in two consecutive years--to place new restrictions on the Bush Administration's plan to privatize thousands of government jobs. Bush's "competitive sourcing initiative" actually prevents government workers from submitting their most competitive bids while exempting private contractors from having to outline the costs saved by privatization. According to the AFL-CIO, House Republicans inserted the Bush-approved language as the spending bill's second-to-last-item.

5. Boosting Outer Space: While presiding over deep cuts in education, environmental cleanup, foreign aid and HIV/AIDS funding, Tom DeLay dramatically increased the budget of NASA--located in the majority leader's backyard--by $16.2 billion, an astonishing $822 million increase from last year. If only they could've included a provision sending DeLay and his corporate cronies on a permanent test-run to outer space.

Go Bush, see if we can bankrupt the country!!! :killingme

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
I love the "Ignore List" function....you see someone on your ignore list posts something and you just know it's going to be too stupid to waste your time reading!:getdown:

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
Voter2002 said:
I love the "Ignore List" function....you see someone on your ignore list posts something and you just know it's going to be too stupid to waste your time reading!:getdown:

Good for you. :coffee:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Voter2002 said:
You're right, it does work well. This is the only time I've ever used it but This thread makes good reading without the panheads bizarre rantings.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
If right=wrong and left=right, then ultimately left=wrong too.

I've never seen slanted circular logic digested so nicely.

Nice spin on the stuff you posted too. Did you need a telescope to see that far back to the middle in order to comment?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
ylexot said:
UP, are you referring to this legislation in the House and this legislation in the Senate? If you'll notice the "yea" votes in the House...183-Rep, 160-Dem. The "yea" votes in the Senate were...42-Rep, 23-Dem. That's a pretty even split for you to be solely blaming Republicans...especially GWB.
:yeahthat: Not to mention that you can bet that any "Pork" in the bill is spread to just about each and every state, not many Congressmen or Congresswomen can keep from dipping into that candy dish.

Vince

The house vote was 344 to 51 total. :confused: But the Urbanidiot would rather blame the Republicans and Bush for the whole mess. I need to put you back on ignor. Maybe someday you'll come up with a statement that makes sense.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
UrbanPancake said:
1. Undermining Reproductive Rights: Rep. David Weldon (R-Fla) inserted an amendment--with no debate in either the House or Senate--allowing hospitals and insurers to refuse to cover or provide abortions, even in the case of rape or incest. The new provision applies the "conscience clause"--which allows churches to withhold abortions based on religious grounds--to secular hospitals, undermining both the spirit and law of Roe v. Wade. Any doctor can now deny a woman the right to choose, disregarding the Constitution in the process.

Yes? And your point is?

Where was Steny who has all kinds of things to say about this bill? He was outside knee-jerking to the press rather than sitting in chambers making objections.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I told you guys this about a week and a half ago. When you put this fool on "Iggy", threads are so much easier to understand and read.

Believe me, I ain't kissing nobody's butt here, but the rest of you sure make a hell of a lot more sense than it(?) does!

This is the way to go, no doubt about it!:killingme

C

czygvtwkr

A house painter can refuse to paint 2 story houses, a race car driver can refuse to drive Fords, etc etc

Personally I am against abortions, but I don't give a rats ass about the unhealthy things people do with their bodies but I dont want to have to pay for it any more than I want to pay for someones breast implants. I find abortion about as necessary as plastic surgery.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
czygvtwkr said:

A house painter can refuse to paint 2 story houses, a race car driver can refuse to drive Fords, etc etc

Personally I am against abortions, but I don't give a rats ass about the unhealthy things people do with their bodies but I dont want to have to pay for it any more than I want to pay for someones breast implants. I find abortion about as necessary as plastic surgery.
Amen. Maybe I am naive, even at my age, but there seem to be so many couples out there that cannot have children - inspite of today's scientific progress - that women ought to have that child and give these people a chance to care and love a child of their own.

Is that too corny?

Llwynog

Thats Welsh for fox.
Penn said:
Amen. Maybe I am naive, even at my age, but there seem to be so many couples out there that cannot have children - inspite of today's scientific progress - that women ought to have that child and give these people a chance to care and love a child of their own.

Is that too corny?

Its not corny. Unfortunately to many of the wrong people keep their kids. See this thread for example.

Last edited:

ylexot

Super Genius
Penn said:
I told you guys this about a week and a half ago. When you put this fool on "Iggy", threads are so much easier to understand and read.
:yeahthat: It's been nice not reading its moronic rantings.

ylexot

Super Genius
czygvtwkr said:

Can I sue because my insurance doesn't cover optical? No? Ok, then they don't have to cover abortions if they don't want to either as long as it is stated in the contract.