Paralyzed woman walks again after stem cell therapy

Danzig

A South Korean woman paralyzed for 20 years is walking again after scientists say they repaired her damaged spine using stem cells derived from umbilical cord blood.

Hwang Mi-Soon, 37, had been bedridden since damaging her back in an accident two decades ago.

Last week her eyes glistened with tears as she walked again with the help of a walking frame at a press conference where South Korea researchers went public for the first time with the results of their stem-cell therapy.

They said it was the world's first published case in which a patient with spinal cord injuries had been successfully treated with stem cells from umbilical cord blood.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/041128/1/3ovex.html

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, so help me out here. If umbilical cord blood works, why are we having a debate about fetal stem cells, via aborted babies?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
vraiblonde said:
Okay, so help me out here. If umbilical cord blood works, why are we having a debate about fetal stem cells, via aborted babies?

I've been asking that question for years.

S

SoMDGuy1980

vraiblonde said:
Because most people don't understand the difference between adult stem cell research and embryonic stem cell research; they think that stems cells only come from embryos. The media doesn't help out because they oftentimes do not distinguish between the two, and thereby miseducate the public.

S

SoMDGuy1980

ylexot said:
I thought that was only going to happen if Kerry was elected. :confused:
Embryonic stem cell research is happening every day; there is no "ban" against this research. Again, the media misinformed the public by claiming that President Bush had "banned" stem cell research, when in fact he only banned federal dollars from being used to fund EMBRYONIC stem cell research.

ylexot

Super Genius
SoMDGuy1980 said:
Embryonic stem cell research is happening every day; there is no "ban" against this research. Again, the media misinformed the public by claiming that President Bush had "banned" stem cell research, when in fact he only banned federal dollars from being used to fund EMBRYONIC stem cell research.
I guess you missed the sarcasm... :whistle:

And this happened in S. Korea. So even if the research was banned, this still would have happened.

S

SoMDGuy1980

ylexot said:
I guess you missed the sarcasm... :whistle:

And this happened in S. Korea. So even if the research was banned, this still would have happened.
Yep, completely missed the sarcasm.