Diet Vanilla Coke

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
DVC just doesn't taste good...
why is it that Coke can never get a diet product right... but Pepsi nails the diet soda every time...

I love Coke... hate Pepsi...
but I can't stand Diet Coke, Diet Sprite, Diet Vanilla Coke... I do like Diet Cherry Coke though.

I do, however, like Diet Pepsi, Diet Dr. Pepper, Diet Slice... but not Diet Mountain Dew...

I really had a lot of hope for Diet Vanilla Coke... and I was let down :(

Rose

I prefer Pepsi to Coke
and
Diet Coke to Diet Pepsi
I like Fresca too but no Dew - Ewww :barf:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I never cared for the Cherry Coke, Lemon Coke or I'm sure though I haven't had it yet, the Vanilla Coke.

They don't simulate the taste of the old fountain sodas. Not even close.

Mountain Dew is just :barf: except for the Code Red version.

Anyone see the program on the food network about the origins of Mountain Dew? It claimed it was a creation of the Moonshine Industry as a mixer.

The only thing that could taste worse than bad corn liquor. :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Kyle
I never cared for the Cherry Coke, Lemon Coke or I'm sure though I haven't had it yet, the Vanilla Coke.

They don't simulate the taste of the old fountain sodas. Not even close.

Anybody remember the old drug store in Leonardtown that used to have a REAL soda fountain? Or the original A&W stands? *sigh* I miss them.

Anyone see the program on the food network about the origins of Mountain Dew? It claimed it was a creation of the Moonshine Industry as a mixer.

I saw that. I loved the original cans and advertising with the hillbillies on it. Bet THOSE are worth a fortune on eBay. :wink:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jazz lady
... Anybody remember the old drug store in Leonardtown that used to have a REAL soda fountain? Or the original A&W stands? *sigh* I miss them...
It was still up when I moved here in the 70's.

At that time there were a few left over in a couple drugstores around the Hyattsville area as well.

Don't remember the A&W's but I remember Mighty Mo's.

I take that back... I remember one at New Hampshire Avenue and University Blvd. I think it was redone as a Hot Shoppes with car service.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Kyle
Don't remember the A&W's but I remember Mighty Mo's.

I take that back... I remember one at New Hampshire Avenue and University Blvd. I think it was redone as a Hot Shoppes with car service.

I remember most of the A&W's in New Jersey, where my dad is from and my grandmother and great-grandmother lived. Many summers driving to Jersey for the annual visits and we always stopped at one along the way. Ahhh..memories...

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Anybody remember the old drug store in Leonardtown that used to have a REAL soda fountain? Or the original A&W stands? *sigh* I miss them.

Were there A&W stands in Maryland? I remember them from the Midwest in the '70s. They were real drive-ins, with waitresses bringing you your burger and root beer float.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jungleroom_x
is there a difference between the old soda fountains and the ones they have at Sheetz and 7-11 now?

Those are not soda FOUNTAINS - they are soda DISPENSERS. A soda fountain would have a soda jerk (the person working behind the counter) who would mix your soda using a syrup and then carbonate it. You could get your soda made to your taste in a wonderful array of flavors.

Ahhh...the good old days. I swear, I sometimes think I was born in the wrong century! :ohwell:

jungleroom_x

Those are not soda FOUNTAINS - they are soda DISPENSERS. A soda fountain would have a soda jerk (the person working behind the counter) who would mix your soda using a syrup and then carbonate it. You could get your soda made to your taste in a wonderful array of flavors.

Ahhh...the good old days. I swear, I sometimes think I was born in the wrong century! :ohwell:

i thought thats how they did it on those too?

except automated (which always kills the wonderful human element in everything). they use carbonated water and concentrated syrup in the new fountains as well.

(either way, soda in a plastic bottle is sacrelige. not only that, but it reaaaally tastes bad)

Rose

Originally posted by Tonio
Were there A&W stands in Maryland? I remember them from the Midwest in the '70s. They were real drive-ins, with waitresses bringing you your burger and root beer float.
I remember A&W when I was a kid in California. We'd go for root-beer floats (or coke in my case). They had the car service too.

There is an A&W in Callaway at the gas station.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Mighty Mo's had car service around here when I was a kid.

There used to be one in the Queenstown area in Hyattsville until about '65-66'. Root Beer Floats and Boston Cream Pie.... And the Mighty Mo Burger.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member

i thought thats how they did it on those too?

except automated (which always kills the wonderful human element in everything). they use carbonated water and concentrated syrup in the new fountains as well.

(either way, soda in a plastic bottle is sacrelige. not only that, but it reaaaally tastes bad)
Key word here is "automated."

The soda "jerk" (not b/c he was stupid, b/c he pulled [jerked] the handles on the really old flavor pumps) would mix your Coke syrup with chocolate, lemon, cherry, vanilla, almond or any other flavor there was and in any combination. And you could get a double syrup with less soda water for more flavor.

jungleroom_x

Originally posted by 2ndAmendment

Key word here is "automated."

The soda "jerk" (not b/c he was stupid, b/c he pulled [jerked] the handles on the really old flavor pumps) would mix your Coke syrup with chocolate, lemon, cherry, vanilla, almond or any other flavor there was and in any combination. And you could get a double syrup with less soda water for more flavor.

gotcha. sounds a lot more appealing that way.

of course, if you just want a straight syrup shot, it's possible (i'm not sure the good people of sheetz would like you taking the front plate off of the nozzle :razz2: )

makes me upset to think this...as good as things were in the old days (as far as i keep hearing), things will just get progressively worse. imagine the day when people long for the great taste of a plastic soda bottle. :ohwell:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member

imagine the day when people long for the great taste of a plastic soda bottle. :ohwell:
Hello Star Trek and the food processor and the hollodeck.

rescue161

Can't remember where, but my uncle bought a soda maker. He would make the sodas as were described earlier, and then carbonate the water. The 'machine' wasn't expensive at all, but the syrup was...
Scott

S

Scrappy

Isn't there some place on Rt. 5 around Mechanicsville that serves flavored soda like the old style cherry coke?