[Legal] Drinking Age?

Spoiled

Its a well known fact, that most people start drinking before their 21st birthday, and at 18 one can be drafted to serve our country or do it on their own accord.

Is the drinking age fine where it is, should it be changed? why?

:cheers: :alkies: :martini: :drunk:

or is this me?:
:deadhorse

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
There hasn't been a draft in over 30 years, but if they bring it back that would be a point of contention, until then isn't it simply moot?

Wait that extra couple of years before you start killing those braincells.

Spoiled

I sitll cary a card saying i can be drafted... i also have friends who are in the military, some who may end up in iraq, and they wont be able to drink

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Spoiled said:
I sitll cary a card saying i can be drafted... i also have friends who are in the military, some who may end up in iraq, and they wont be able to drink

Well, according to you, that isn't a problem...

Its a well known fact, that most people start drinking before their 21st birthday

Ken King

PREMO Member
Spoiled said:
Glad to hear that you are registered, but the fact is that they aren't calling anyone up and those that do join do so of their own free will. Why are you in such a hurry to alter your personality with a substance like alcohol? It won't make you cool or popular. All it will do is help you do things you normally wouldn't do if sober.

In 1982 the percent of alcohol related driving fatalities was running at about 60%, in 2002 it was down to 41%. Has the rise of the legal age contributed to this reduction, I think it has and for that reason alone I think it should remain where it is.

Last edited:

MerF

You smell funny
Danzig said:
18, 19, and 20 year olds are to stupid to be drinking.
Then tell them (us) not to go die for you. I was over there when I was below the drinking age, and we used to get pissed when we'd return home because we could no longer order a beer with dinner (over there, nobody cares). :burning:

Danzig

MerF said:
Then tell them (us) not to go die for you. I was over there when I was below the drinking age, and we used to get pissed when we'd return home because we could no longer order a beer with dinner (over there, nobody cares). :burning:
I never told you or anyone to “go die” for me. You chose to volunteer to go and die for me. The great thing about this country that you came back to is that YOU can change the laws to let 18 year olds drink. So it’s easier to tell THEM OR YOU to get off your asses and register to vote or get involved in the law making process. If all you 18 to 20 year olds registered to vote you could change that law with no problem. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'd actually lower it to 18. I agree with those above who make the point that you're old enough to go in the military - they trust you with an M16, but not a beer? Dur.

I was a mother at 19 - they trust me with an infant, but not a glass of wine? Dur x 2.

I know a lot of 30 and 40 year olds who are too stupid to be drinking.

Ken King

PREMO Member
MerF said:
Do you think this is the first time in our history that we have sent young men and women under the legal age for consuming alcohol to a hostile environment where the risk of life and limb was an everyday concern? You might not be old enough to recall, but it was like this back in the early 70s when we actually had an ongoing draft and right there after as we transitioned to the “all volunteer force”. Heck I have been deployed to “dry” locations many times where the host nation (Saudi Arabia) had strict alcohol laws that we had to comply with even though we were of legal drinking age.

Today we know better the risks of letting our youth drink. We have data that shows that the increase of the legal drinking age has resulted in a 30% decrease in alcohol related driving fatalities. That in and by itself should clearly indicate that it was a wise and correct decision.

Personally I wouldn’t mind letting those that are serving in the military legally drink on a military reservation in canteens and clubs regardless of their age, but most, if not all, bases comply with the current laws. Also I wouldn’t mind a general military exemption to the age restriction where upon presentation of a valid military ID card a serving member could imbibe at any public establishment. After all these folk have given of themselves to serve our nation, have undergone intense training regiments, have been given great responsibility advancing their maturity and this could be a minor reward for that service. With that said, this would have to be looked at very carefully before implementing as we have seen that the younger military members at times display many of the tendencies of the regular population and if it is later determined that there is an increase in alcohol related incidents involving those under the age of 21, then the ban should be re-established.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
I drank more before I turned 21 than I do now that I'm legal. At 18, 19, 20 and even up until then, I thought that the drinking age should be lowered. Now, I'm not so sure. I like going to a bar and being surrounded by people my own age +. The amount of "growing up" one does between 18 and 21 is amazing, and I think that 18 year olds do not have the level of maturity to handle drinking in a public place. Hell, most 21 year olds I know don't.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Danzig said:
18, 19, and 20 year olds are to stupid to be drinking.

What's the difference between an 18 year old drunk and a 40 year old drunk? If parents taught their kids to do so responsibly, we wouldn't have this problem. Look around at other cultures where drinking under 21 doesn't cause the problems it does in the states.

I understand Ken King's reasoning, and the fact that if 18 year olds could buy alcohol, we would also have more minors consuming alcohol outside of the home than we do now. But to simply label everyone between 18 and 20 as stupid, is illogical and stupid.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Ken King said:
Glad to hear that you are registered
He probably only registered because you cannot receive government financial aid for college if you don't.

SmallTown

Football season!
JabbaJawz said:
I absolutely don't think the drinking age should be lowered.
What is so special about the age of 21? If the legal drinking age was 25, and people discussed lowering it to 21, would you be against it? What reasoning would you have for being for or against the change?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
SmallTown said:
What is so special about the age of 21? If the legal drinking age was 25, and people discussed lowering it to 21, would you be against it? What reasoning would you have for being for or against the change?
I think you should be able to pass an IQ test to get your "drinking license". I've met 40 year olds who have no business even being in the same room as an alcoholic beverage. :lmao:

Spoiled

Nickel said:
He probably only registered because you cannot receive government financial aid for college if you don't.
I registered because it is the law, if there is a reason the US needs help when it comes to fighting i also support it. I registered the day before my 18th birthday.