Vrai? Otter? Catt? Sparx?? ST??

D

dems4me

Body Armor

Friday I was getting ready for work and they were interviewing a guy in Iraq who was saved by his body armor. He would have died without it because he stepped on a land mine. He was thanking his Grandmother for sending it to him...He sustained injuiries to legs and arms only. So I thought about that enroute to work and all the soldiers over there and just thought how terrible it is that they do not have the proper body armor.

Well this morning watching (Chris Matthews?) the subject of body armor came up and a lady on there said something to the effect of... "who needs body armor... look at the lack of body armor the troops had in WW2...." My jaw dropped :shocking: I can't believe someone would say something like that... It was only obvious to me - she has no friends, relatives, friends son's over there, etc.... I'm sure she would have not stated what she did.. and now on McGauflin (sp?) they are talking about body armor and the scraps they have to use for these Humvs.

In a nonbiased polite sense... how did this happen :shrug: Is there a way that we can figure out who doesn't have the proper armor over there and then take up a collection to send the armor over? At work they had us donating toothbrushes, bean bag dolls (for the Iraq kids), and toiletries... why not take the money spent for donations and give them what they really need... body armor. Any suggestions? I know there isn't an official list of who has it and who doesn't... but I would like to help pitch in some $$ if y'all have a friend or relative over there that you may know who does not have this body armor.

SmallTown

Football season!
Rumsfeld had an interesting Q&A session with some troops regarding topics such as this. Look for the transcripts of it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They're making hay out of a reporter feeding the armor question to Rumsfeld the other day, but I thought it was a good question regardless of who thought of it. Rumsfeld replied with something like "we get the Army we've got, not the one we wish we had."

I'm not satisfied with that answer. We're either going to fight a war or we're not. The correct answer, I suspect, is that Congress hasn't approved the necessary funding to properly equip our troops. If that's the case, Rumsfeld needs to say so out in the open so we can all bombard our Congresspeople and DEMAND that they approve this funding IN FULL.

Our POC for 1st Cav instructed us not to send body armor to our soldier because they had everything they needed. Obviously this isn't the case with all divisions or Rumsfeld would have said so.

If Bush has to raise taxes or cut spending in other areas, so be it. I, personally, vote for "cutting spending in other areas". Because I have to tell ya, I'm not real compassionate toward some chickie with 6 kids getting welfare payments while our troops need body and vehicle armor.

Anyone who knows more about this than me, please speak up and set me straight if I've got it wrong.

J

justhangn

vraiblonde said:
Anyone who knows more about this than me, please speak up and set me straight if I've got it wrong.

:yay: :yay: That sounds good to me..........

We're at war......WIN!!!!!

Spoiled

vraiblonde said:
They're making hay out of a reporter feeding the armor question to Rumsfeld the other day, but I thought it was a good question regardless of who thought of it. Rumsfeld replied with something like "we get the Army we've got, not the one we wish we had."

I'm not satisfied with that answer. We're either going to fight a war or we're not. The correct answer, I suspect, is that Congress hasn't approved the necessary funding to properly equip our troops. If that's the case, Rumsfeld needs to say so out in the open so we can all bombard our Congresspeople and DEMAND that they approve this funding IN FULL.

Our POC for 1st Cav instructed us not to send body armor to our soldier because they had everything they needed. Obviously this isn't the case with all divisions or Rumsfeld would have said so.

If Bush has to raise taxes or cut spending in other areas, so be it. I, personally, vote for "cutting spending in other areas". Because I have to tell ya, I'm not real compassionate toward some chickie with 6 kids getting welfare payments while our troops need body and vehicle armor.

Sounds about right...

Christy

b*tch rocket
vraiblonde said:
I don't even think it's that. You have any idea how long it takes these days to put contracts through to ramp up on production? You have to put out the bid. God forbid you used common sense and just give the money to who is already producing it. You see how they've gone after Haliburton because of their no bid contracts. :duh: Not to mention the time it takes Industry to modify their factories to be able to pump that stuff out? It's gov't bureuocracy at it's best.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Christy said:
It's gov't bureuocracy at it's best.
That makes sense. Rumsfeld also said that it was a production issue, so that ties in with what you're saying. You'd think they'd do away with that stupidity during war time.

D

dems4me

vraiblonde said:
That makes sense. Rumsfeld also said that it was a production issue, so that ties in with what you're saying. You'd think they'd do away with that stupidity during war time.

I agree, but I don't think it is a supply and demand issue .... albeit making the body armor expensive for whoever is currently making it ... I mean really... a GrandMother was able to send it to her Grandson. In the meantime can't we as citizens send over the armor or start a campaign to donate money to familes that has relatives over there without the proper body armor? Just as some sort of from the homeland grassroots folks trying to do what they can to support our troops :shrug:

D

dems4me

Fruitcake Lady said:
Maybe I should send over some of my fruitcake. It could make a wonderful, and tasty, body armour.

You could also knock a few Iraqis out with those in one fail swoop blow to the head... :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
dems4me said:
a GrandMother was able to send it to her Grandson.
That's what Christy is saying. Grandma can buy the armor wherever she wants, without taking bids or going through a procurement process. The government has to do things a certain way or people start #####ing and suing. Then the Democrats will start investigations on any ties between the Bush Administration and whoever they get to manufacture the armor - "The guy that works on the assembly line at XYZ factory has a brother who went to the same church as Dick Cheney's cousin's wife's uncle! Corruption! Cronyism!!!"

:rolleyes:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
dems4me said:
You could also knock a few Iraqis out with those in one fail swoop blow to the head... :yay:
And have to listen to the liberals complain about cruel and unusual punishment? No thanks.

D

dems4me

vraiblonde said:
That's what Christy is saying. Grandma can buy the armor wherever she wants, without taking bids or going through a procurement process. The government has to do things a certain way or people start #####ing and suing. Then the Democrats will start investigations on any ties between the Bush Administration and whoever they get to manufacture the armor - "The guy that works on the assembly line at XYZ factory has a brother who went to the same church as Dick Cheney's cousin's wife's uncle! Corruption! Cronyism!!!"

:rolleyes:

Its irregardless to me and I want to help -- if y'all know of a soldier or two in need of body armor, let me know.... I have given up on the government doing anything about this issue... as this has been an issue for as long as it has (since we've been in Iraq) and nothing is getting done about it.... all the while keep throwing more troops into battle. We are at war for shitz sake... I don't think the Dems will be upset if Bush just signs an order to get these armor suits to the troops. Alot of Dems are against the war but support the troops and would vote for anything to save the loss of lives. The Haliburton nobid contract wasn't a do or die deal.... so yes folks were upset about not taking the time to allow an open bidding season... In my opinion this is like comparing apples to oranges... the body armor suit issue is a life or death issue for our soldiers... what ever red tape that is involved should be bypassed immediately. :mad: If I had a relative over there I'd say **** the nobid contract on this issue... I'd hate to have lost a loved one because of the redtape being an issue.... - why wasn't this thought out before we even went over there :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dems4me

vraiblonde said:
And have to listen to the liberals complain about cruel and unusual punishment? No thanks.

Why do you have this strong HATRED for liberals or dems:shrug: all of us are not bad... the same as republicans... :frown:

:huggy:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
dems4me said:
The Haliburton nobid contract wasn't a do or die deal....
Wrong. Halliburton was originally contracted to make emergency repairs to the Iraqui oil infrastructure. Key word: Emergency.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
The Haliburton nobid contract wasn't a do or die deal.... so yes folks were upset about not taking the time to allow an open bidding season...
:confused: You want to have an open bidding season for the logistical support for an invasion? That would be tipping your hand to the enemy, wouldn't it? Thereby placing our troops that are going into harm's way in even greater danger by establishing when the attack will start (based on when services will be needed).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
dems4me said:
Why do you have this strong HATRED for liberals or dems
Who ties up our court system with stupid lawsuits about saying the Pledge of Allegiance in schools? Liberals.

Who wants to investigate every Iraqi prisoner who gets a hangnail? Liberals.

Who raised a stink about the no-bid Halliburton contract? Liberals.

Who thinks the US should have stayed out of Iraq and just left those people to die? Liberals.

Who is calling our President "Hitler" and saying he's worse than Saddam Hussein? Liberals.

Who wants to overthrow a free election because they didn't get their way? Liberals.

Who likens Condoleeza Rice to Aunt Jemima and writes poems about her rhyming her name with "Skeeza"? Liberals.

Who wants violent criminals to either A) be freed or B) drain our tax dollars by sitting in jail for life? Liberals.

What was your question again? :bubble:

D

dems4me

Ken King said:
:confused: You want to have an open bidding season for the logistical support for an invasion? That would be tipping your hand to the enemy, wouldn't it? Thereby placing our troops that are going into harm's way in even greater danger by establishing when the attack will start (based on when services will be needed).

no no no.... what I'm saying is don't send them over their if they don't have the fullest protection so that they can come back when its all said and done. As for the emerency infra oil stuff (their problem not ours at the time) ... oh heck... we are just going to disagree anyways.

Not to pull a sparx on ya' but I do really have to run... I just noticed the time and I told some friends I'd pick them up so I can haul their tree for them...I was supposed to be over there at 1:30 :yikes:

D

dems4me

vraiblonde said:
Who ties up our court system with stupid lawsuits about saying the Pledge of Allegiance in schools? Liberals.

Who wants to investigate every Iraqi prisoner who gets a hangnail? Liberals.

Who raised a stink about the no-bid Halliburton contract? Liberals.

Who thinks the US should have stayed out of Iraq and just left those people to die? Liberals.

Who is calling our President "Hitler" and saying he's worse than Saddam Hussein? Liberals.

Who wants to overthrow a free election because they didn't get their way? Liberals.

Who likens Condoleeza Rice to Aunt Jemima and writes poems about her rhyming her name with "Skeeza"? Liberals.

Who wants violent criminals to either A) be freed or B) drain our tax dollars by sitting in jail for life? Liberals.

What was your question again? :bubble:

Only 8 complaints :shrug: even I have more than 8 complaints about the dem party... but soo much more positives that outweight it...
You put a lot of effort into your post... can you please expend the energy to say 8 good things about the dem party... and I will reply in kind to the Rep. party.... In my opinion, United States is not about one party or another -- its about the party's coming to an amicable compromise :shrug: there's good and bad in both party's -- as in people... I try to find the good in it.