Push for 'shall-issue' concealed carry in MD

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
We have a serious push underway for 'shall-issue' concealed carry. There are a group of experienced activists behind this. There have been shall-issue laws introduced the last couple of years but they did not have an organized effort behind them. Right now every state surrounding us has shall-issue. The time is right, and we are pro-active this time!

.... but it ain't gonna happen without your help!

http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Spoiled

I think i will pass on this one...

Is there a counter petition i can sign somewhere or something... I think i will email my representatives...

SmallTown

Football season!
Spoiled said:

Is there a counter petition i can sign somewhere or something... I think i will email my representatives...
email them what? That you want a new p#### law that says criminals aren't allowed to come after you? :confused:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Spoiled said:

So because you don't like guns you want to prevent others from protecting themselves. I'll counter your effort and get a couple dozen friends to endorse the concept too.

Spoiled

SmallTown said:
email them what? That you want a new p#### law that says criminals aren't allowed to come after you? :confused:
To tell them i think the gun laws are fine now, maybe put stricter restrictions on hand-held firearms

Ken King

PREMO Member
Spoiled said:
To tell them i think the gun laws are fine now, maybe put stricter restrictions on hand-held firearms
Further restrict law abiding citizens from the right to protect themselves so that criminals know we can't prevent them from attacking us. You truly have no clue.

SmallTown

Football season!
Spoiled said:
I have always questioned the "extra" laws for hand-helds. I'm not sure about MD, but here in VA I can go into any store just pick up 10 shot guns and rifles, yet I can only get 1 handgun per month. I don't think they even do background checks here on rifles or shotguns. But if someone wants to do damage, they could probably do a lot more with rifles and shotguns than they can with hand guns. Yet everyone is afraid of hand guns. Odd.

Spoiled

SmallTown said:
I have always questioned the "extra" laws for hand-helds. I'm not sure about MD, but here in VA I can go into any store just pick up 10 shot guns and rifles, yet I can only get 1 handgun per month. I don't think they even do background checks here on rifles or shotguns. But if someone wants to do damage, they could probably do a lot more with rifles and shotguns than they can with hand guns. Yet everyone is afraid of hand guns. Odd.
If someone is annoying you, and you see them holding a shotgun will you feel intimidated, and watch more closely what you say. You know what you are up against when they cant hide it. If they can hide it you have no idea.

edit:
Who ever said i was a "retarded dick": I am just voicing my opinion as these people are. If that makes me a retard then so be it ;\ :killingme

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Someone please inform my gun-law-ignorant mind and just give me a brief synopsis as to what "shall-issue" means and how it would change the existing laws.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Spoiled said:
If someone is annoying you, and you see them holding a shotgun will you feel intimidated, and watch more closely what you say. You know what you are up against when they cant hide it. If they can hide it you have no idea.

edit:
Who ever said i was a "retarded dick": I am just voicing my opinion as these people are. If that makes me a retard then so be it ;\ :killingme
This shows just how out of touch you are. Use of a weapon because of what someone says is never justified. But if there is a chance that a criminal has to think about whether or not a person is armed before attacking them then maybe crime rates will drop. Or do you like the fact that we are in the top ten percent in the nation for being victimized?

Ken King

PREMO Member
Currently our laws are the "may issue" type based on arbitrary review by the Secretary of the State Police. Shall issue means that if you can legally possess a weapon under law then you can apply for the permit and unless something shows up on your record you are issued the permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
So basically if you can purchase a handgun you will be able to apply for a concealed carry permit? Sort of like an innocent until proven guilty state of mind (without the negative connotations that brings to the table, I'm just trying to compare it to a concept I know).

Ken King

PREMO Member
Nickel said:
So basically if you can purchase a handgun you will be able to apply for a concealed carry permit? Sort of like an innocent until proven guilty state of mind (without the negative connotations that brings to the table, I'm just trying to compare it to a concept I know).
That is basically it.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Ken King said:
Currently our laws are the "may issue" type based on arbitrary review by the Secretary of the State Police. Shall issue means that if you can legally possess a weapon under law then you can apply for the permit and unless something shows up on your record you are issued the permit to carry a concealed weapon.
Don't laugh, But I am for this effort.

There are criminals out here who don't care one way or another. They sure as hell don't worry about the laws concerning the legal carrying of a firearm.

I agree with the previous statements: if these criminals knew we were legally carrying a firearm(pistol), I think we'd see less assaults, less robberies, break-ins, probably less hijacking of motor vehicles too.

The police cannot be everywhere at once; so who is going to protect you in the time it takes for them to respond?

I can't/won't quote the typical time needed for the police to arrive at the scene of a disturbance; is it long enough for you to die from a gunshot fired by a felon?

I wouldn't want to place a bet on it.

Ken King

PREMO Member

Ken King

PREMO Member
Penn said:
The police cannot be everywhere at once; so who is going to protect you in the time it takes for them to respond?
The police prevent very few crimes, it is their job to investigate and apprehend after the fact. As citizens we have the right to defend ourselves but Maryland has stripped us of the ability to do so by the current process of obtaining the stringent and arbitrary approval of the Secretary of the State Police before a permit is issued.

Spoiled

Ken King said:
So what is your point, this isn't Australia? And did you read the information from the link that 2nd A provided in the initial post? Also I notice you don't speak to the fact that Maryland is up near the top of the crime heap. I guess you like us up there for some reason and seek to limit our ability to defend ourselves.
My point is its :deadhorse...

That site gives a lot of 'facts' with no citations (unless i missed them)... I am sure i can find an anti-gun site that will give ocunter 'facts' for ever 'fact' on that site. We all know this though. Its one of the 'cliche' things to argue about. There are more factors than just "more guns = less crime". Hand guns are easy enough to get as it is. Why make it easier?
I had a friend who was 16, carried a hand gun with him... Took it to school sometimes (great mills). Took it to work, parties where underaged drinking occured (mind you he went to sleep woke up and it was gone). Was he looking to commit violent crimes? Nope... Was it for protection? Doubtful, he just liked to say he had it...

Spoiled

Ken King said:
The police prevent very few crimes, it is their job to investigate and apprehend after the fact. As citizens we have the right to defend ourselves but Maryland has stripped us of the ability to do so by the current process of obtaining the stringent and arbitrary approval of the Secretary of the State Police before a permit is issued.

The police keep me inline... I dont rob banks, steal from walmart, etc... because i know i will probably be cought, they do prevent crime. Crime will happen regardless, a gun wont prevent it, it could be intervention though. Just as easily it could be an aide in the crime.

for the record: I didnt take your right(s) away, I couldnt vote when it was done, that was you and/or your peers... You didnt do enough to influence them.