Do you treat people differently..?.

Do you treat people differently based on their politcal beliefs?

• Total voters

Spoiled

Do you treat people differently based upon their political affiliation? People here at college often do...

and i get mega-negative comments any time I say anything slightly liberal (as im sure i am going to for this)

SamSpade

Spoiled said:
Do you treat people differently based upon their political affiliation? People here at college often do...

and i get mega-negative comments any time I say anything slightly liberal (as im sure i am going to for this)
If you do - and that does surprise me a bit, but you would know - you know exactly how conservatives feel in places like DC, or in most colleges across the country, especially in class with their professors.

I don't treat them differently - but I am cautious about what subjects I broach. I'm tired of the endless tirades of uninformed Bush-bashing and conspiracy stories.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I don't treat them any differently - unless - they start telling me stories about how their guy lost, the unfairness of it all, yada, yada, yada.Oh, if they go on about how Howard Dean is going to change the shape and face of the Democratic Party, I burst out in inexplicable laughter! :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Spoiled said:
Do you treat people differently based upon their political affiliation?
Not sure what you mean by that. If you mean do I shun them and throw rotten eggs at liberals, no. I have friends IRL that are libby nutballs - we laugh and tease each other about it.

My grandmother, however, is an ignorant, uninformed Democrat. Yellow Dog, if you will. For example, I said, "You know, Gran, it surprises me that you're big on Kerry after the way he acted after he came back from Vietnam, calling our guys baby killers and accusing them of war crimes." She's never had anything nice to say about Vietnam protesters and she loathes Jane Fonda.

She said, "He never did that. The news people make that stuff up so Bush will win the election."

THAT, I cannot tolerate. So I just don't talk politics with her and, if she starts, I try to steer the conversation somewhere else. And I do find myself treating her differently now and I don't call as often.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Actually I find that I treat people differently based on whether I like them. I have some excellent friends that are liberal, we get along famously. There are also some conservatives that just annoy the heck out of me so I avoid them.

That being said I should add that the jerk behind me tossing peanuts at the New York fans did not add to his stock when he began bragging about how he worked for the UN, and that Bush was a crook, etc. What an a-hole! If the NY fans had pushed the issue and attacked him I think I would have helped them even though UN boy was a Ravens fan!

I'm surprised you're getting push back on a college campus. Are you espousing some manner of ultra-liberalism? I can't believe that this is just run-of-the mill stuff. Did you see Janey's thread about this issue at Frostburg? I'll post a link if I can find it.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Spoiled said:

I am friends with many that do not share my political beliefs and it isn't a factor I consider. As to your mega-negative comments received do you think it might just be that they see you as an ass and can't agree with anything you espouse even if they in principle believe the same?

SmallTown

Football season!
Yes, I treat republicans different IRL... Chances are pretty favorable that they are packing, so I do my best not to piss them off :lmao:

ylexot

Super Genius
vraiblonde said:
Not sure what you mean by that. If you mean do I shun them and throw rotten eggs at liberals, no. I have friends IRL that are libby nutballs - we laugh and tease each other about it.

My grandmother, however, is an ignorant, uninformed Democrat. Yellow Dog, if you will. For example, I said, "You know, Gran, it surprises me that you're big on Kerry after the way he acted after he came back from Vietnam, calling our guys baby killers and accusing them of war crimes." She's never had anything nice to say about Vietnam protesters and she loathes Jane Fonda.

She said, "He never did that. The news people make that stuff up so Bush will win the election."

THAT, I cannot tolerate. So I just don't talk politics with her and, if she starts, I try to steer the conversation somewhere else. And I do find myself treating her differently now and I don't call as often.
:yeahthat: I don't treat Libs differently, but I do like to have political debates with them. Now that I think about it...maybe that is being cruel to them.

D

dems4me

vraiblonde said:

In my opinion, I think you should respect your elders :shrug: :frown:

I don't think you should push your grandmother away because of her political views or speak to her less -- soo many times I wish my grandmothers were around - just to talk about history, get an older person's perspective, etc... I think you are very lucky to still have one alive and should cherish your time with her.

Just this weekend, I lost another relative :frown: It's my mother's aunt in NY (Staten Island) the one where I was telling y'all about her telling me the drunks are the one's that hit the potholes. :frown:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Spoiled said:
Do you treat people differently based upon their political affiliation?
I don't much care about someone else's political affiliation til they star spouting nonesense like you did in the "Shall Issue" thread. Do some reasearch and you'll find gun control laws have a racist history. That's why cities (large black populations) have the most strict regs.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
dems4me said:
In my opinion, I think you should respect your elders
Did you miss the part where I said I steer the conversation away when she starts going off on her idiotic conspiracy theories? :tap:
soo many times I wish my grandmothers were around
Good. I'll give you my grandmother's phone number and you all can sit around all day talking about the Bush Evil Empire and how the media made up lies about Bill Clinton, Al Gore and John Kerry to make them look bad.

According to my grandmother, Bill Clinton was a good and faithful husband to Hillary. The media made up that whole Monica Lewinsky business to try and bring him down.

You have fun, and tell her I said hi.

D

dems4me

vraiblonde said:
Did you miss the part where I said I steer the conversation away when she starts going off on her idiotic conspiracy theories? :tap:

Good. I'll give you my grandmother's phone number and you all can sit around all day talking about the Bush Evil Empire and how the media made up lies about Bill Clinton, Al Gore and John Kerry to make them look bad.

According to my grandmother, Bill Clinton was a good and faithful husband to Hillary. The media made up that whole Monica Lewinsky business to try and bring him down.

You have fun, and tell her I said hi.

:killingme: Thanks! :flowers: :dance:

J.South

Let's get drunk
Alot repubs that I spoken to are close minded people and it's useless discussing because alot of them take it as a personal attack.

Sparx

I didn't used to treat them differently until I posted my first post on here and Vrai attacked me like I was spreading the Plague.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sparx said:
I didn't used to treat them differently until I posted my first post on here and Vrai attacked me like I was spreading the Plague.
Oh yeah - so I am solely responsible for the way you interact with those who don't share your political views. Man, am I powerful.

:rolleyes:

D

dems4me

Sparx said:

:killingme: :killingme: :roflmao:
:killingme:

D

dems4me

vraiblonde said:
Oh yeah - so I am solely responsible for the way you interact with those who don't share your political views. Man, am I powerful.

:rolleyes:

:killingme: :roflmao: