Relocating

S

Sherry

Hi,
My husband is relocating to Southern Maryland very soon. I hope to join him in a few months. I am a middle school teacher (8th Grade) in a rural community of Southwest Virginia. What should I know about this area? Will I have a problem finding employment? What are the winters like? Do you have any snow? We are thinking Calvert would be the place to settle. Is that a good decision?
Let me hear from you.

SxyPrincess

Nope...usually doesn't snow around these parts. I've lived in somd all my life and have only seen it snow once. :eek: A light windbreaker should be enough in the "Winter" months. :biggrin:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Sxy, you are soooo bad. Help the poor girl out.

Sherry, What part of Calvert? Don't know much about the school since my son is only 11 months. Winter depends on the year. Sometimes they're really ugly and sometimes they're pretty mild.

J

justhangn

Re: Re: Re: job situation

Originally posted by BchBns

well, was I wrong? :wink:

Too true, just yanking your chain!

I would think that a teacher would have a better shot at getting a J O B than most around here.

I would also suggest that she go on the web and start looking for a job now and set up some phone interviews.

Just a thought.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Sherry,

It isn’t that bad around here. For the weather we sometimes get snow, not often enough lately, but we do have all four seasons. It can get below zero in the winter and above 100 in the summer (not to mention the humidity). Employment isn’t that bad around here either and the schools are always looking for good teachers. There are as many, if not more, private schools than public schools in the area so don’t forget about them. Try these links for St. Mary’s County public schools.

http://www.smcps.k12.md.us/hr/teach.shtml

S

Sherry

Thanks for the info. We have our own good ol'boy nework here too. Just have to learn to work around it. I am from a small town in East Tennessee and it is (was) the same there. After some of the ol'boys passed on things started to change. Rogersville ended up with a K-mart, Walmart, and several fast food places. so maybe there is hope for all of us.

Y

yornoc

Calvert has pretty good schools and is still expanding. They just start building a new high school in the central part of the county. If your husband will be working on or close to the navy base, you might want to stay in the central to southern part of Calvert County. St. Mary's is not bad either.

There are 6 public schools (I think... I'm trying to do this from memory) in Southern Calvert County. I think at least 2 of them are middle schools.

As for house prices, you might get a better deal in Calvert... that is also my opinion...

Good luck and Welcome!

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
I would suggest Calvert if you're looking to buy a home since it is a little cheaper there. But if you're looking for something temporary until you get set up, such as a rental, St. Mary's has much more in the line of condos & townhouses, I think.

S

Sherry

Thanks for all the good info. I am looking forward to getting there!!

Atir211

Gesssh Sxy, just what was in your wheaties this morning???

Hey Sherry - it ain't all that bad around here!!! As for jobs, I know that Charles County Schools were really desperate for teachers last year, a friend of mine was recruited from the PA area to come and work. They found him a rental house, etc. As far as I know, they are still hurting for teachers, so you shouldn't have a hard time. I'm gonna go against the grain here, cuz I really like living around this area(when snipers aren't out to get ya) In this area, your within 2 hours of everything - beach, mountains, city, etc. Good luck to you and hubby!!!!

S

Sherry

Thanks so much. I really think the area is beautiful (from the photos my husband brought back.) He will be working for Sabre as an instructor of S.A.P. They get very upset if you call it sap. HA I hate leaving here. We have been in southwest VA. for 16 years now. It is close to our parents who are having health problems now, but there is nothing here for Jon.
He has been out of work since late June. A company downsizing. We are originally from Tennessee and are dyed in the wool Tennessee fans!
Hope we can find a few more like us, if not, just look for the UT flags!

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Sherry...

Don't believe the part about the light windbreaker, but you can believe the part about the weather being "about the same" as where you're living.
By the way, what ARE you wearing now?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Gesssh Sxy, just what was in your wheaties this morning???

Not her wheaties at all. I caught her this morning sneaking into my smartass pills again. She managed to get a whole handful down before I could stop her. :biggrin:

As Bk would say.... True story!

S

Sherry

As I said, I maybe new, but I am not dumb. Use your imagination. It will be much better than anything I could say!