Glad to see this lie stopped...

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Larry Gude said:
http://www.wnbc.com/health/4061852/detail.html

Flossing has become near and dear to my heart in the last year.

I've tried every floss in the grocery store, of all makes and thicknesses. My teeth are too tightly packed to floss without cutting my gums up to shreds. I even tried one of those Oral B Hummingbirds, and it still cut me up between the molars.

I can't help but wonder if the continuous damage to my gums from flossing is worse than not flossing at all.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What my dentist said...

...and I guess I actually, finally, listened to was that bacteria builds up between your teeth where the brush can't reach. They take about 24 hours to start to colonize, to build and grow. Flossing simply disrupts this process and makes the bacteria constantly start over, never getting anywhere IF YOU FLOSS once every 24 hours.

Mouthwash CANNOT physically disrupt this biological fact. It helps wash them away AFTER you floss but better to floss and not rinse than vice a verca.

He also had literature about overall health and oral health. I have not been sick since I started flossing every day, over a year. Not even a cold.

Makes sense to me. Bacteria, germs, start in your mouth and viola...

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
sleuth said:
I've tried every floss in the grocery store, of all makes and thicknesses. My teeth are too tightly packed to floss without cutting my gums up to shreds. I even tried one of those Oral B Hummingbirds, and it still cut me up between the molars.

I can't help but wonder if the continuous damage to my gums from flossing is worse than not flossing at all.

I have the same problem of closely aligned teeth. A friend, who is a hygienist, once showed me how to floss appropriately - for me. Next visit to the dentist, or schedule an appointment soon, ask thehygienist or dentist to work with you and demonstrate the best way for you to floss without harming your gums.

:shrug:

turtlebanana

My problem is that McNeil-PPC Inc., a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, did not file a suit to protect consumers from any damage caused by not flossing and rinsing instead. Their suit was for unfair advertising causeing damage to their future sales. Neither company is worried about us, just their profit margins.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
turtlebanana said:
Neither company is worried about us, just their profit margins.
Well, that's to be expected.

Sleuth, it's not the floss that's "tearing up your gums". The reason your gums bleed when you floss is because bacteria has deteriorated the tissue. Go to the dentist and get your teeth cleaned - your gums will bleed like a maniac. But then floss every night and they'll never bleed again.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
turtlebanana said:
My problem is that McNeil-PPC Inc., a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, did not file a suit to protect consumers from any damage caused by not flossing and rinsing instead. Their suit was for unfair advertising causeing damage to their future sales. Neither company is worried about us, just their profit margins.

And that's because Pfizer never told people to stop flossing and only use LISTERINE. In fact, the LISTERINE adverts specifically said "...as good as..." which is a whole lot different than "...better than..."

Larry notes that a mouth wash gets rinsed out and cannot affect the flora between the teeth and that's true if you use the mouthwash as a rinse.

I've suffered periodontal disease for 15 years and use LISTERINE every morning but I use it as directed. You gotta keep it in there swishing vigorously a full 60 seconds before you gargle and spit. (Try timing how long you can tolerate full-strength LISTERINE in your mouth tomorrow.)

I also floss and bristle twice daily. (Bristling means a stiff bristle brush gets pushed between all the teeth from inside and out. It's miserable.) But the periodontal disease comes under control with every-three-month cleanings.

Last edited:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Larry Gude said:
...our dentist says to try for a minute!

Rinse with warm water for a true manly test!
In fact, the 60 minute rinse was a revision to my post that I tried to make (but you were too quick).

OOOOOOOoooooh, Larry...:larry:

Medical benefits of dental floss unproven.

http://www.fox5dc.com/health/184320031-story

The federal government has recommended flossing since 1979, first in a surgeon general's report and later in the Dietary Guidelines for Americans issued every five years. The guidelines must be based on scientific evidence, under the law.

Last year, the Associated Press asked the departments of Health and Human Services and Agriculture for their evidence, and followed up with written requests under the Freedom of Information Act.

When the federal government issued its latest dietary guidelines this year, the flossing recommendation had been removed, without notice. In a letter to the AP, the government acknowledged the effectiveness of flossing had never been researched, as required.

The AP looked at the most rigorous research conducted over the past decade, focusing on 25 studies that generally compared the use of a toothbrush with the combination of toothbrushes and floss. The findings? The evidence for flossing is "weak, very unreliable," of "very low" quality, and carries "a moderate to large potential for bias."

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R

True. Same with insurance.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R

Did you try Glide?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Reading the piece it sounds like an article written to discredit wearing seat belts because the research wasn't done 'properly' whereby it may be technically correct but no one saw the need to spend the time and effort on something so blatantly obvious. Hmmm...

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, sounds like maybe the floss people didn't pay enough protection money.......

and in case sleuth is still working this issue, I use "Super Floss", that's really the name. Have since I got my first bridge. It's whats called threader floss. One end is stiffened to allow you to guide it under a bridge. Also lets you push it between teeth at the base. That particular brand is pretty tough, like a ship hawser, my gums have calluses from it, I think. :) There is another brand, a bit soft for my taste, but if the Super Floss is too rough, this other stuff is milder.

Ah, the other stuff is called "Glide" And it does. whereas the Super floss is more like a rasp :)

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yep, sounds like maybe the floss people didn't pay enough protection money.......

and in case sleuth is still working this issue, I use "Super Floss", that's really the name. Have since I got my first bridge. It's whats called threader floss. One end is stiffened to allow you to guide it under a bridge. Also lets you push it between teeth at the base. That particular brand is pretty tough, like a ship hawser, my gums have calluses from it, I think. :) There is another brand, a bit soft for my taste, but if the Super Floss is too rough, this other stuff is milder.

Ah, the other stuff is called "Glide" And it does. whereas the Super floss is more like a rasp :)

I looked up the writer. He did a series for AP on the safety of nuclear reactors and was panned by some of his peers for doing a bit too much he said/she said and not enough thorough investigating and follow up. So, that would suggest he's a bit of a sensationalist and now this piece reads like a head in the sand, nothing to see here piece.

In any event, I guess it's technically correct, not enough proper research but, damn, do we need proper research to tell us getting gunk out from between our gums is good for us? What next, arm pit washing dropped from recommendations due to incomplete research?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I do not care what dentists or floss haters or anyone else says - I am flossing my teeth. Every single night, and sometimes during the day. I hate having crap stuck in my teeth.

SamSpade

I do not care what dentists or floss haters or anyone else says - I am flossing my teeth. Every single night, and sometimes during the day. I hate having crap stuck in my teeth.

Well - that. Whenever I eat ribs or corned beef - I end up with stuff in there and it's painful. THEN I do it.

But I don't do it - just "because". Most of the time, there's nothing to bring out, and my gums *ALWAYS BLEED* no matter how soft the floss is and how often I keep it up.
It's why I keep mouthwash nearby - not for fresh breath, but to wash away the blood.

Although THAT does tend to make my breath stink.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I will floss regularly, and will continue to do so using Glide. It simply cleans the gums and feels better to have flossed, sometimes to the point of not wanting to brush, but I do. I have one tooth that will bleed a bit every time for whatever reason, but for the most part, it is a bloodless and painless effort.

Floss on!

Hijinx

I use the floss picks. A piece of plastic tooth pick with a small piece of floss attached.