WHere Was God?

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Trying not to cross post here, but this made me think about questioning God, and also has a reference to 2 different translations of words from Job (which gets back to another discussion thread). SOmeone mentioned in another thread about the 150,000 tsunami vistims deserving what they got and it again made me think of Safire's column below.

Where Was God
By WIlliam Safire
Published January 10 2005

Washington

In the aftermath of a cataclysm, with pictures of parents sobbing over dead infants driven into human consciousness around the globe, faith-shaking questions arise: Where was God? Why does a good and all-powerful deity permit such evil and grief to fall on so many thousands of innocents? What did these people do to deserve such suffering?

After a similar natural disaster wiped out tens of thousands of lives in Lisbon in the 18th century, the philosopher Voltaire wrote "Candide," savagely satirizing optimists who still found comfort and hope in God. After last month's Indian Ocean tsunami, the same anguished questioning is in the minds of millions of religious believers.

Turn to the Book of Job in the Hebrew Bible. It was written some 2,500 years ago during what must have been a crisis of faith. The covenant with Abraham - worship the one God, and his people would be protected - didn't seem to be working. The good died young, the wicked prospered; where was the promised justice?

The poet-priest who wrote this book began with a dialogue between God and the Satan, then a kind of prosecuting angel. When God pointed to "my servant Job" as most upright and devout, the Satan suggested Job worshipped God only because he had been given power and riches. On a bet that Job would stay faithful, God let the angel take the good man's possessions, kill his children and afflict him with loathsome boils.

The first point the Book of Job made was that suffering is not evidence of sin. When Job's friends said that he must have done something awful to deserve such misery, the reader knows that is false. Job's suffering was a test of his faith: even as he grew angry with God for being unjust - wishing he could sue him in a court of law - he never abandoned his belief.

And did this righteous Gentile get furious: "Damn the day that I was born!" Forget the so-called "patience of Job"; that legend is blown away by the shockingly irreverent biblical narrative. Job's famous expression of meek acceptance in the 1611 King James Version - "though he slay me, yet will I trust in him" - was a blatant misreading by nervous translators. Modern scholarship offers a much different translation: "He may slay me, I'll not quaver."

The point of Job's gutsy defiance of God's injustice - right there in the Bible - is that it is not blasphemous to challenge the highest authority when it inflicts a moral wrong (Italics mine, AMP). (I titled a book on this "The First Dissident.") Indeed, Job's demand that his unseen adversary show up at a trial with a written indictment gets an unexpected reaction: in a thunderous theophany, God appears before the startled man with the longest and most beautifully poetic speech attributed directly to him in Scripture.

Frankly, God's voice "out of the whirlwind" carries a message not all that satisfying to those wondering about moral mismanagement. Virginia Woolf wrote in her journal "I read the Book of Job last night - I don't think God comes well out of it."

The powerful voice demands of puny Man: "Where were you when I laid the Earth's foundations?" Summoning an image of the mythic sea-monster symbolizing Chaos, God asks, "Canst thou draw out Leviathan with a hook?" The poet-priest's point, I think, is that God is occupied bringing light to darkness, imposing physical order on chaos, and leaves his human creations free to work out moral justice on their own. (Italics mine, AMP)

Job's moral outrage caused God to appear, thereby demonstrating that the sufferer who believes is never alone. Job abruptly stops complaining, and - in a prosaic happy ending that strikes me as tacked on by other sages so as to get the troublesome book accepted in the Hebrew canon - he is rewarded. (Christianity promises to rectify earthly injustice in an afterlife.)

Job's lessons for today:

(1) Victims of this cataclysm in no way "deserved" a fate inflicted by the Leviathanic force of nature.

(2) Questioning God's inscrutable ways has its exemplar in the Bible and need not undermine faith.

(3) Humanity's obligation to ameliorate injustice on earth is being expressed in a surge of generosity that refutes Voltaire's cynicism

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you're a true Christian, you do not fear death or natural disasters. You take what God hands you with a smile on your face and you meet your Maker with a clean heart. I had a guy once tell me, "God always answers your prayers - it's just sometimes he says 'No'."

I take the story of Job as a lesson in having the serenity to accept the things you cannot change, etc, etc. Which is a great way to live, whether you believe in God or not.

D

dems4me

vraiblonde said:
If you're a true Christian, you do not fear death or natural disasters. You take what God hands you with a smile on your face and you meet your Maker with a clean heart. I had a guy once tell me, "God always answers your prayers - it's just sometimes he says 'No'."

I take the story of Job as a lesson in having the serenity to accept the things you cannot change, etc, etc. Which is a great way to live, whether you believe in God or not.

I look at the Book of Job the same way and also to show man that man does not always know the answer... Job's friends and families kept accusing him of falling out of favor with the Lord, etc... I see it as a there's a reason for everything even if we don't know what the reason is... just as in Job's case. :huggy:

Good points all thus far...

dems4me said:
I look at the Book of Job the same way and also to show man that man does not always know the answer... Job's friends and families kept accusing him of falling out of favor with the Lord, etc... I see it as a there's a reason for everything even if we don't know what the reason is... just as in Job's case. :huggy:

And it's not our role to question God at this time, but HE is watching to see how we react to all of this.

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !
I am not directing this at anyone.

Lets say a 7 year old boy crashed his bike in a tree and breaks his arm.
Would his father be the one to blame?
Of course not, sometimes things happen.
However his father would be there to comfort him.

So how can anyone blame God our spiritual Father and Creator the God that comforts us.

God gave us the world !
We all know the world he created for us and the dangerous areas in it.
Everyone knows the dangers of living near the Sea or a Volcano or near a Fault line.
We live our lives where we choose, in disbelief that anything bad will happen to us.

God gave us free will, Free to live where ever and do what ever, good or bad.
So for God to intervene in life their would be no free will.
Yes it would have been nice if God would have intervened this time.
However if God did, God would have too all the time.
Then where would be free will.
Can we know Love without knowing grief ?
Or happiness with out unhappiness, good without bad?
The joy of winning with out a looser?

God is a grieving parent of his children, So please Give God a break.

K

Kain99

I must be having ...Reading Comprehension Breakdown Week..... What is he saying?

K

Kain99

vraiblonde said:
He's saying that God doesn't cause bad things to happen to you, but is there to comfort you when those things DO happen.
Well ..... I personally like to blame the Devil for everything bad. As for being happy when "God" kills 150,000 I don't think that comforts me.

Plus, I think it sucks that God gets such a bum rap! Things happen that we don't understand so we point to him? No way! It's just human ignorance at work.

I think people in general suck..... This kinda prove's it. :ohwell:

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !
Kain99 said:
Well .... As for being happy when "God" kills 150,000 I don't think that comforts me. :

Kain I understood everything you said but the above statement??

K

Kain99

gumbo said:
Kain I understood everything you said but the above statement??
Well... If the guy who posted this thread is saying God does bad things like the tsunami and we should be happy. I disagree.

God Loves his people and does not mass murder them.

I come from a "Daddy God" Philosophy.

POOH

Ugly women send me karma.
Kain99 said:
Well ..... I personally like to blame the Devil for everything bad. As for being happy when "God" kills 150,000 I don't think that comforts me.

Plus, I think it sucks that God gets such a bum rap! Things happen that we don't understand so we point to him? No way! It's just human ignorance at work.
Kain99 said:
I disagree.

So who do we blame for the flood that Noah built the ark.

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !
Kain99 said:
Well... If the guy who posted this thread is saying God does bad things like the tsunami and we should be happy. I disagree.

I come from a "Daddy God" Philosophy.

Amen Sister :yay:

K

Kain99

POOH said:
So who do we blame for the flood that Noah built the ark.
Blame Nature.... People back then had almost zero education.... when bad things happened they looked to God.

Really....

POOH

Ugly women send me karma.
Kain99 said:
Blame Nature.... People back then had almost zero education.... when bad things happened they looked to God.

Really....

What a load of poop, blame nature. I thought GOD created nature. He told Noha to build the ark cause he was going to KILL his people. GOD gets pissed and is vengeful

K

Kain99

POOH said:
What a load of poop, blame nature. I thought GOD created nature. He told Noha to build the ark cause he was going to KILL his people. GOD gets pissed and is vengeful
Maybe your God but not mine..... My God wants his babies to climb in his lap at the end of the day and tell him what is going on.

My God Loves.

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !
POOH said:
Look here Pooh :shutup: In those times folklores was a way to keep people in line.
They was uneducated,, So the fear of God was installed because of lack of laws.

I see why your in the red :ohwell:

K

Kain99

It's scary... Even now, people look to the sky and scream why!!

If only they knew, how he bled when tragedy strikes.

Two forces in this world...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Kain99 said:
Maybe your God but not mine.....
Kain, I think you're missing the point here. Forget tsunamis and floods - I think you're right that God had nothing to do with either of those things and it's a bunch of hocus pocus made up by ignorant people.

But that's neither here nor there. My take is that if you're in constant fear of sinning and looking over your shoulder for lightening bolts every 5 seconds, you're not doing it right. Religion and God are supposed to be a source of comfort in an ugly world. When things aren't going your way and you feel like the whole world is against you, you can find solace in prayer because God loves you and is always there for you.

I think if there was a God who created all of us, I think he'd want us to enjoy the lives he gave us. If you screw up your life with drugs or bad choices in men or a crappy attitude whatever, you're throwing God's gift back in his face and THAT is the biggest sin of all, in my opinion.

K

Kain99

vraiblonde said:
Kain, I think you're missing the point here. Forget tsunamis and floods - I think you're right that God had nothing to do with either of those things and it's a bunch of hocus pocus made up by ignorant people.

But that's neither here nor there. My take is that if you're in constant fear of sinning and looking over your shoulder for lightening bolts every 5 seconds, you're not doing it right. Religion and God are supposed to be a source of comfort in an ugly world. When things aren't going your way and you feel like the whole world is against you, you can find solace in prayer because God loves you and is always there for you.

I think if there was a God who created all of us, I think he'd want us to enjoy the lives he gave us. If you screw up your life with drugs or bad choices in men or a crappy attitude whatever, you're throwing God's gift back in his face and THAT is the biggest sin of all, in my opinion.

Well.... If that's it, I agree.... Must have been thrown of by the whole Job arguement. :ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Kain99 said:
Must have been thrown of by the whole Job arguement. :ohwell:
The story of Job is a wonderful lesson in taking what life hands you and being joyful anyway. Don't you know people who are disabled or have had some terrible tragedy happen to them, yet they still keep their chin up and have a positive outlook? It's because no matter how bleak things look, there's always something to be thankful for. Silver linings and all.

Man, all this healthy living has gone to my head. :dead: If April wasn't so close, I'd go kill a bag of Cheetos.