Southern MD: The Best and the Worst

pilot

I'm curious to know what people like the best and least about living in Southern MD?

"Best" is a tough one for me, because there are so many things! But, in a nutshell, I'd have to say it's a combination of geographic beauty and the fact that it's a nice combination of the advantages of a small town (quiet, peaceful atmosphere) and big city (lots of interesting people from all over).

The only real negative for me is distance from major airports. I hate it whenever I have to travel! Going to the airport is a major inconvenience.

Lack of shopping doesn't bother me too much. Fortunately, I moved here just when mail order and online shopping started getting really big! :smile:

K

Katie

The best is being able to drive 20 mintues and be in farm country. Also buying stuff from the Amish. I love the baked goods.

The worse is the travel time to an airport. Just got home from travel yesterday...yuck.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
The best is the peace and quiet, along with remoteness of neighbors... Well most of them anyway.

I love the quiet. :biggrin:

The worst is..... (For me anyhow) It's still Maryland. :wink:

blueeyes76

There are a lot of things I like about Southern Maryland, I'd have to choose the scenery as what I like best.

The worst has nothing to do with Southern Maryland. I don't like how the people (NOT ALL OF THEM) who aren't from around here look down on the locals. I hate when people use the term SMIB so freely and they don't even know what it means.

I grew up here. I remember when there wasn't even a mall in Waldorf, so I'm used to having to travel long distances for shopping. That doesn't bother me at all.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by blueeyes76
... I grew up here. I remember when there wasn't even a mall in Waldorf, ....
I can remember when there wasn't a St. Charles in Waldorf. :lol:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Uuugh! Errrrrrr! A-hem... Of course, at that time, I was just a kid! :lol:

There might even be a couple folks on here that remember the slots in Howards Restaurant.

Last edited:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I remember the Bob's Big Boy. I went to Ohio a couple years ago and was amazed they still had them there. I have pictures of me and ol' Bob out front.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by pixiegirl
I remember the Bob's Big Boy. I went to Ohio a couple years ago and was amazed they still had them there. I have pictures of me and ol' Bob out front.
I remember those from California when I was a kid. Seniors stole Bob one year for their prank.

K

Kizzy

:lol: My first job was at Bob's Big Boy in Waldorf. I was a waitress and wore the ugly brown uniform. I loved working there!

Jameo

What?!
Originally posted by blueeyes76
I don't like how the people (NOT ALL OF THEM) who aren't from around here look down on the locals. I hate when people use the term SMIB so freely and they don't even know what it means.

:yay:
If they don't like it here, including us locals, I tell 'em to get heck out :biggrin:

I've been here all my life and love the fact that you have the beach 3 hours away or the mountains 3 hours, or even the "big" city (if that's you cup of tea:barf:) an hours away. The biggest thing is the scenery and of course the water! Great fishing.

The only thing I don't like about this place is the way we are being over run by outsiders:burning: Go back to where you came from:mad: (just j/k, don't wanna ruffle anyones feathers!)

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Jameo
The only thing I don't like about this place is the way we are being over run by outsiders:burning: Go back to where you came from:mad: (just j/k, don't wanna ruffle anyones feathers!)
:bawl: Don't make me go! I love it here....

and I know where you live...... :biggrin:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
My thoughts..........

I love the fact that I can see the Chesapeake Bay through the trees from my deck. I love that I can go out on that same deck in just a t-shirt and nobody can see me. I love that I can hear the fog horns from the boats on a foggy night. I love that I can actually hear the Bay. I love that the deer walk through my yard and visit my apple trees. I love that I can look into the sky on a clear night and see the stars multiply. I love to see the lightening bugs light up the night in my trees. I love that my children grew up in a rural atmosphere and actually learned how to raise sheep. I love my humming birds, the foxes, the oppossum, and yes, even the mice. I love the fact that I can have crabs at a moment’s notice, caught fresh and cooked to perfection by my father.

I hate the commute to Washington, DC to work. I’ve lived in Prince Frederick for 14 years, moving from Seabrook, Maryland. I believe my children benefited from growing up in Prince Frederick and attending the schools. I think things are changing and it’s become faster-paced and more crowded but I love it here.

SmallTown

Football season!
Best- We're in the middle of nowhere
Worst - We're in the middle of nowhere

Its a blessing and a curse

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by SmallTown
Best- We're in the middle of nowhere
Worst - We're in the middle of nowhere
Its a blessing and a curse
:lmao:

I hope for your sake your job never puts you in some place like Lewistown, Montana or Redbird, Wyoming! They'd have to keep you from sharp objects and rope. :lmao:

Darlene

The best thing is that most of my family lives here. Also, the stuffed ham :) I cant ever remember a holiday without stuffed ham.

The worst thing is listening to people who don"t want to be here and complain about it. :frown:

Atir211

The worst thing is listening to people who don"t want to be here and complain about it. :frown: [/B][/QUOTE]

I second that one Darlene - the best thing is that it's HOME, It feels like home, looks like home and is home! And I love the season changes - some winters are alitte tuff and some summers alittle humid at times, but WOW - spring & fall here are awesome!