Truck Rental

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Does anybody have any experience with truck rentals? I'm renting one to move some stuff from St Louis to Lex Park. UHaul wants $750, Penske wants $550, and Ryder wants $475. Why the big diff? Is UHaul that much better? I obviously don't want to break down in the West Virginia mountains, but I don't want to spend $300 more than I have to. Let me know. Thanx.

MDindef

Ask questions like "Is mileage included?" Some of the differences you're seeing may be the difference in the "per mile" charge. It's absolutely never 29.95 per day as advertised when you add in the extras. I would say that you probably don't have Penske's "final" price in hand yet.

SmallTown

Football season!
I agree that you need to make sure what is included with the price (mileage)

I know people who use Penske without any problems. Back when I was in school I worked at aplace that did UHaul rentals and there were all kinds of problems with them breaking down.. Don't know if the others are the same or not

Delilah903

Originally posted by MDindef
Ask questions like "Is mileage included?" Some of the differences you're seeing may be the difference in the "per mile" charge. It's absolutely never 29.95 per day as advertised when you add in the extras. I would say that you probably don't have Penske's "final" price in hand yet.

Yes! Most definitely find out what is included in the final price. Small items like an engine, transmission, headlights and brakes can make all the difference!!!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I've moved several times in the past 5 years and have the best experience with Penske BY FAR! I had a Uhaul break down on me not even 1/2 a mile from my house. I had a Ryder that both headlights went out on at 9:00 at night. The Penske truck was clean and ran very well. I think it was relatively cheap compared to the other two as well.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Pixie..I swear our lives mirror each other. I moved so much in my early 20's, my dad said he was gonna put wheels on my furniture.:biggrin:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by cattitude
Pixie..I swear our lives mirror each other. I moved so much in my early 20's, my dad said he was gonna put wheels on my furniture.:biggrin:

We are kindred spirits I tell you!

Y

yornoc

STAY AWAY FROM U-HAUL IF YOU ARE GOING OUT OF TOWN

In my experiences, Penske has been the best.

Be sure to check into the amount of time they give you for the move. If they give you 3 days and it takes you more, you'll be paying more. The rule I use for the length of time I MIGHT need the truck is:

travel time + one day at old location + 2 days at new location.

I did 2 days at new location because I don't start off loading as soon as I'm there. I usually have things to check out/do first.

Good luck!

B

Bruzilla

When I did my last self move I checked prices between Ryder and UHaul, and UHaul's rates were lower. During a lunch break I went to UHaul and gave a deposit. I wasn't back at my desk for five minutes when I got a call from out of the blue from a Ryder truck guy. He knew I had just placed a deposit on the UHaul truck, and he made me a deal that beat UHaul's by $150. That's a very cut-throat business.

ltowngrrl

UHAUL is lousy

DON'T DO IT. UHAUL really sucks. Penske's the way to go, or really--anyone else.

I've moved 28 times in my life (about 15 times while on my own), and UHAUL has screwed me somehow every time I've used them. Once, the truck broke down in the middle of nowhere, another time, they overbilled me and took six months to correct it. Another time (hey, they had the cheapest rates, so I tried them again!), I made a reservation, and when moving day came...no truck. It's next to impossible to get them to answer the phone, too.

I'm surprised that UHAUL was more expensive than the others. Usually, they are cheaper, and I think that's how they get the market cornered. People wanna save money, so they go with UHAUL. MISTAKE!!!!!

The other suggestions were great, though...also check the Better Business Bureau's website, or epinions.com.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Re: UHAUL is lousy

Originally posted by ltowngrrl
I've moved 28 times in my life (about 15 times while on my own), and UHAUL has screwed me somehow every time I've used them.

You should consider changing your Alias to "alloverthedamnedplacebutnoplaceinparticulargrrl" :biggrin:

Is that too long?

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I've also moved several times, and U-HAUL is horrid. The trucks are not reliable, and are just junky pieces of crap. On WAY more than one occasion I've gotten there to pick up my rental and they've had to jump start it.