Moving to So. Md.--Advice??

mmooniac

Hi, all. A relative may be moving to Southern Maryland; he has several choices, and I'm campaigning for this one- pretty area, small towns, and closer to us than most. What towns/neighborhoods would a young academic and his wife find congenial- within a half hour or so of SMCM? I'm not finding much online in the way of relatively affordable (think 'entry-level salary'--probably under $200K) housing to entice them with. Any suggestions?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
That's gonna' be a tough one. Housing isn't really entry level friendly around here. My only suggestion would be to contact a real estate office and see if they have anything in the range you're looking for.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
CityGrl said:
Run, Run, Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, stop. You know it's quaint and wonderful down here. :neener:

Gawd, I can't wait for retirment so I can go home.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
mooniac, it's really not bad here. Just not my cup o' tea. We stayed because we thought it was a good place to let our kids finish school and grow up. Very low crime rate, not much in the way of excitement. The bars are "watering holes", and you'll be hard pressed to find one you actually want to go to. The nearest mall is about 40 minutes away. We have everything you need, just not everything you want. The weather isn't too bad, most of the time. It's pretty here, and there is more to do in the summer than the cold months.

What sort of activities does your relative like?

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
elaine said:
mooniac, it's really not bad here. Just not my cup o' tea. We stayed because we thought it was a good place to let our kids finish school and grow up. Very low crime rate, not much in the way of excitement. The bars are "watering holes", and you'll be hard pressed to find one you actually want to go to. The nearest mall is about 40 minutes away. We have everything you need, just not everything you want. The weather isn't too bad, most of the time. It's pretty here, and there is more to do in the summer than the cold months.

What sort of activities does your relative like?
:yeahthat: but you're gonna have a hard tme finding a decent house in a desireable area for under $200K in Saint Marys. :ohwell:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
crabcake said:
:yeahthat: but you're gonna have a hard tme finding a decent house in a desireable area for under $200K in Saint Marys. :ohwell:

A hard time, but I wouldn't think impossible.

mmooniac

Thanks so much for the thoughts, all of you. What are my relative's interests? He loves bookstores, opera, movies, sitting around with brilliant people talking about Life and other weighty topics, cats. He's passionate about his teaching. Will spend much time in the college coffee shop with students. This couple will be happy to be within a couple of hours of DC. (Also has nice job offer in DC, but talk about no place to live on his income... whew!)

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
mmooniac said:
Hi, all. A relative may be moving to Southern Maryland; he has several choices, and I'm campaigning for this one- pretty area, small towns, and closer to us than most. What towns/neighborhoods would a young academic and his wife find congenial- within a half hour or so of SMCM? I'm not finding much online in the way of relatively affordable (think 'entry-level salary'--probably under $200K) housing to entice them with. Any suggestions?

I've grown up here and I like it. Its a small town, everybody stays out of my business, and though some think otherwise, the crime is extremely low depending on where you live. However, if you hate driving anywhere, if you hate small towns, you'll definately hate it here.

BTW, good luck finding a house under 200K. Its not impossible, you'll find it if you really look. Try seaching here.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
mmooniac said:
Thanks so much for the thoughts, all of you. What are my relative's interests? He loves bookstores, opera, movies, sitting around with brilliant people talking about Life and other weighty topics, cats. He's passionate about his teaching. Will spend much time in the college coffee shop with students. This couple will be happy to be within a couple of hours of DC. (Also has nice job offer in DC, but talk about no place to live on his income... whew!)

Fenwick Street Bookstore is sweet. The owner peeks into the forums on occasion. It's a very nice used book store in Leonardtown. The only other book store is Bay Books, in Wildewood. It's small, but I've never had any trouble getting what I want. They have a few chairs, but no coffee shop. You'll have to travel to Waldorf for Borders. It's a good thing he likes movies. He'll have plenty of time to work on his movie library here. There are some brilliant minds in the area, don't be fooled by the abundance of :dork: 's

SmallTown

Football season!
mmooniac said:
Thanks so much for the thoughts, all of you. What are my relative's interests? He loves bookstores, opera, movies,
Books? There is a very nice store called Bay Books. Beats the pants off any B&N store. They'll order books for you if you can't find it in their vast selection.

opera? Rose's place has nice live entertainment, musicals and such. The latest show was beauty and the beast.

Movies? The Lexington Park theatre is the best thing you'll find in a 39 mile radius. Incredible sound, and very comfortable leather chairs which you almost feel like you stick to because the leather is so soft.

As for housing, one of the big places to be is a place called Suburban Estates, off of great mills road.

Sounds like the perfect place for you guys, enjoy!

CityGrl

Time for a nap
mmooniac said:

Tell him to take the job in DC and RENT until he can afford something.

My God, they will go nuts in SoMD with their interests. Believe me, there is no CULTURE down there.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
SmallTown said:
Books? There is a very nice store called Bay Books. Beats the pants off any B&N store. They'll order books for you if you can't find it in their vast selection.

opera? Rose's place has nice live entertainment, musicals and such. The latest show was beauty and the beast.

Movies? The Lexington Park theatre is the best thing you'll find in a 39 mile radius. Incredible sound, and very comfortable leather chairs which you almost feel like you stick to because the leather is so soft.

As for housing, one of the big places to be is a place called Suburban Estates, off of great mills road.

Sounds like the perfect place for you guys, enjoy!

:lmao: Don't go to Roses. Beauty would be a customer. The entertainment is beastly!

The theatre leaves a lot to be desired, but makes you wander off to place like Arundal Mills Mall, which has a Movieco.

Don't even look at property on Great Mills Rd. That's the hood.

And, don't let people like SmallTown scare you off. It's just not his cup o' tea, either.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
CityGrl said:

My God, they will go nuts in SoMD with their interests. Believe me, there is no CULTURE down there.

We have culture down here. It's just not smackin' anyone in the face. You have to look for it.

Christy

b*tch rocket
CityGrl said:

That's not true, you just have to know where to look. St. Mary's college puts on some decent shows during the summer, plus they're close enough to DC if they felt like going to see some Opera. :shrug:

And ST, quit being a dillhole! :lol:

Agee

mmooniac said:
He's passionate about his teaching. Will spend much time in the college coffee shop with students. This couple will be happy to be within a couple of hours of DC. (Also has nice job offer in DC, but talk about no place to live on his income... whew!)
You might want to contact St. Marys College, about housing possibilities.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Christy said:
That's not true, you just have to know where to look. St. Mary's college puts on some decent shows during the summer, plus they're close enough to DC if they felt like going to see some Opera. :shrug:

And ST, quit being a dillhole! :lol:

AnneMarie Gardens has a nice show...I think it's in the early summer.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
SmallTown said:
This can fall under the Rose's Place suggestion :ohwell:

:lmao:

SmallTown, :shutup: Just because you like the rat race doesn't mean everybody else should. At least we can say we only have one titty bar. How many do you have up in the big bad city?