Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Fat Cat

  1. #11
    Swinging on Vines pvineswinger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2003
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by starr
    That cat is huge! A lady at the vet had a 30+ pound mini dashund. Couldn't understand that she had done that by feeding the dog to much. All the dog could do was flop over on it's side.
    A MINI!!!!! Top weight for a mini- is 15lbs- and that's heavy!!!
    If you ever see her again please refer her to www.dodgerslist.com- or have her email me!! My dachshund is at his ideal weight- and always has been- but being overweight can SERIOUSLY increase back problems.
    Favorite Bumper Sticker: If you're gonna ride my a$$, at least pull my hair. :spank:

  2. #12
    Princess of Mean Hello6's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Formerly Great Mills
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by pvineswinger
    A MINI!!!!! Top weight for a mini- is 15lbs- and that's heavy!!!
    If you ever see her again please refer her to www.dodgerslist.com- or have her email me!! My dachshund is at his ideal weight- and always has been- but being overweight can SERIOUSLY increase back problems.
    My "mini" is 19lbs, he's just got big bones, I swear! He lost a good deal of weight thanks to his Daddy, who has taken him off of free range eating and he now only gets 1/2 a cup 2x a day. Now that he has a waist line, he strained his neck. Never had one back trouble while he was a little tubby.
    "Negative outlook? Well that's how I'm livin'.
    And like he said, it's a wicked world we live in."
    *Transplants


    Don't breed or buy while homeless animals die. Adopt a friend for life!

  3. #13
    Swinging on Vines pvineswinger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2003
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello6
    My "mini" is 19lbs, he's just got big bones, I swear! He lost a good deal of weight thanks to his Daddy, who has taken him off of free range eating and he now only gets 1/2 a cup 2x a day. Now that he has a waist line, he strained his neck. Never had one back trouble while he was a little tubby.
    A mini is anything under 11lbs-over 11 lbs is either a tweenie weinie or standard.
    Any dogs (including Bassetts & even some Beagles) with long backs and short legs should be kept at their ideal weight- they are more prone to neck strains and pinched nerves. They should also be restricted from jumping off of furniture.
    Sorry about the soapbox- but this subject is REALLY sensitive for me. Schnitzel has been paralyzed for over a year now and I feel like I could have prevented it by knowing how to "raise" a dachshund. He just jumped off of the couch one day- and from then on, he hasn't had use of his back legs, his bladder (he has to be expressed at least 3x a day) or control of his bowels-so he has to wear a diaper.
    Favorite Bumper Sticker: If you're gonna ride my a$$, at least pull my hair. :spank:

  4. #14
    Princess of Mean Hello6's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Formerly Great Mills
    Posts
    1,127
    I know I've been doing "everything wrong" as far as Otto's upbringing, but just as we started to get on the right track, that's when he has an episode. Just figures.
    "Negative outlook? Well that's how I'm livin'.
    And like he said, it's a wicked world we live in."
    *Transplants


    Don't breed or buy while homeless animals die. Adopt a friend for life!

  5. #15
    Tight Pants and Lipstick virgovictoria's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Isolation Chamber - Anywhere, USA
    Posts
    11,504
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello6
    I know I've been doing "everything wrong" as far as Otto's upbringing, but just as we started to get on the right track, that's when he has an episode. Just figures.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvineswinger
    Schnitzel has been paralyzed for over a year now and I feel like I could have prevented it by knowing how to "raise" a dachshund. He just jumped off of the couch one day- and from then on, he hasn't had use of his back legs, his bladder (he has to be expressed at least 3x a day) or control of his bowels-so he has to wear a diaper.
    My input, not based on breeds in specific, but on pets and pet ownership as a whole: The best you can do is try to do the best for them. If you find that something you're doing isn't the right thing, then do the next right thing. I admire both of you ladies.
    The grand essentials for happiness are having something to do, something to love and something to hope for.

  6. #16
    starr
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvineswinger
    A MINI!!!!! Top weight for a mini- is 15lbs- and that's heavy!!!
    If you ever see her again please refer her to www.dodgerslist.com- or have her email me!! My dachshund is at his ideal weight- and always has been- but being overweight can SERIOUSLY increase back problems.
    I haven't seen her in years. I would assume that poor dog is dead by now. The vets kept trying to explain that stuff to her but she ingnored them saying the dog was unhappy if she didn't feed it all the time. My sister has a dachshund mix I wonder if she should not let her jump off of things.

  7. #17
    ...... Vince's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Lusby, MD.
    Posts
    22,710
    Quote Originally Posted by starr
    My sister has a dachshund mix I wonder if she should not let her jump off of things.
    I have two little rat terrriers and with their little stick legs you really have to watch their weight. When they get older they could jump down from somewhere and break a leg. One of them used to be overweight a long time ago. Put her azz on diet dog food and she went from 13 lbs to 11 lbs. Diet dog food works, but you can't be giving them table scraps.
    Having too much ammunition in the house is like having too much fuel in your aircraft; the only time you have too much is when you're on fire.

    The Second Amendment "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

  8. #18
    starr
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince
    I have two little rat terrriers and with their little stick legs you really have to watch their weight. When they get older they could jump down from somewhere and break a leg. One of them used to be overweight a long time ago. Put her azz on diet dog food and she went from 13 lbs to 11 lbs. Diet dog food works, but you can't be giving them table scraps.
    Her dog is actually very muscular. She doesn't have a weight problem and I told her not to ever start with the table scrap thing. I had my dog on weight control food to keep her at a good weight. She is getting up there in age so I give her that and I alternate a bag of regular food.

  9. #19
    Swinging on Vines pvineswinger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2003
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by starr
    I haven't seen her in years. I would assume that poor dog is dead by now. The vets kept trying to explain that stuff to her but she ingnored them saying the dog was unhappy if she didn't feed it all the time. My sister has a dachshund mix I wonder if she should not let her jump off of things.
    IVDD (InterVertebrate Disc Disease) is genetic in dachshunds and can be present in dachshund mixes. Any dogs that have unproportionally short legs and long bodies SHOULD NOT be allowed to jump off of things. The short legs are not strong enough to act as "shock absorbers" like in long-legged dogs- so the "force" of the landing is absorbed in the back.
    Overweight long-bodied dogs- well you can see what's wrong with that...their backs are pretty much "bowed" in the middle.
    Favorite Bumper Sticker: If you're gonna ride my a$$, at least pull my hair. :spank:

  10. #20
    Swinging on Vines pvineswinger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2003
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello6
    I know I've been doing "everything wrong" as far as Otto's upbringing, but just as we started to get on the right track, that's when he has an episode. Just figures.
    Schnitzel had his first "episode" a year before he became paralyzed. And even then I didn't know that paralysis was a possibility- and knowing myself, even if I did know, I would have thought it was such a remote possibility that I didn't have to worry about it.
    My dogs are like my kids-and I wouldn't let my kid jump off of a jungle gym over and over- and that's a comparable height considering how tall dachshunds are.
    You aren't doing "everything wrong" if Otto's a happy guy.
    Favorite Bumper Sticker: If you're gonna ride my a$$, at least pull my hair. :spank:

Similar Threads

  1. By popular demand: The Feral Cat Thread
    By vraiblonde in forum Cats
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 04-07-2016, 12:52 PM
  2. Help me get a FAT CAT!
    By scuzzo84 in forum Cats
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 09:32 PM
  3. One Fat Azz Cat
    By huntr1 in forum News and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 07:46 AM
  4. Fat cat wheezes into animal shelter
    By Kizzy in forum News and Current Events
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 02:53 PM
  5. Fat Cat
    By Sharon in forum Cats
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-29-2002, 03:24 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |