Fat Cat

BTE

Extra Ordinary
That's terrible how fat they let that cat get! He must be terribly unhealthy! Poor little kitty....err...I mean...poor big fat kitty. :frown:

S

starr

That cat is huge! A lady at the vet had a 30+ pound mini dashund. Couldn't understand that she had done that by feeding the dog to much. All the dog could do was flop over on it's side.

You should see the kitten we rescued this summer. He is about 8-10 months old, and I'd say he is about 150% the size of our other cat. Definately NOT hurting for winter insulation. Mackenzie, our original cat, was queen of the house, she ruled over the dog and everyone. Not anymore. She TRIED and TRIED to remain dominant over Remington (the kitten), but he has overthrown her in a coup d' tat. He has even become dominant over the dog. Noticed on Saturday night that the dog got up to go outside and when he came back in (after MAYBE 30 seconds outside, just enough time to pee), Remington had already curled up in Hunter's bed and he wouldn't get back in it and lay down because of the cat. Wife picked up Remington and Hunter DOVE into his bed and layed down.

This thread reminds me, gotta change the litter box when I get home. :dead:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
crabcake said:
But obesity is a disease. :cheesy: It's not the owner's fault.

OMG - A gal that I used to work with in college had a cat like that - had to literally DRAG himself... Said that the poor fellow had a thyroid problem that was just uncontrollable... :shrug:

AC/DC

Lord, I apologize.
virgovictoria said:
OMG - A gal that I used to work with in college had a cat like that - had to literally DRAG himself... Said that the poor fellow had a thyroid problem that was just uncontrollable... :shrug:

Oddly enough, a round to the back of it's head would have fixed it right up. :yay:

candyjax84

Temperamental Artist
virgovictoria said:

I had a pet mouse (yes mouse) with a glucose or thyroid problem... maybe both... She was basically a 'lil butterball! :lmao:

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
starr said:
That cat is huge! A lady at the vet had a 30+ pound mini dashund. Couldn't understand that she had done that by feeding the dog to much. All the dog could do was flop over on it's side.
A MINI!!!!! Top weight for a mini- is 15lbs- and that's heavy!!!
If you ever see her again please refer her to www.dodgerslist.com- or have her email me!! My dachshund is at his ideal weight- and always has been- but being overweight can SERIOUSLY increase back problems.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
pvineswinger said:
If you ever see her again please refer her to www.dodgerslist.com- or have her email me!! My dachshund is at his ideal weight- and always has been- but being overweight can SERIOUSLY increase back problems.

My "mini" is 19lbs, he's just got big bones, I swear! He lost a good deal of weight thanks to his Daddy, who has taken him off of free range eating and he now only gets 1/2 a cup 2x a day. Now that he has a waist line, he strained his neck. Never had one back trouble while he was a little tubby.
:bawl:

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
Hello6 said:
My "mini" is 19lbs, he's just got big bones, I swear! He lost a good deal of weight thanks to his Daddy, who has taken him off of free range eating and he now only gets 1/2 a cup 2x a day. Now that he has a waist line, he strained his neck. Never had one back trouble while he was a little tubby.
:bawl:
A mini is anything under 11lbs-over 11 lbs is either a tweenie weinie or standard.
Any dogs (including Bassetts & even some Beagles) with long backs and short legs should be kept at their ideal weight- they are more prone to neck strains and pinched nerves. They should also be restricted from jumping off of furniture.
Sorry about the soapbox- but this subject is REALLY sensitive for me. Schnitzel has been paralyzed for over a year now and I feel like I could have prevented it by knowing how to "raise" a dachshund. He just jumped off of the couch one day- and from then on, he hasn't had use of his back legs, his bladder (he has to be expressed at least 3x a day) or control of his bowels-so he has to wear a diaper.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
I know I've been doing "everything wrong" as far as Otto's upbringing, but just as we started to get on the right track, that's when he has an episode. Just figures.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Hello6 said:
I know I've been doing "everything wrong" as far as Otto's upbringing, but just as we started to get on the right track, that's when he has an episode. Just figures.
pvineswinger said:
Schnitzel has been paralyzed for over a year now and I feel like I could have prevented it by knowing how to "raise" a dachshund. He just jumped off of the couch one day- and from then on, he hasn't had use of his back legs, his bladder (he has to be expressed at least 3x a day) or control of his bowels-so he has to wear a diaper.

My input, not based on breeds in specific, but on pets and pet ownership as a whole: The best you can do is try to do the best for them. If you find that something you're doing isn't the right thing, then do the next right thing. I admire both of you ladies.

S

starr

pvineswinger said:

I haven't seen her in years. I would assume that poor dog is dead by now. The vets kept trying to explain that stuff to her but she ingnored them saying the dog was unhappy if she didn't feed it all the time. My sister has a dachshund mix I wonder if she should not let her jump off of things.

Vince

starr said:
My sister has a dachshund mix I wonder if she should not let her jump off of things.
I have two little rat terrriers and with their little stick legs you really have to watch their weight. When they get older they could jump down from somewhere and break a leg. One of them used to be overweight a long time ago. Put her azz on diet dog food and she went from 13 lbs to 11 lbs. Diet dog food works, but you can't be giving them table scraps.

S

starr

Vince said:
I have two little rat terrriers and with their little stick legs you really have to watch their weight. When they get older they could jump down from somewhere and break a leg. One of them used to be overweight a long time ago. Put her azz on diet dog food and she went from 13 lbs to 11 lbs. Diet dog food works, but you can't be giving them table scraps.

Her dog is actually very muscular. She doesn't have a weight problem and I told her not to ever start with the table scrap thing. I had my dog on weight control food to keep her at a good weight. She is getting up there in age so I give her that and I alternate a bag of regular food.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
starr said:
I haven't seen her in years. I would assume that poor dog is dead by now. The vets kept trying to explain that stuff to her but she ingnored them saying the dog was unhappy if she didn't feed it all the time. My sister has a dachshund mix I wonder if she should not let her jump off of things.
IVDD (InterVertebrate Disc Disease) is genetic in dachshunds and can be present in dachshund mixes. Any dogs that have unproportionally short legs and long bodies SHOULD NOT be allowed to jump off of things. The short legs are not strong enough to act as "shock absorbers" like in long-legged dogs- so the "force" of the landing is absorbed in the back.
Overweight long-bodied dogs- well you can see what's wrong with that...their backs are pretty much "bowed" in the middle.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
Hello6 said:
Schnitzel had his first "episode" a year before he became paralyzed. And even then I didn't know that paralysis was a possibility- and knowing myself, even if I did know, I would have thought it was such a remote possibility that I didn't have to worry about it.
My dogs are like my kids-and I wouldn't let my kid jump off of a jungle gym over and over- and that's a comparable height considering how tall dachshunds are.
You aren't doing "everything wrong" if Otto's a happy guy. :yay: