Book Stores in St. Mary's County

K

Kizzy

I have a few a.m. appointments in Leonardtown this morning and I want to run some errands afterwards and gather some office supplies. I plan on going to Staples, and I know where that located, but I am wondering, since I do not shop much in Lexington Park, where a bookstore is located. They have to have a good supply of books, because what I am looking for is two popular books in Clinical Intervention. I know they would have them at the Boarder's in Waldorf, but I am trying to avoid traveling that way if I don't need to, and I wondered if there is a Boarder's in LP. If not, where should I go?

mkl

No Borders or anything close to it unfortunately in LP. There is no large bookstore at all. Bay Books in the Wildwood shopping center is the only book store to speak of near Lexington Park. It is just north of the Staples shopping center on 235, Probably about a mile past staples. If you are going to be in Leonardtown you can check the used book store there, Fenwick Street Used Books. I have no idea if they would have the type of book you are looking for. You'll most likely end up needing to go to Waldorf.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Bay Books in Wildewood have always been able to fill my needs - including such things as Clinical Intervention. Their staff, especially Tom, will be able to meet your requirements.

You can also order your books online. My wife has MS and so can't get out to shop, but she's been able to get what she wants from right here at home.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
A few of the new release books are carried by Wal-Mart and Target......I know they are not a "bookstore" but if they have the book you are looking for it will be cheaper...

mAlice

professional daydreamer
SmallTown said:
If you have to order a book, better to go online and do it. Much easier, and cheaper.

Not always cheaper. Every time I've asked BB to order something for me, it has cost the same as Amazon, and I didn't have to pay the shipping charges. It may be easier, but that's one more time I'm putting personal info on the internet, increasing my risk of identity theft. Ordering on line also takes away that personal, friendly, home town contact warm and fuzzy. Not to mention if everybody ordered on line, BB books would end up closing and we'd have one less book store to go and browse.

K

Kain99

SmallTown said:
Why even bother? If you have to order a book, better to go online and do it. Much easier, and cheaper. If you're looking for the Grisham new release, sure, go to bay books. Anything else, go to www.amazon.com, www.bamm.com, www.bn.com
We bother because Bay Books is one of the last home town privately owned businesses here! We are being swallowed up by franchises! I say support they guy. Won't be long until he is swallowed too. :dead:

SmallTown

Football season!
elaine said:
Not to mention if everybody ordered on line, BB books would end up closing and we'd have one less book store to go and browse.
Like that would be any different than going to Bay Books now. :rolleyes:

And as for Kain's response, it sure is nice to be the only bookstore in town. With no competition, you can offer a sh!tty product and people will still show up. Nothing against the private stores, but that one is just pathetic. Even in the small town of roanoke, we had private bookstores that were actually bigger than a closet :ohwell:
And wow, even when books a million and BN opened, they stayed in business as well.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
SmallTown said:

And as for Kain's response, it sure is nice to be the only bookstore in town. With no competition, you can offer a sh!tty product and people will still show up. Nothing against the private stores, but that one is just pathetic. Even in the small town of roanoke, we had private bookstores that were actually bigger than a closet :ohwell:
And wow, even when books a million and BN opened, they stayed in business as well.

YOU DON'T EVEN LIVE HERE! I lived in NOVA as well as here and I find it lovely and helpful.

Support your local businesses!

Bay Books! :yay:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
SmallTown said:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, ST. However, you sound like a snob. There is nothing wrong with BB. How do you get "sh!tty product"?.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I just want to add that twice I've gone to Borders looking for something. I thought since I was in the neighborhood, I'd just run in and grab it off the shelf. Both times I've done this, they didn't have it on the shelf and offered to order it for me. Great, I can drive another 40 minutes to pick up a book that I can order from Bay and drive 5 minutes to pick up. So, your theory about everything being on the shelf at Borders is bunk.

K

Kain99

Wow ST! It is a small store but the people are super friendly and always go out of their way! I wouldn't trade home town small for anything. I miss the old St. Marys County.

SmallTown

Football season!
virgovictoria said:
YOU DON'T EVEN LIVE HERE! I lived in NOVA as well as here and I find it lovely and helpful.

Support your local businesses!

Bay Books! :yay:
What does that have to do with anything? In my 4 years there, a took enough trips to Waldorf to go to Borders books to realize that Bay books sucks. We would always laugh first, then stop into bay books on the way to Borders just for sh!ts and giggles to see if they had what we wanted. Everytime it ended with us driving to Waldorf. No reason to support the local business if they suck. Instead of humping the owner's leg because he is the only private book store in the area, how about demanding a little more from them? The place could be twice the size it is now, thus making it more convenient and they still wouldn't lose the "hometown" feel.

SmallTown

Football season!
elaine said:
I just want to add that twice I've gone to Borders looking for something. I thought since I was in the neighborhood, I'd just run in and grab it off the shelf. Both times I've done this, they didn't have it on the shelf and offered to order it for me. Great, I can drive another 40 minutes to pick up a book that I can order from Bay and drive 5 minutes to pick. So, your theory about everything being on the shelf at Borders is bunk.
then I order from books a million and it is delivered to my door. I haven't had a problem yet not finding a book I need. And plus for me, I buy a lot of technical books. With those, you really have to sit down with them and thumb through them all to see if they have what you need. Of course, this is quick at bay books because they may have 2 books on the topic :ohwell:

I only mentioned ordering online for people down there because it is your next best option than bay books (the other is driving to waldorf). A BN store is around the corner here, and I love going in there.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
elaine said:
Not to mention if everybody ordered on line, BB books would end up closing and we'd have one less book store to go and browse.

I order online alot, but I'd rather GO to Barnes and Nobles or Borders or any bookstore just for the feeling of being surrounded by books. :geek:
When you order online, you don't have the opportunity to find that unexpected book you didn't know you were missing out on.
I avoid the book sections at Target and Walmart, the selections are just insulting.

SmallTown

Football season!
Kain99 said:
Wow ST! It is a small store but the people are super friendly and always go out of their way!
I'm sure the attendant at the laundrymat is friendly too, doesn't mean i'm going to go hang out there all the time :ohwell: