No Smoking @ any parks in Charles County after 3/1/2005

K

Kizzy

County Parks to Become Tobacco-Free Zones March 1

The Charles County Commissioners announce that a new smoke-free policy
will go into effect at County parks beginning Tuesday, March 1, 2005.

Persons will be prohibited from using any form of tobacco, which
includes cigarettes, cigars, snuff, pipes, and chewing tobacco:

* in a restroom, spectator or concession area, dog park or playground
in any County park,
* on County park property, or
* within 100 yards of any organized activity, which includes but is
not
limited to athletic events, concerts, and special events, at a County
park

Signs will be posted about the new smoke-free zones, which will be
enforced by Charles County Department of Public Facilities staff, who
will be authorized to request that violators cease or be asked to
leave
the park.

"Charles County has a responsibility to provide a safe, healthy park
environment for our citizens," said the County Commissioners. "Not
only is smoking a dangerous health risk, it sends the wrong message to
our youth, especially if they view their coaches, who are influential
in
their lives, smoking in their presence."

"Further, cigarette smokers have seriously littered the high-use
areas of our parks with discarded cigarette butts that are unsightly,
expensive to remove, and a health risk to toddlers who often pick them
up and put them in their mouths," added the County Commissioners.

Charles County will now join a number of its counterparts throughout
the State who have adopted tobacco-free programs as part of the
Maryland
Department of Health and Mental Hygiene's "Maryland Tobacco-Free
Sports Initiative."

For additional information on the new policy, please call the
Department of Public Facilities Parks and Grounds Division at
301-932-3470.

Steve

Enjoying life!
Kizzy said:
"Further, cigarette smokers have seriously littered the high-use
areas of our parks with discarded cigarette butts that are unsightly,
expensive to remove, and a health risk to toddlers who often pick them
up and put them in their mouths
," added the County Commissioners.
I wonder if they did a study on this? :shrug: Anyway, maybe they should be taking a hard look at these parents who aren't watching their kids. Aren't discarded food wrappers, cups, dirt, and rocks equally dangerous to the little tykes? Maybe they should ban these, too. And what about all the bees swarming the trash cans every summer? They have to be really dangerous, I would think.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Right! As if they have the resources, or the motivation to enforce this. They can't even stop illegal activities in the parks, let alone legal activities.

Smokin'

I for one am a non-smoker and applaude the banning of smoking in many public areas such as resturants,malls, grocery stores etc.,but even I think this one is BULL!!. What ever the reason that they ban will take place, I find that their reason to protect the health of young people is so far out in left field as to not even be seen. This present board of commissioners could care less about the health and welfare of Charles County residents. You can just attend one of their meeting and that will be proven to you.Too many special interests group take precedence over health and welfare issues. Challenge them to come out with the real reason and forget the smoke screen. Bottom line somewhere there will be money involved.

I might have to find a new location for my class reunion this summer. Had been planning to have it at Gilbert Run.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
huntr1 said:
I might have to find a new location for my class reunion this summer. Had been planning to have it at Gilbert Run.

I'll have to go up there one weekend with a carton of Newports. I can see out-lawing smoking in public buildings (read: gov't owned, not businesses) for health reasons, but banning smoking outdoors is completely absurd.

Note: I personally consider business property, private property. I don't think the gov't should tell anyone what they can and can't allow on their own property- outside of violent crime, vandalism and theft.

Last edited:

Spoiled

Whelp, I for one, at soccer games (in st marys) loved being subbed out to take a breather and had someone next to me smoking, does wonders :)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Spoiled said:
Whelp, I for one, at soccer games (in st marys) loved being subbed out to take a breather and had someone next to me smoking, does wonders :)
What a wimp. I used to smoke while I played soccer until Sonny made me cut it out.

Christy

b*tch rocket
vraiblonde said:
What a wimp. I used to smoke while I played soccer until Sonny made me cut it out.
:lol:

I don't know how in the world they will enforce a smoking ban. You're not supposed to smoke at pigskin football games, it's in the "rules", but everyone does and I've yet to see anyone with the nads to tell someone to not smoke outside. :shrug:

PrepH4U

vraiblonde said:
:lmao: Yep I am thinking about all the adult baseball and softball games and how they will welcome the new rule!

Agee

vraiblonde said:
Vrai intercepts a pass, she drives down field, she weaves, she bobbs, takes a header, but wait... she takes a drag... flicks the butt, Oh my she scores! The crowd goes crazy.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
vraiblonde said:
I used to do the same thing when I played rugby. At halftime we would drink a beer or two then light up. (to keep our lungs from collapsing)

I quit smoking a couple of years ago and now abhor the practice, but I would NEVER tell someone that they couldn't burn one outside. Nor do I get on my high horse and tell others to quit, but I will tell you how I did it. :blahblah: :blahblah:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I quit smoking a couple of years ago, and the only place where smoke bothers me is at the entrance to the grocery store. This Chuck county plan sounds like a bunch of garbage formulated by some Montgomery county wannabees (MC is NOT a good role model!!). And extending the ban to include snuff is ludicrous. I can't recall anybody trying to smoke snuff. :lmao:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Railroad said:
And extending the ban to include snuff is ludicrous. I can't recall anybody trying to smoke snuff. :lmao:
They gave backup saying butts were on the ground blah blah blah, but nothing about Chewing. Not hurting anyone else with that, I don't smoke But Outdoors is outdoors. How bout the county provide those little sand buckets or somethin for ya'll. FOr supposedly being the land of the free we sure are being limited an awfull lot lately.