Leonardtown Elementary School

devilvice

Angel
Has anyone had experience with the Leonardtown Elementary Kindergarden program? My daughter will be starting this year and I can't find helpful information on the website. Also does anyone know of before and after school care in the Leonardtown District?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Quite honestly, how "different" can kindergarten be from school-to-school? :confused: They arrive, they play, they eat, they go home. :shrug:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
devilvice said:
Has anyone had experience with the Leonardtown Elementary Kindergarden program? My daughter will be starting this year and I can't find helpful information on the website. Also does anyone know of before and after school care in the Leonardtown District?
Does your child attend Head Start now?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Before and After Care is done through Rec & Parks.
http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/recreate/childcare/index.asp

Leonardtown doesn't have it for Kindergarten, just 1-6.

My son and daughter both went to K at Leonardtown and it was a nice school - but this was 11 or 12 years ago. It might be cheaper, frankly, for you to take a look at area Montessori schools or parochial schools. For the cost of Before and After, you can get a private school education for your daughter.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
My son and daughter both went to K at Leonardtown and it was a nice school .
But look what happens later.
vraiblonde said:
Shoot, a couple of kids on my daughter's floor got busted drinking in their rooms and the RA not only called the cops but they were immediately expelled. This was the night of my daughter's birthday and the only reason she wasn't in the room with them is because she'd gone back to HER room for...you guessed it...more booze.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
vraiblonde said:
Half day.
Actually, that depends on which elementary school. I believe Banneker went to full day kindergarten this year. The elem. schools are being phased into full day kindergarten in the county, last I heard. Check with the specific elem. school your child/ren will go to.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
crabcake said:
Actually, that depends on which elementary school. I believe Banneker went to full day kindergarten this year. The elem. schools are being phased into full day kindergarten in the county, last I heard. Check with the specific elem. school your child/ren will go to.
:yeahthat:
You have heard correctly. About half of the K programs are 1/2 day the rest should be full day by the 06-07 year. I'll have to ask the wife, she teaches K in St. Mary's.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Chasey_Lane said:
Quite honestly, how "different" can kindergarten be from school-to-school? :confused: They arrive, they play, they eat, they go home. :shrug:
I think they do a little learning along the way also, it's not daycare you know.

Last edited:

lisaw

Leonardtown Elementary is a good school. It will moving from half day K to full day K this coming school year. For those who think you just play in K, you haven't been in a school for a while. Kindergarten today is much like first grade used to be. Most kids come out reading well by the end of K. It's much more academic than before. All elementary grades, including K, only have 15 minute recesses now (county mandate) to get more instructional time in. Your child will have more success in K, if you read a lot of books together now, and practice abc's and number recognition.

Geek

Then the kids can score well on Bush's tests. That is the most important part of education right now.

Last edited: