Report: N. Korea Demands Talks With U.S.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
:burning: :tantrum

Report: N. Korea Demands Talks With U.S. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
1 minute ago<o:p></o:p>

World - AP Asia<o:p></o:p>

Full story: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050211/ap_on_re_as/nkorea_nuclear<o:p></o:p>

By SANG-HUN CHOE, Associated Press Writer <o:p></o:p>

SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea (news - web sites) has demanded bilateral talks with the United States to defuse tension created by its announcement that it is a nuclear power, the communist state's U.N. envoy said in a South Korean newspaper interview published Friday. <o:p></o:p>

Han Sung Ryol, a senior diplomat at North Korea's U.N. delegation in New York, was the first North Korean official to speak to outside news media since Pyongyang's Foreign Ministry defied the United States and its allies by declaring Thursday that it has nuclear weapons, its first public announcement that it has weapons. <o:p></o:p>

North Korea said the weapons are a deterrent against a U.S. invasion and that it doesn't intend to join six-nation disarmament talks any time soon. "We will return to the six-nation talks when we see a reason to do so and the conditions are ripe," Han told Seoul's Hankyoreh newspaper in a Thursday interview in New York. "If the United States moves to have direct dialogue with us, we can take that as a signal that the United States is changing its hostile policy toward us." <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

Last edited by a moderator:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"If the United States moves to have direct dialogue with us, we can take that as a signal that the United States is changing its hostile policy toward us."
:lmao:

I swear to God this guy is John Kerry in disguise.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
There was a dude on Scarborough last night...

...that is Vrai's twin.

He basically said that we need not invade but simply need to quit being squeemish about collateral damage and get ready to launch massive bombing raids on North Korea. He said that that would do the trick as far as worrrying about their nuclear capability.

He and Joe agreed that, if we don't blow their #### up soon, they'll be able to hit our West coast within five years or so with nuclear ICBM's. Yikes.

And they agreed that once North Korea could do it, they would. They agreed that what the world needs now is Kim Il whatever the hell to lose his job.

Permanent like.

B

Bruzilla

Follow the timeline -

First N. Korea announces that they have nuclear weapons, and will not waste their time talking to the US or anyone else.

The media goes bonkers over concerns that N. Korea has nuclear weapons. I heard estimates ranging from two to well over eight.

Thursday evening, while the media panics, our Administration blows the N. Koreans off. Worse, Condi Rice and Don Rumsfeld both appear on news shows saying they're not sure the N. Koreans even have nuclear weapons.

Now the N. Koreans are all hot to have negotiations.

Note to N. Korea - THE BANK IS CLOSED! YOU AREN'T GETTING ANYMORE MONEY OR GOODIES FROM THE US!

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Larry Gude said:
...that is Vrai's twin.

He basically said that we need not invade but simply need to quit being squeemish about collateral damage and get ready to launch massive bombing raids on North Korea. He said that that would do the trick as far as worrrying about their nuclear capability.

He and Joe agreed that, if we don't blow their #### up soon, they'll be able to hit our West coast within five years or so with nuclear ICBM's. Yikes.

And they agreed that once North Korea could do it, they would. They agreed that what the world needs now is Kim Il whatever the hell to lose his job.

Permanent like.
We were talking about this at lunch yesterday. And we couldn't come up with a reason that the NK's would strike the US. They know that we could retaliate 10-fold. It seems to me that the only reason they would try to threaten the US with nuclear capability is for economic negotiation power.

Striking China, Japan, or South Korea seems more likely.
It seems to me that these countries ought to be the ones taking the lead on North Korea. Why aren't the Chinese threatening to invade? :confused:

I haven't watched the news in a couple days... is Bush holding his ground on the multilateral position?

B

Bruzilla

The NKs do not want to attack us, they want money plain and simple. They had eight years of Clinton giving them anything they wanted by mentioning nukes, and now Bush is telling them to go pack sand. So now they think escalating the threats will get his attention, but people are waking up to the fact that in all likelyhood there are no nuclear weapons in North Korea, and their credibility is going right down their antiquated sewer systems... called streets in the US. :)

sleuth said:
Why aren't the Chinese threatening to invade?

My guess is the N. Koreans would love to get invaded by China... at least then they might be able to eat. But what does China need with several hundred thousand square miles of starving people, polluted cities, and limited natural resources?

I think the big questions is if NK does have nuclear weapons, does Jimmy Carter have to give back his Nobel prize he got for convincing them to not make them? :whip:

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm with you there sleuth...

And we couldn't come up with a reason that the NK's would strike the US.

He may be crazy but he ain't stupid.

And I think Bruz is correct as well...

The NKs do not want to attack us, they want money plain and simple. They had eight years of Clinton giving them anything they wanted by mentioning nukes, and now Bush is telling them to go pack sand.

For anyone who didn't catch this: When Clinton was Prez, he lead a promise to help them build a light water reactor which supposedly isn't so good for nuke weapons. And we gave them oil until the thing comes on line. They are suppossed to allow inspections to make sure they aren't being naughty.

Anyone care to guess when they started pouring concrete for the power plant?

In 2002. After W called them an axi of evil.

North Korea is a sad, sad place.

Don Rumsfeld has a satelite photo of the penninsula on his office coffee table taken at night. It clearly, starkly shows the DMZ. Everything South is lit up like shots you've seen of the US. The North is totally black except for the capitol.

B

Bruzilla

Larry Gude said:
North Korea is a sad, sad place.

Larry, you're right. It is a sad, sad, place, and what does every sad, sad, place need to liven it up? Their own resident party animal! I say we name Ted Kennedy as Boozer in Chief and send him off to be the party envoy to North Korea! After a few weeks they'll be so boozed up they'll blow themselves up, which'll solve two problems for us. :yay: