Regime Change in North Korea Only Option

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
So sayeth Time Magazine:

any policy based on keeping Kim in place is bound to fail. When Kim took over from his father over 10 years ago, he had a chance to make a fresh start, and sometimes played with the idea. But in the end, there was no commitment to change. Instead some 2 million people died of hunger and disease. Refugees tell us that Kim was personally responsible both for mismanaging the economy, and hence for creating the conditions for famine, and then for refusing to take obvious measures to end it. In my view, he should be held accountable for a form of genocide.

What should be done now?

linkage: http://www.time.com/time/asia/covers/501050221/nk_vpt.html

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Very interesting, coming from a major liberal publication. I suppose if our current administration agrees with the regime change approach, then Time will flip-flop and say we're trying to force ourselves illegally on a nation of poor innocent women and children. Then the liberals will crank ole Teddy up and have him talk about how our hard-earned taxpayer's dollars are being wasted on an illegal intervention in the affairs of a sovereign nation. MPR and Scientific American will do special programs on how cruel, ill-conceived, and false our approach is to the Korean problem. They will say our motivation is rice and balsa wood (or whatever they export from there).

B

Bruzilla

I think there's a good precedent for this situation, and that would be East and West Germany. They were in much the same boat as the ROK and PROK. East Germany collapsed when it's communistic economy lost financial support from the USSR. The East Germans knew how well the folks in the West had things, and that envy eroded the regime from within. All they needed was for the "feeding tube" to be cut off.

If China would stop propping up the PROK it would fail in the same way.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Bruzilla said:
I think there's a good precedent for this situation, and that would be East and West Germany. They were in much the same boat as the ROK and PROK. East Germany collapsed when it's communistic economy lost financial support from the USSR. The East Germans knew how well the folks in the West had things, and that envy eroded the regime from within. All they needed was for the "feeding tube" to be cut off.

If China would stop propping up the PROK it would fail in the same way.
Good thoughts all! One can only hope.