Best Fish

watercolor

yeah yeah
We are looking to get 3 fish. we want some pets and we are kinda with out a dog or cat. So since we cant have our rats either (until we move).

We saw 3 at wal-mart that we really really liked. But, we also, dont know that much about if these 3 types can live together with out hurting each other, such as the fighting fish do.

Not looking for a goldfish, although, some of those can be put in there toosince they are soo darn cute. But I just wanna know. I mean we are not going to have a big aquarium, just something little, but enough room for them to have some play stuff and places to hide. YA know??

Any recommendations?? Also is Wal-Mart reputable?

K

Kain99

Buy Cichlids! They are the most colorful fresh water fish you can buy! They will need to live alone with the exception of maybe an Oscar.

K

Kain99

Whatever you do, Don't be a ditz like me and purchase 300 Fish for your wedding reception centerpieces two weeks before the date and expect them to survive in a 25 gallon tank!

That's my fish story:rolleyes:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I have a cichlid and a plecostomis (sp?). I'm with Kain I don't care how mean they are they're the prettiest fish ever. You can get two or three and they won't kill each other as long as you feed them well. Live fish preferably. They come in so many colors you could get 3 totally different ones.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
BTW, Water I'd say no to Walmart fish. I've never had really good luck with them. I get most of mine from Petsmart.

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
Some "easy" fish...

I haven't had any fish for awhile, but my ex and I always kept a 35-gallon tank going...some of the ones that seemed to do well with minimum effort (and who all got along with eating each other!) were:

- swordtails
- mollies
- tetras (lots of types to choose from; get at least 4-6, they seem to be happier in a group!)
- speckled catfish (to keep the bottom clean)

We had a couple of angelfish, but they're alot more sensitive to changes in ph levels than the other ones listed above.

I like to plecos too, but they can get HUGE and sometimes will eat other fish...

SxyPrincess

About a year ago, I bought several (6) different kinds of fish for my daughter. I spoke with a worker at Petsmart about these fish living together peacefully and he said "no problem."

I get them home, and 1 dies within 2 days, another a week later. :confused: I didn't notice any cannibalism so maybe I just (or the little girl, I should say) overfed them? Anyhow, I returned to get 2 more fish. Within a month - I was down to 2 fish.

Maybe it was the Waldorf Petsmart because when I returned several weeks later, I noticed many "floaters" in the tanks. Anyhow, I'm sticking to furry animals from now on.
:biggrin: Like my "pocket" dog. :wink:

K

Kain99

Fish are finicky creatures....:frown: The Pet store in Leonardtown is pretty good. The guys always know their stuff and offer good advice. I am sticking to my Cichlid advice. Go to a Large pet store and check them out! You'll be amazed! They are so much fun to watch and the closest thing to saltwater you will find. Over time they get to know you and follow you when you approach the tank... I even have one, "Merlin" who smiles!

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
I had Oscars for years. They ate 100 goldfish per week, plus pellet food, and grew to about 12 inches in diameter. I eventually lost them, but they were the greatest food chain show on earth when I had company.

grandpa

Years ago we had guppies and black mollies, they seemed to get along fine and were prolific. Need to keep lots of greens for the young to hide in tho. They are canibals when it comes to the young.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Oh wow. Alot of info. Maybe I should just go to petsmart and look into stuff. LOL! cause I dont even know what I want. We just saw them and liked them. *smile*

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
Watercolor, how big is your tank going to be? I didn't see it mentioned. That has TONS to do with which three fish you can pick. For instance, three guppies can do well in a five-gallon tank, but three cichlids cannot.

By the way, if you're interested, I think I have a power filter you can have, as well as some plastic plants, an air pump, and some air tubing. If you want, you can even have some of my fish. That way, you'll know they've been doing well for several months in a closed environment (not one where fish are coming and going all the time, and bringing whatever parasites they may have).

Heck, I could probably clean up one of my ten-gallon tanks for you! I have two empty (although dirty) 10g's that I'm not using.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Good Greif...your being way generous. I will talk to my fiance about it. We were gonna get like a 10 to 15 gal tank. I dont know much about fish, except for the feeding part. Otherwise, I dont know which habitat is good for what fish.

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
No problem! I like to help people out when they get into the hobby so that you will start out the right way (instead of relying on the advice of someone at the pet store, having all your fish die, and dumping out your tank in disgust).

I also have some books you can borrow beforehand, and I'm sure there are plenty in the local libraries! It's always good to do some research before you buy anything.

K

Kain99

Hey Sea... If Wc passes on the offer I'd happily snatch your power filter.:biggrin:

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
OK, I'll have to go home and take an inventory of everything I have...

Would you guys like to come over some time and you can check out my tanks, and see if there are any particular fish you'd like to try? That's the best way to start planning, because then you can determine tank size, tankmates, what kind of decor you should have (lots of plants or caves, light or dark substrate), etc...

Oh, yeah, I live in California.