Young American

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I hate to admit it but I was/am a big Alanis fan. When she came out with Jagged Little Pill, it fit the angry manhater period of life I was going through at the time. So I have a sentimental soft spot for her.

SamSpade

But she never wastes any time taking potshots at the U.S. either.

I'm not impressed or amenable to persons who come to this country, avail themselves of the freedoms and opportunities, help themselves to the benefits - and then bite the hand that feeds them.

They're like abusive, ungrateful children, who have no problem insulting you and heaping abuse while they quietly take your money, borrow the car and live under your roof for free.

B

Bruzilla

vraiblonde said:
...angry manhater period of life I was going through at the time.

Say it ain't so!!! :)

What I want to know is that the story says she's maintaining her Canadian citizenship. Isn't part of the oath or the naturalization process renouncing allegiance to all other nations?

B

Bruzilla

I thought so! I found this on a legal website:

The United States requires naturalized citizens to take an oath, which includes a statement renouncing “all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty.”

If that's the case, she should have to take her jagged little azz back to Canada.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It would be nice if, say...Alec Baldwin and...

"America has been really great to me and I have felt welcomed since the day I came here."

...Sean Penn and Mr. and Mrs. Sarandon felt that way, huh?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bruzilla said:
I thought so! I found this on a legal website:

The United States requires naturalized citizens to take an oath, which includes a statement renouncing “all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty.”

If that's the case, she should have to take her jagged little azz back to Canada.
Yeah, but lots of people hold dual citizenship. What about that? :confused:

B

Bruzilla

I don't think you can do it legally in the United States. Two of my kids were born while we were stationed in Bermuda, and have triple citizenship (US, Bermudian, and Great Britain). At the age of 18, if they opted to be Bermudian, they can keep all three. If they opt to be the Queen's subject, they can keep the Bermudian and give up the US. But if they opt to be a US citizen, they lose the other two.

Apparently there are a lot of other countries, I'm sure Canada is one, that allow dual citizenship, so she might be able to maintain US/Canadian dual citizenship as far as Canada is concerned, but coming the other way, she must renounce Canada as a part of the oath. And since she took the oath, renounced Canada, and now says in public that she didn't renounce Canada... it's time to take back that green card because she just broke some laws.