Need some Local News

H

Heretic

I've been thinking that we need a local TV channel here, public access doesn't really count in my opinion. Something associated with a network with their own news would be nice. The only good source of news in St Marys County seems to be this bulletin board. In the midwest there are places much smaller than this that have their own TV stations with local news.

I would very much like to see local special interest pieces too, one of the problems I have with this area is that its pretty hard to find out things about it other than by word of mouth.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
It's a good idea but they would have to get their information from us. The grapevine is pretty quick around here. :wink:

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
If I remember, Channel 10 tried a morning show for a while and I guess it didn't work. But that was more like a today show with more interviews than real news. And I mean, really, how much local news would there be every day to announce on a half-hour or hour-long show? I watch channel 10 and 12 a lot, but I don't know that I'd watch it instead of other local morning news shows.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
I don't see why the Tri-County area wouldn't support an over-the-air, local affiliate television station. Salisbury has at least 1 (maybe 2? Fox & CBS?) Ultimately, what it would take is someone with a background in that business, to make the investment in time and money. That would be a big committment from someone. That someone would probably have to be bigger than the holding company that formerly owned Channel 10 and WMDM, since they couldn't make a go of it with strong financial backing.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Maybe the College of Southern Maryland could get some funding to do a station under the MPT networking or something along those lines. It could be a great benefit to the local area.

H

Heretic

I think there is plenty that could be reported on like:

weather
local sports
fishing/boating reports
upcomming local events like fairs, festivals, etc

then there could be specials like how to winterize your home, remove barnacles from your boat, catch crabs, fish for ____, stuff a ham, prepare a turkey

There are also lots of local charity events like the thing where the people jump into the cold water at point lookout coming up this weekend

The possibilities are endless.

I find it really strange that someone (me) that isn't exactly too fond of the area is one of the few people that think there are things worth reporting about. How does everyone that loves this area to death feel? Actually I find that the whole DC/Maryland area is lacking in local news, when the Redskins are the biggest story in one of the nations most recognizable newspapers something is really wrong. I guess there just isn't much of a sense of community anywhere near DC now that I think about it.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by Ken King
Maybe the College of Southern Maryland could get some funding to do a station under the MPT networking or something along those lines. It could be a great benefit to the local area.

Oh brother.. More bad television.

I'd rather see someone in the business of television. Not more horrible taxpayer funded MPT stuff. Make it a CBS/NBC/ABC/Fox affiliate so you have programming when there isn't something local to air. Not bad Public Television stuff...

Taz

I agree with Tonio. There is a lot happening in this area and no local news to support it. A community with this many people only has a newspaper that comes out twice a week...get real! Either the Enterprise had better get up and move on to something bigger or some big conglomerate will come in and give us a daily paper and cover more than what's happening at the local sports' fields.
We need something on a daily basis that would cover the local, national and world scenes. It's hard enough here to find out what is happening locally, much less what is going on elsewhere. You shouldn't have to buy the Post to find out. There are more than enough businesses here to support a decent paper. I can find out more about the local goings-on at Gatton's Barber Shop than I can in the local rag.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by Taz
You shouldn't have to buy the Post to find out. There are more than enough businesses here to support a decent paper. I can find out more about the local goings-on at Gatton's Barber Shop than I can in the local rag.

Two things - first of all, at the current rates charged by the Enterprise, there are not enough advertisers. They would have to adopt a more affordable rate structure to support a daily. So, they would have to lower their income, and raise their overhead to support a daily paper. That would be a major change for the folks there, who seem pretty comfortable. Why add headaches?

As far as the barber shop, I guess you knew a year or two ago that the "massage/tanning" shop was more than meets the eye too, huh? Rossignol and the Enterprise would do well to just station a reporter there to write stories. We'd have more accurate and timely news reporting if they did! :biggrin: