Letterboxing in Southern Maryland

mkl

Geocaching

http://www.geocaching.com/
This seems to be much more popular. It is based around GPS coordinates. Although, I guess you could plot the coordinates out on a map instead of using a handheld GPS. There are tons of geocaches in SOMD, and all over the world.

911Carrera

German American Lead Foot
That's a pretty cool site. Interesting concept. It would be great way to get some exercise and see some beautiful sites that our country has to offer.

Maybe I'll try it.

watercolor

yeah yeah
That is a pretty cool idea! :smile: I would love to try this sometime. There is also one in hollywood, waldorf and point lookout according to ths site!!! this is awesome!!!

Last edited:
I've heard of it but haven't ever looked for one! I think you have to have your own "mark" for the books you find? I think when my kid(s) get older, we'll participate in it. I think its a fantastic way to get to your your area, etc. =)

So this is a blast from the past! ;)

13 years ago, I responded to this post on letterboxing. Today, I was doing a search on letterboxing in St. Mary's County and stumbled across this post! Totally made me smile!

My daughter is a sophomore and in Girl Scouts, and currently working on her Gold Award, the highest honor in Girl Scouting. Her project is focused on letterboxing here in St. Mary's County - there are TONS of geocaches, but very few letterboxes. So, she has set up over 10 boxes in 8 different historical locations here in SMC. She is trying to encourage kids/families to get outside and to visit these places that are so unique and interesting to our area! She is currently holding a workshop at a local elementary school, and hoping to run another in January at the Lex Pk library.

I am trying to attach her brochure, but in case it doesn't work, you can PM me for it, or, she has included the following information: For more information on my project, follow me on my blog:
smcletterboxing.wordpress.com Or my Instagram account: Golden_Arrow_Letterboxing

View attachment Letterboxing_Brochure.pdf

DQ2B

Yep, used to do it all the time when my kids were little. Anytime we went someplace new, I'd check to see if there were any letterboxes near where we would be. Probably would still do it today if I had more time.