Ehrlich's Helicopter

demsformd

The first unethical aspect of Bob Ehrlich's tenure as governor-elect: a campaign helicopter that was not paid for from his campaign fund. So much for ending the culture of corruption in the statehouse.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Sorry Dems... Borrowing a helicopter is a far cry from corruption. :roflmao:

And if he were to turn he's got quite a ways to go to ever compete with the couple hundred-thousand corrupt acts of the likes of Willie Don and Spendenning.

BTW... What is poor KKT gonna do this year when State Highway doesn't send a crew to clean out hers and her relatives driveways? :bawl:

demsformd

Willie Don, let me remind you, endorsed Bush in 1992 for president, Sauerbrey in 94 and 98, and his entire campaign staff helped Ehrlich's campaign. To me, he's more of a Republican so don't call him a member of the Democratic corruption. This helicopter incident is corruption. The owner of the helicopter is a Ehrlich supporter and it is a key episode of buying influence. More corruption, Michael Steele's campaign filings from his run in 1998 for comptroller are still unfinished and have drawn fines, soon-to-be cabinet appointee, Clarence Mitchell, was rebuked by the Senate Ethics Committee, and Marvin Mandel, a member of the Democratic corruption, is going to help the governor-elect on economic policy. How is corruption ever gonna end in the statehouse?

SmallTown

Football season!
Oh sheesh, give him some time to at least get into office and get his feet wet a little.. I'm sure then he will get involved in some sort of corruption, just like all politicians do. So be patient..

Like they talk about smoking pot is a "gateway drug", perhaps the helicopter is his gateway to corruption? Who knows. I voted for him. Lets hope he doesn't make a fool out of all of his, like glending has for years.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Actually I remember Willie quite well... I don't care "WHO" he said he supported. HE WAS DUMMYCRAT through and through. HIGHER TAXES, MORE WASTEFUL SPENDING, GUN CONTROL, GOVERNMENT BLOAT...Et-cet-eraaaaaah... Et-cet-eraaaaaah... Et-cet-eraaaaaah... Can't get anymore Demmie than that.

As far as Erhlich... Get over it. You lost. We had to live with thirty years of your filthy little criminals until we got one decent guy. LIVE with it!

If I was helping him and I give him a ride in my plane... It's nothing more than courtesy from a supporter. No different than if he were in my car.

Ever since November 5th you people have been in serious need of prozac. :roflmao:

You've had thirty years in Maryland... Almost 60 in Congress... You lost this time. Have some dignity man! :rolleyes:

Ahhhhhhh! Who am I kidding... Demmies don't know the meaning of grace! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
<----True blonde so I need to ask a question:

Why is it unethical to use a pal's plane to travel around in your Governor's campaign? I just want to know because if I had a friend who was running for office, I'd build them a free website and let them use whatever resources I had to get elected. What's so unethical about that? Would that mean I was "buying influence"?

Maybe I'm just stupid because I don't see this as unethical at all. Not like, say, some First Lady firing everyone at the White House travel office to make way for HER friends.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Do you notice Vrai that it's only a problem when it's a conservative office holder ... And not when it's say...

A President in need of a House, Car, Office, Travel expenses... Who came in to the White House sub-100k and left a multi-millionaire! :roflmao:

SmallTown

Football season!
These have certain guidelines out there to make sure corruption doesn't take place (haha).. Kinda like when you are a contractor and get involved in "personal services".. What may seem harmless to you could lead to other things.

If you want to help, show up at their campaign offices or donate a little money.. Otherwise people will question your motives because this America, you don't get anything for free. Always strings attached, which is what these types of rules try to avoid.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
My question is...

How is giving money not "Buying Influence" but a ride in a helicopter is?

It's either a donation to a campaign or not. Whether it's cash or material.

This is :roflmao:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by Kyle
My question is...

Back to the definition of IS!!!! :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But we all know how this stuff works, right? When you travel in certain circles, you'll have friends who can help you with all kinds of problems. I have buddies in all types of businesses who've helped me out when I needed it, as I've helped them. Is this wrong?

I didn't even begrudge Clinton that until I found out that some of his "friends" were drug lords and Chinese spies. But, except for the Billy Dale part of it, I didn't think it was such a scandal that Hillary would fire the travel office people and give the contract to a family member. It made perfect sense to me. It's like picking a Chief of Staff or Cabinet members.

So Dems or Maynard, please explain to me why it's a problem that Ehrlich would use his buddy's plane? I'm being serious because I really want to know.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Kyle
My question is...

Hey, I don't make the rules :smile:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde

So Dems or Maynard, please explain to me why it's a problem that Ehrlich would use his buddy's plane? I'm being serious because I really want to know.

like I said earlier, I don't make the rules.. But my interpretations of it these rules are more geared to protect the people, not the politicians. From what I understand, it is intended to make sure that politicians don't use their power over you.. Such as saying "Hey, why won't you give me a ride in the helo today?? You did last week! Do you not want me to vote for such and such.." So now you feel obligated, even though the politician is supposed to be working for you.

To me, I think the whole process is BS.. But I can see why it is there, if not there would be MAJOR abuses (even more than now!)

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I wouldn't want to swear to it... But I believe that only appies to actual "Office-holders" not candidates and campaigns.

How can a candidate "Vote" for or against anything?

SmallTown

Football season!
Much like our current war on terrorism, trying to be preventive, not reactive.. Stop it before it gets out of hand.. Using my example, the helo ride is given during the campaign, then asked for again after he is elected. It really is a no brainer.. For people who were sooo upset about clinton giving pardons to those dumb a$$ criminals, you would think they would be all for removing any kind of "potentially bad favortism" from politics.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Again I ask... Ted Turner or some numb-#### giving him 20 grand wouldn't be?

That's ludicrous!

It's a campaign contribution. Material instead of cash.

SmallTown

Football season!
Like I said, I don't make the rules..
Could it be that money and campaign office workers are deemed as "needed" where as free dinners, free plane rides, etc are not? I don't know.

But the problem is question obviously was a problem since Ehrlich's team has revised their financial statements to show they did pay for a part of the amount.. I think the Dems found it odd that it had not been reported at all. I think the Dems also found it odd that not only was it used during the campaign free of charge, but it was also used after he won the election to take him and his family to and from their vacation in ocean city.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by demsformd
The first unethical aspect of Bob Ehrlich's tenure as governor-elect: a campaign helicopter that was not paid for from his campaign fund. So much for ending the culture of corruption in the statehouse.

Okay, exactly what law, rule, or regulation was broken? And what is a campaign helicopter? A supporter offering a ride in his personal helicopter isn’t something that qualifies as a contribution unless the owner of the helicopter normally provides paid for services with it. If that was the case then it is an “in-kind” contribution and needs to be reported. At least that is the way I read the code and how the state election commission seems to view it, based on what they have on their website.

If it is simply that you contend that because he has financially secure friends he will corrupt the office I think you are out of line and should even reconsider your thinking on the matter. I think that as our state is suffering fiscally it is nice to see the Governor-elect hanging out with those that know how to manage money well enough to afford a helicopter without digging deeper into my paycheck.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by SmallTown
But the problem is question obviously was a problem since Ehrlich's team has revised their financial statements to show they did pay for a part of the amount.. I think the Dems found it odd that it had not been reported at all. I think the Dems also found it odd that not only was it used during the campaign free of charge, but it was also used after he won the election to take him and his family to and from their vacation in ocean city.

Don't most business transactions involve an invoicing period? I know in business that if I buy something on the 1st of the month, I won't be billed for it until the next month, with 10 days to discount the invoice, or 30 days to pay the Net. At that rate, the Erlich campaign used the chopper on Nov 5/6/7'ish. If that were a vendor of mine, I'd be billed on Nov 25th, and have until December 30 to pay in full using standard business payment terms.

He's not even in office yet, and the Democrats are so bitter that they're as goofy as Merv Hampton...

SmallTown

Football season!
Hey, I voted for the guy and I was a little concerned with way his team handled the situation. From the response given by the plane owner and the political team, there was never going to be an invoice or anything. The plane owner just felt his assistance with the place would be more benefical than money.. It was just he didn't record it any of it.

Just read that another little quirk in the whole thing is that the plane owner is also a big wig with some media company that owns several stations in the baltimore area... And just like everywhere else in the country where the dems lost, they say the media helped to bring down their candidate. I don't get the baltimore channels, so I have no idea.. But this is also an example of abuse that COULD happen quite easily.

But everything is fine.. the campaign team is marking down the helo rides and paying the guy x dollars for his services so everything is fine.. Just follow the rules and it won't be a big deal.