Am I Being Shallow?

K

Kain99

A local small business owner of Middle Eastern descent is giving away free "I love America" Calendars... I understand that he is most likely dealing with prejudice and trying desperately to say... Hey I'm a good guy but, On one month in the calander there is a photo of the World Trade Center with a flag in the background. The quote said, let your alabaster cities shine.... or something like that. It made my stomach turn! Roy asked me if it was the towers or the flag or the quote or the damn statement and I just don't know.... I guess honestly It really bothers me to see pictures of the towers standing. Am I being shallow and unfair? It seems distasteful and I hate the damn quote!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Did you get one? Bring it tomorrow and we'll take a vote. :lol: Is it a one-size-fits-all (mass produced) calendar where they print the name of your business on the front? What month did the put the twin towers on?

watercolor

yeah yeah
well of course you are shallow. You are you! :kiss: You know I love ya.

unfortunatly the twin towers will shine up or down in all their glory for the rest of existance I think. Because it was such a horrific tragedy. But also, because, they are shown standing because they were so strong and brilliant and it still gives people hope I guess.

Not saying there is no hope left in the world...just merely stating that they will be a trademark of freedom forever more. SO there for, where you are coming from, you are not being shallow, but others might think so, because they look at it a different way.

Its all in the eye of the beholder.

K

Kain99

I will definitely bring the calander... It's a one size fits all... It really, really, really, rubs me wrong and I just don't know why... It's on the month September which also makes me want to scream!

K

Kain99

No jokes about it being a Liqour store calander OK? :razz2: Hey WC don't think it's too shallow cuz it's you B-Day present!!:biggrin:

K

Kain99

Forget it... I got it! Damn... I guess I need a shrink or something!

K

Kain99

Wow!! My son's listen to that frickin head bangin song everyday! (Let the bodies hit the floor) Very cool presentation....

I'd have been much happier with the calendar if it featured Dead Taliban bodies on the September page...

You know the towers don't signify hope to me... They signify death, destruction and the begining of a war that will effect our babies at home.

I just can't look at them and think wow, Look how strong we were?? :confused:

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by Kain99
No jokes about it being a Liqour store calander OK? :razz2: Hey WC don't think it's too shallow cuz it's you B-Day present!!:biggrin:

:eek:

well that is alright, it will just be wrapped right back up and given to you for christmas! :hohum:

watercolor

yeah yeah

You know the towers don't signify hope to me... They signify death, destruction and the begining of a war that will effect our babies at home.

I just can't look at them and think wow, Look how strong we were?? :confused:

I was not saying everyone hon. I was saying that some people feel that it does. It breaks my heart everytime I see them in standing. I just think of how many people were wrongfully taken. And did not even get a chance to say good-bye.

WOO...omm ok, gotta stop talking about it. Very sentimental you know

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
A local small business owner of Middle Eastern descent is giving away free "I love America" Calendars... I understand that he is most likely dealing with prejudice and trying desperately to say... Hey I'm a good guy but

My guess would be that he received a catalog in the mail, and he always gives away calendars, and figured that the USA calendar would be a good one. Most of the time when you order these things, you can't even see all the detail of each month. So, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, and take up your concerns with the publisher of the calendar if you don't like some of the content.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by vicos
Why do you point out the fact that he is of "Middle Eastern descent"? Are you insinuating that he is handing out calendars with a photo of the WTC to rub salt in the wounds?

See.. That's the thing, I have thought about it all night and I still don't have an honest answer.. "Would I have been so upset if a white merchant passed out the darn thing?"

I don't know.... I don't think I'm prejudice, I've continued buying beer from him since the attacks happened. So I don't hate them right?

But on the other hand, I have learned enough about their culture to last me a lifetime. I don't buy the peaceful loving BS.. The politically correct are shoveing down America's throats!

After all of the footage of Muslims training their children to murder American's I'm pretty much sold on the idea that the entire region needs an attitude adjustment.

So what's my main problem? still don't really know but I'm working on it!

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
After all of the footage of Muslims training their children to murder American's I'm pretty much sold on the idea that the entire region needs an attitude adjustment.

So what's my main problem? still don't really know but I'm working on it!

If the merchant is who I am thinking of, isn't he an Indian Catholic? Maybe that'll make you feel better! :confused:

K

Kain99

I'm not talking about DJ (At least that's what I call him :biggrin:) In Leonardtown... If that's who ya mean, but that's another funny thing, I Love DJ! Never feel uncomfortable around him.

The calander guy is Leonardtown Square. I don't know what he is exactly. I've never had the gall to ask.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
I'm not talking about DJ (At least that's what I call him :biggrin:) If that's who ya mean, but that's another funny thing, I Love DJ! Never feel uncomfortable around him.

The calander guy is Leonardtown Square. I don't know what he is exactly. I've never had the gall to ask.

Don't know the guy on the square. Didn't even know there was still a liquor store on the square anymore. Shows how much I drink!

Actually, Vi-Jay is the other guy... DJ is up in Mechanicsville. But I knew who you were talking about. :biggrin:

watercolor

yeah yeah
VICOS! She was merely stating observant facts. Out of all people, she is one who would NOT single someone out because of race. It was the whole thing, not just because of a certain race, or whatever. She was just stating the "facts"

Biscuit

Livin' Large
Idiot!

Originally posted by vicos
You can't hate Arabs just because of the actions of a few. Using the same logic, one could say that all Americans are terrorists because of the actions of the nut who blew up the Murrah Bldg. Hate is never justified and only serves to make the problem worst for both sides.

Hey, why don't you take the rag of your head and then we'll talk:bonk: :bonk:

watercolor

yeah yeah
I'm not talking about DJ (At least that's what I call him :biggrin:) In Leonardtown... If that's who ya mean, but that's another funny thing, I Love DJ! Never feel uncomfortable around him.

why not ask. There is no harm in asking. :smile:

K

Kain99

Originally posted by watercolor23
why not ask. There is no harm in asking. :smile:

Just chicken I guess... I am afraid of making him uncomfortable. Deep down, I guess I'm afraid of why I care so frickin much!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So what's my main problem?
Simple, Kain: You're a racist alcoholic! :lmao: Just kidding - I'm more willing to believe that you had a case of spontaneous PMS. Maybe that guy giving out those calendars really torked you off - and maybe they were just out of your brand of beer. Who knows?

And Vicos, I must respectfully say you're full of it. Muslim fanatics hate Americans and citizens of ANY free country simply because we have more stuff than they do and we don't follow their religion. It's as old as time. They have no interest in "tolerance" or "understanding" - they've been very clear about that. We, on the other hand, have been tolerant of them to a fault.

That said, I think that there's a difference between fanatics and people who merely follow the Muslim religion. Here's this guy, living in the US, running a business, handing out calendars that say "I Love America". Not sure anyone could make the case that he's going to bomb the White House anytime soon.

But then, it could just be a cover! Him running a liquor store smacks Americans in the face with their priorities. Also, he's contributing to the boozing of the citizenry, while smiling and proclaiming "I Love America". He likes it that we're a nation of alcoholic heathens!