building contractors

spinner

We are thinking about adding an addition to our house and will be looking for a contractor. Not having any experience what questions should we be asking? I'm a little worried about being ripped off. Thanks

watercolor

yeah yeah
Well you should first know how large of the addition and also, what your heat pump can handle first. Because, that can be the downfall right there. Also, MAKE SURE TO GET THE PERMITS YOURSELF from the county. Most contractors (not us) but most will charge for a "runner". So get your ducks in a row first and then proceed.

1) What is your budget? You should always base it around that.
2) Ask how long they have been in business. Once they tell you, ask them, their basic price on say a 24x24 edition or whatever.
3)Time Frame. Make sure to ask the time frame. Because some builders that I know will take forever and a day because they think they can charge you overtime. Dont let this happen
4) Ask them for references of customers. Ask them to give you 5 on the spot. Once that is given to you, then you pick and choose which ones you want, which in turn gives you the higher up, because they will not be able to call all the customers fast enough.
5) Ask them the material size..such as will it be 2x6's instead of 2x4's. and so on.

I can give you so much more. But also, check out prices at Lowes, or Home Depot also. A good contractor will welcome the idea that you have done your homework and some leg work. :smile:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Also make sure they are licensed/bonded/insured and don't hire one with the last name of Toogood. :wink:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by Sharon
Also make sure they are licensed/bonded/insured and don't hire one with the last name of Toogood. :wink:

The Toogood's "been took away..." :biggrin:

As for recommendations, you might try asking a Realtor what new home construction prices are. 5 Years ago it was between $100-$120/sqft. Then you will get a basic idea for budget. An addition should be cheaper because you don't need well/septic/driveway and the land is already paid for.

Ask an electrician or plumber who he would use if he built an addition. They see the quality of work before the walls cover everything up.

Ask the counterpeople at Deans, because they know who uses the better products, and who cuts corners based on the materials the contractor customer will specify and buy.

Call the Chamber of Commerce and ask for a list of Contractors that are members, so you get a feel for what builders are part of the extended community.

If a builder is holding an open house, swing in and see if he does home improvement as well, and look at his work.

If I had to estimate, I'd use $100/sqft as high price for addition construction cost, and see how far under than number you can get.

spinner

Does anybody have a contractor they would recommend? So far we have called six, one did come out, one made an appointment and didn't show or call, four never returned our call. Business must be booming! I really don't want to just call people out of the phone book, but we have asked everyone we can think of.

spinner

I don't think I want to get into who didn't show up or call back, but Tom Goldsboro did show up and was really nice.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by spinner
So far we have called six, one did come out, one made an appointment and didn't show or call, four never returned our call.
I have this exact same problem all the time whether I call for a painter, deck builder, driveway paver, tree cutter, etc.

yakky doodle

I don't know if you CAN do this, but put something in the contract stipulating the completion date as XYZ. My mother had an addition put on her home that took longer than most whole houses take to construct. Since she didn't have anyting in the contract about a completion date, she couldn't hang the guy when he took 4 months building a 24x15 addition :rolleyes:

also, check around this site I've not been to it, but it looks like it might have some info of use. Also, make sure you VERIFY that someone is licensed with the MD MHIC. I had someone tell me he is licensed, and give me a number, but when I checked it out, they had never heard of him, his company, or that MHIC number :frown:

Here is the website for the Maryland Home Improvement Commission

spinner

Have any of you had any or know someone who has work done by Morgan Construction in Hollywood? He seems very professional.
As for plumbers we use C&C plumbing. They come on time, and are very reasonable.

Restless Blood

Also make sure they are licensed/bonded/insured and don't hire one with the last name of Toogood.

I think a last name of "Dolittle" would be worse!

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by David
It's also been my recent experience that many tradesmen you call to do work won't even return your phone calls (plumbers) and the prices for people you have used before have gone up considerably.

Echo Spinner on C&C Plumbing. Excellent, professional, and reasonable.

Same goes for P&W Appliances when you need that dishwasher, 'fridge or washer/dryer serviced. Plus, it's nice to deal with people who actually spend their money in the community, rather than sending it to a corporate headquarters somewhere.

Cheetah

We don't have experience having contract work like that done, but the previous owners of our home used Jack Hammet in Prince Frederick to build two additions, roofing work, etc. I think he's more on the expensive side, but he does quality work/construction. We have his number at home. He's a big name in Calvert, and I'm sure if you mention his name at local hardware stores they'll know of him and his work.