60 Minutes last night(Wed.)

willie

After Dan Rather's screwup, I would have thought CBS would lay low for awhile. What did you think of the interview with the Italian Communist? My personal thoughts are that the Italians are bashing our military enough and they don't really need CBS's help. If it were a patriotic American making these charges then I might say, lets re-evaluate our procedures but a Communist with a history of America bashing? The "rebuttal" was very weak and came no where near describing what those checkpoint guards must go through. I sincerely wonder what is CBS's motive.

AC/DC

Lord, I apologize.
What sound does a bullet make as it goes through an Italian??

WOP :lmao:

And for the people who are going to whine about me making a racial joke, my grandfather got off the boat from Sicily when he was 12…….

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
willie said:
I sincerely wonder what is CBS's motive.
I don't understand it either. I didn't understand the Post carrying a big feature article on Jane Fonda last week, either. That was just a big "Kick Me" sign for conservatives. When it comes to CBS or the Post or the NY Times, people are always looking for signs of lefty bias. Why give them more to look for? Haven't the editors ever talked to veterans to hear what they think of Fonda? Shouldn't those news outlets bend over backward not to appear biased?

B

Bruzilla

It all goes to motivation and perspective. This Italian reporter is anti-Iraqi War/Anti-U.S. She's going to phrase everything she says and does in that context because she feels that she is right. She doesn't see the kidnappers as the bad guys, she sees the US as the bad guys because we "forced" the kidnappers into taking these actions. CBS wants to air the story because (I believe) many at that network agree with that view point to one degree or another. I would say that they just want to report on the news, but they would have known that based on previous interviews she would be blaming the US, and they would have offered a stronger rebuttal.

As for Jane Fonda, she's got a souring career and a new movie coming out that she's hoping will re-energize it. If the movie flops, so does she, so she's out trying to drum up support for herself - hence all of the "oh wo is me" stories that she's dishing out. I think she also believes that apologizing for sitting on the AA gun will win her some points, and I'm sure she actually believes that even though I don't thin it got her anywhere.

So I'm sure there are a lot of people at CBS who actually believe that there are now some Americans who have re-thought their positions on the war and the Pentagon's tactics, and who now thinkk that Jane Fonda is a pathetic creature who now needs our support. The abd thing is that I'm sure they are right in a few cases, but I think that most people saw through the BS.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Bruzilla said:
It all goes to motivation and perspective. ... I would say that they just want to report on the news, ...
That is a big misconception by viewers, liseners, and readers of most "mainstream" "news" media. They do not present the news. They are entertainers. It is about numbers, viewers, readers, and listeners, and advertising dollars. That is all. The news is subject to entertainment value, not the truth.
Bruzilla said:
As for Jane Fonda, she's got a souring career and a new movie coming out that she's hoping will re-energize it. If the movie flops, ...
A better person couldn't flop.

D

dems4me

willie said:
After Dan Rather's screwup, I would have thought CBS would lay low for awhile. What did you think of the interview with the Italian Communist? My personal thoughts are that the Italians are bashing our military enough and they don't really need CBS's help. If it were a patriotic American making these charges then I might say, lets re-evaluate our procedures but a Communist with a history of America bashing? The "rebuttal" was very weak and came no where near describing what those checkpoint guards must go through. I sincerely wonder what is CBS's motive.

I watched it and although I'm a dem too, I did notice a slight slant in the story and think it was a little one-sided and unfair. I generally like Dan Rather -- I just don't know why he's been soo absent minded the past year or two.... now ya' hear slogans such as "Dan Rather put the BS in CBS", etc... I don't think I'd ever heard something like that about 10 years ago... :shrug:

Christy

b*tch rocket
willie said:
My personal thoughts are that the Italians are bashing our military enough and they don't really need CBS's help.
:offtopic: But just as a note of clarification, Italy and it's military have been extremely supportive of the US in the war in Iraq as well as Afghanistan. Equating this communist chic to Italy's stance towards the US would be on the same level as equating Ward Churchill as the voice of Americans. :shrug:

willie

Christy said:
:offtopic: But just as a note of clarification, Italy and it's military have been extremely supportive of the US in the war in Iraq as well as Afghanistan. Equating this communist chic to Italy's stance towards the US would be on the same level as equating Ward Churchill as the voice of Americans. :shrug:
The Italian President is supportive but 70% of Italians are against involvement. Their President is probably history. What are the percentage of Communists in Italy? Pretty high, I believe.

rraley

A note about Italian politics...there are over forty political parties that vie for seats in a national parliament. Since there are so many political parties and because there is a proportional representation system of goverance, the ruling party often only controls 30% of the seats and must combine with other parties to gain power. Because of this, and because of constant changes in governing coalitions, the number of Italian government ruling parties has changed scores of times just in the past 6 years. It is quite the unstable country...hardly ever enjoys consistency in government.

Christy

b*tch rocket
willie said:
The Italian President is supportive but 70% of Italians are against involvement. Their President is probably history. What are the percentage of Communists in Italy? Pretty high, I believe.
:lol: You could say the same thing about the US. :lol: :shrug: