diamondback terrapin nesting

terrapingirl

I am a researcher at CBL in Solomons. I have a bunch of female diamondback terrapins, native to the Chesapeake Bay, which will hopefully be ready to lay eggs in about a month or two. I am looking to find a beach where we could construct a temporary enclosure to hold the terrapins. This enclosure would allow the terrapins access to both the water and and the beach so that they may nest. While some of the eggs will be used for research, a significant proportion will be returned to nature. If you can help by suggesting a beach or providing one, please reply. Thanks

girliegirl

terrapingirl said:
I am a researcher at CBL in Solomons. I have a bunch of female diamondback terrapins, native to the Chesapeake Bay, which will hopefully be ready to lay eggs in about a month or two. I am looking to find a beach where we could construct a temporary enclosure to hold the terrapins. This enclosure would allow the terrapins access to both the water and and the beach so that they may nest. While some of the eggs will be used for research, a significant proportion will be returned to nature. If you can help by suggesting a beach or providing one, please reply. Thanks
I am located in St. Mary's and live on the water, however there is not truly a beach down at my pier. We have found 2 terrapins in the waters behind my house in the last 2 or so years. If we can be of help, pls let us know.

BuddyLee

Football addict
terrapingirl said:
Try the Chesapeake Bay Biological lab or something like that in Solomons, it should be in the phone book. Also try Point Lookout State Park and ask to be directed to the visitor center. They are always looking to do crazy experiments with critters. You may reach PLO at 301-872-5688.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
BuddyLee said:
Try the Chesapeake Bay Biological lab or something like that in Solomons, it should be in the phone book. Also try Point Lookout State Park and ask to be directed to the visitor center. They are always looking to do crazy experiments with critters. You may reach PLO at 301-872-5688.

Originally Posted by terrapingirl
I am a researcher at CBL in Solomons.

:howdy:

RoseRed said:
:yeahthat: My thoughts exactly. Although, I do have to admit that until I read BL's post, I wasn't sure what CBL stood for, but when I read Terrapingirl's first post, I assumed that she worked at the lab on Solomons that I could not think of the name of.