Go Arnie!

ylexot

Super Genius
"Yesterday was a total screw-up in the words I used," the Republican said at a news conference. "Because instead of closing, I meant securing. I think maybe my English, I need to go back to school and study a little bit."

I'm a little disappointed that he apologized, but I don't understand how there is much difference between closing the border and securing the border. Either way it means no more illegal immigrants. Only a moron would think that he meant a complete lock-down on the border....but maybe that's why Democrats had a problem with the statement. :lmao:

Tomcat

Anytime
Anyone else notice the signs at Lowes are now bi-lingual? Are there that many illegles making it to Maryland? My favorite t-shirt seen in Key West "Welcome to America, now speak English"
Hey Vrai, how come the forums aren't bi-lingual?

Last edited:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Tomcat said:
Anyone else notice the signs at Lowes are now bi-lingual? Are there that many illegles making it to Maryland? My favorite t-shirt seen in Key West "Welcome to America, now speak English"
Hey Vrai, how come the forums aren't bi-lingual?

That's the newest member profile change. It'll be a premo option, however, so only the reechest bi-linguals will be able to afford it.

ylexot

Super Genius
More good stuff from Arnie!
"I think they've done a terrific job," Schwarzenegger said of the "Minuteman" volunteers, who plan to expand to California in June. "They've cut down the crossing of illegal immigrants a huge percentage. So it just shows that it works when you go and make an effort and when you work hard. It's a doable thing."

The governor added that, "It's just that our federal government is not doing their job. It's a shame that the private citizen has to go in there and start patrolling our borders."
:getdown: :banana:
Anybody have stats on the effect the Minutemen are having?

I also like this quote:
U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) expressed surprise that Schwarzenegger would be "praising efforts by untrained volunteers to patrol the borders. The best course … would be to add an additional 2,000 border patrol agents."
:dork: When you actually get some more border patrol agents, come back and talk to us. Until then, those "untrained volunteers" are doing a hell of a lot more than you! :loser:

rraley

NBC ran a story yesterday about Arnie's declining polling numbers...it seems that he is in danger of having overreached on his mandate.

I wouldn't be too suprised if he lost the next election. Remember, California is home to many Latinos who are extremely sensitive to the immigration issue. Coming out so strongly against illegal immigration, though smart policy-wise, isn't smart politically.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
rraley said:
NBC ran a story yesterday about Arnie's declining polling numbers...it seems that he is in danger of having overreached on his mandate.

I wouldn't be too suprised if he lost the next election. Remember, California is home to many Latinos who are extremely sensitive to the immigration issue. Coming out so strongly against illegal immigration, though smart policy-wise, isn't smart politically.
Well if the Democrats would keep illegal Latinos from voting, he wouldn't have a problem.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My Hillary-Gore loving Auntie in Barstow says that Arnie is doing a heck of a job and her and all her libby friends are very pleased with him. So I don't know who these pollers are asking.

I predict a landslide re-election for Arnie, if he wants it.

rraley

Vrai, I don't see how an incumbent with a 40% approval rating can win a landslide election. I think that he is still favored, but a win (which I considered impossible a couple months ago) for the Democratic candidate is not entirely impossible.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
rraley said:
Vrai, I don't see how an incumbent with a 40% approval rating can win a landslide election.
I think people get too caught up with polls and approval ratings. I'm a Zogby poller and there were many weeks during his first term that I gave George Bush a no-joy. But I still voted for him in the election because he wasn't perfect, but he was better than John Kerry.

Arnold is unbeatable. He has name recognition, which is what 99% of the citizenry votes on - EVERYONE knows who Arnold Schwarzenegger is. He has a famous wife. He has great personal charisma.

Raley, you give your fellow Americans WAY too much credit. It would behoove you to step outside your paradigm and actually talk to average voters. They're stupid. They have no idea who they're voting for, past the R or D after their name.

You are an aware, policy-oriented person, therefore you think everyone is. It doesn't help that you wander these forums, talking to other aware, policy-oriented people. You need to talk to average dumbells - the ones that REALLY affect elections.

Why do you think incumbents always have a significant edge when it comes election time? It's not because they've done such a great job - it's because that's the only name your average voter recognizes on the ballot. Tom Daschle had to work HARD to get tossed. KKT was almost our Governor and she wasn't qualified to be so much as the gal that asks if you want fries with that.

Name recognition. Arnold's got it. They might as well not even hold an election, unless they get Brad Pitt to run against him.

rraley

Gray Davis...had high name recognition...everyone knew him...he got recalled...American voters are not the brightest, many of them. They often base their opinion on policy on false facts or inaccurate pressures, but they do not soley base their votes on name recognition.

Where the ignorance of the American voter comes in is not voting for the candidate they've heard of the most, it comes in when they formulate their opinion on complex issues (like SS reform, immigration, etc.).

Plus, California gave Kerry a one million vote margin in the last election. It's solidly blue and quite liberal...a Democrat is never going to lose by a landslide unless something improbable happens.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
rraley said:
Gray Davis...had high name recognition...everyone knew him...he got recalled...
Recall is not re-election.

It's solidly blue and quite liberal...a Democrat is never going to lose by a landslide unless something improbable happens.
For instance? I'm going to give you a minute to think about that before I say "Ronald Wilson Reagan".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
rraley said:
Reagan won back in the 1960s and 1970s...quite a different time...Then, Texas was solidly Democratic.
Don't forget the 80's.

The fact remains that California chose a Republican governor by a landslide. They could have chosen their Lt. Gov (a Democrat), but they didn't. I am not saying that they chose Ahnuld because he was a Republican - I'm saying they chose him because he's famous.