WTF only 13 years?

BuddyLee

Football addict
I thought the same. I also saw Autopsy 8 on HBO last night where a man got 125 years for rape. The scales of justice sure are balanced.:yay:

BuddyLee

Football addict
pixiegirl said:
What's wrong with that? If I ran the country he'd of been castrated. :yay:
13 years for almost blowing up a plane and 125 years for rape. Just doesn't seem balanced to me.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
BuddyLee said:
13 years for almost blowing up a plane and 125 years for rape. Just doesn't seem balanced to me.

One is a British court's sentence, the other an American court's sentence (was it overturned or turned back at too severe? Bet it was)

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Didja catch the irony in the writer's name?

By JILL LAWLESS, Associated Press Writer

LONDON - [size=-1]A British judge sentenced a Muslim scholar to 13 years in prison Friday after he admitted conspiring with shoebomber Richard Reid to blow up a trans-Atlantic jetliner in 2001. [/size]

B

Bruzilla

I believe the rapist got 125 years for actually raping someone, while this guy got 13 years for essentially doing nothing. Imagine if every guy (or woman) who ever thought about having non-consensual sex with someone else got 13 years in prison... there'd be no room for the crack dealers! I'm surprised he got even that much time. He didn't try to light a shoebomb on a plane; he didn't try to get on a plane with a shoebomb; he didn't even buy a ticket to get on a plane. He apparently didn't do anything but talk with Ried about doing it, then thought the better of it and walked away... which is exactly what we want would-be terrorists to do. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't have even brought this guy to trial.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
You also have to keep in mind that he pled guilty, which usually comes with a lesser sentence than if he'd actually gone to trial. He also probably took a plea bargain, dropping it even more.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Nickel said:
You are so mental. :rolleyes: Violent rape should be punishable by death.
:duh: I wasn't saying rape should be punishable by 1 year, 125 years, or even death. I was merely making a comparison.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
BuddyLee said:
:duh: I wasn't saying rape should be punishable by 1 year, 125 years, or even death. I was merely making a comparison.
And I was merely calling you mental. :huggy: