Missin' SOMD

PJay

Anyone else out there with me?

I was happy, then sad, to find this site. I've been reading through some of the threads. Smilin' one minute, cryin' the next. I left MD some moons ago. Never wanting to look back. I flew to the sunshine state, thinking sunny all the time would be great. Funny...how the thing's I longed to run from, are now the thing's I long to run back to. Though I am sure MD is not the same, nothing stays the same. Maybe just romancing the thought of it being like it once was. It did help to read in one of the threads that the "Bobwhites" and "Whip-er-wils" :whistle: are no longer around...sad. One of the many thing's I miss. Also, the blue steamed crabs smothered in ole bay. Hardly can find any here in the south, not the way they make'em back home. *mouthwatering*

Anyhoo, thanks all of you here for all the trips down memory lane. Oh, one fella here, hmmm, forget his name, (sorry, incase you happen to pop in here) he made a site about Marlow Heights in the 60's and 70's, haven't had the time to check it out yet, but in one of your post you talked
about "Grits" ...thank you. Thought maybe I made them up. I remember them. I had forgot that that's what they were called until I read what you wrote. I went to Thomas Stone High school in the 70's. That's when I was introduced to them, course I tried to stay out of their way. But, sometimes it was very hard to do so, specially when needing to use the bathroom. They gathered there to smoke. I'll never forget the countless times the bathroom went up in flames after they'd string toilet paper around the stalls, then with a strike of a match..POOF. I learned how fast paper will burn. And for any Thomas Stone peeps out there that don't know, you can thank them for that space that is now called a smoking lounge...if it's still there. Have wondered about that also.

Last edited:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Gotta love them dayum grits. Glad you could stop by and reminice. Hope wherever life has taken you that you have enjoyed all that it has to offer. I myself have found my home and my life in this county and relish in how in a place that grows bigger by the day you can still go anywhere and see someone you know.

meme

The Smart Hooker
I moved to the great sunny state too. I admit, I miss good ole SOMD sometimes. I miss seeing snow...we only have 3 season where I'm at and Fall only lasts a few weeks. :ohwell:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Homesick said:
It did help to read in one of the threads that the "Bobwhites" and "Whip-er-wils" :whistle: are no longer around...sad.
I can assure you the "Whip-er-wils" are alive and well. I was listening to one last night around 11 right outside my window. :smile:

My best friend couldn't wait to get out of Maryland and moved to Florida, vowing never to return. She came back about 5 years ago and now loves it here. I guess absence does make the heart grow fonder - well, in some cases. :lol:

Crabby Blue

I'm in Florida as well, left in the early
90's..........I grew up for 20 years in
So. MD........I am a SMIB..........funny
thing, one of my neighbors is from the
7th district, Abell that is, I had lived
there........and yeah, he's a Good Ole Boy...
.....he don't like me much, I talk regular,
just a slight southern MD drawl....
.....people think I grew up in the south........

I was homesick only the first 2 years,
I've moved around a bit in FL, it's nice
here, would never go back to SOMD,
never........I do miss Stuffed Ham tho,
had it brought down to me once, from
that grocer in Leonardtown.......Raley's?
and Steam Blue crabs, they sell them by
the lbs. down here.........ahahahahaha.....
They ain't got the mud in em like MD
crabs.......oh, and oysters!......chit!!

I've heard St. Mary's co. has almost
doubled in population in the last dozen
years........ouch.........how wide is 235
now? haha......they had just widened it
when I departed.......

PJay

Thank you, TIGERLILY. Not sure what happened, a song on the radio at the time was singing "going to buy me a one way ticket on a south bound train" (something like that) Then there I was, sunny Florida. After a couple weeks sickness set in (homesickness that is) I should've just taken a vacation.

Meme, I don't miss the winters. So guess that's what keeps me from running back. You could say I am edging my way back. I've since moved up the coast a bit, too hot for my blood in South Florida. (Won't mention how big the bugs are)

Jazz Lady, good to hear they're alive and well. Sure miss them. Ah, wondering if you could record them for me and send me the tape? *Wink* Happy for your friend.

Crabby Blue, (love the name) I hear ya, miss the blue crabs, and the homemade sausage. Oh, and the flea market in St. Mary's, miss buying the Amish homegrown stuff. I haven't had a decent homegrown tomato since I left. Anyone know if that market still there? I thought moving further south, veggies would be better, crabs bigger etc. Not the case. Nothing is the same here. Not sure what it is. I've given up asking for blue steamed crabs in resturants, tired of people looking at me funny...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Homesick said:
Jazz Lady, good to hear they're alive and well. Sure miss them. Ah, wondering if you could record them for me and send me the tape? *Wink*
I'd be happy to since I hear them most nights. :smile: Sometimes they are so close it sounds like they're in the house with you. :lol:

K

Kizzy

I'd move to Florida in a New York minute. Today, I was up in the Target shopping center and I will say that I had "Waldorf" flashbacks. I don't know if today was just a busy shopping day, since it was beautiful outside. Maybe, everyone was beating feet to Lowes to get flowers and whatnot for doing yard work outside, but the traffic was congested.

MargeInCharge

Homesick said:
Oh, and the flea market in St. Mary's, miss buying the Amish homegrown stuff. I haven't had a decent homegrown tomato since I left. Anyone know if that market still there?

If you mean the Farmer's Market in Charlotte Hall, yep, it's still here. I was just there a couple of weeks ago, but it had been ages since I had been before that. Funny how when you live 5 miles away from it (we live in Golden Beach), you never seem to go, but when we lived in Brandywine when I was a kid, we used to come down quite often. I remember my grandparents taking us to the auctions and buying eggs, etc. It was big fun for us kids :smile: Although it was scary when my grandfather used to take us out to the Amish farms and the men would tease us, saying they'd love to keep us and put us to work. We thought they meant it!

PJay

Kizzy, if you don't like the traffic where you are now, forget Florida.
You mentioned "Target" and "Lowes", are they located in St. Mary's Co.? Mechancisville? If so, can't believe it. Nothing like that there when I was there. Can't picture.

jazz lady, well if you didn't appreciate hearing them before, hope you do now.
They bring a peacefulness, least they did to me.

MargeInCharge, yes you are correct, Farmer's Market in Charlotte Hall. They call them "flea markets here." I left the area in 97. I use to live in Golden Beach, too. I went often. Loved to look around for treasures, most importantly the fresh produce the Amish had for sale, and baked goods. Many Amish still around? I was always amazed by them, they're life style. Wondered how they were able to do it. Wondering if it's become tougher for them in getting around, not getting run over. When I lived there the only grocery stores was an IGA, a newly Food Lion. There was a nursery, believe the name was "Wentworths"? How about "Berts" restaurant? It was a 50's 60's style restaurant, he had car shows there. Can't recall what else at the moment. Wasn't much. Appreciate if anyone can give me a new visual.

Last edited:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Homesick said:
Funny...how the thing's I longed to run from, are now the thing's I long to run back to.

I've had those feelings recently about two ex-girlfriends... :cheers:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Homesick said:
You mentioned "Target" and "Lowes", are they located in St. Mary's Co.? Mechancisville? If so, can't believe it. Nothing like that there when I was there. Can't picture.
On 235 from the light at the intersection with Route 4 (St. Andrew's Church Road) to the base is now a 6-lane thoroughfare. The whole area has changed. First Colony has Lowe's, Target, Giant, Michael's, Pier 1, and a host of other stores. It's absolutely crazy.

jazz lady, well if you didn't appreciate hearing them before, hope you do now. They bring a peacefulness, least they did to me.
I love them. I laid in the hammock on my front porch last night and drifted off for a nap listening to them and the soft rain falling. :smile:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
jazz lady said:
On 235 from the light at the intersection with Route 4 (St. Andrew's Church Road) to the base is now a 6-lane thoroughfare. The whole area has changed. First Colony has Lowe's, Target, Giant, Michael's, Pier 1, and a host of other stores. It's absolutely crazy.

I love them. I laid in the hammock on my front porch last night and drifted off for a nap listening to them and the soft rain falling. :smile:

You forgot BJ's and the Wa-Wa that replaced the Western Steer. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
RoseRed said:
You forgot BJ's and the Wa-Wa that replaced the Western Steer. :yay:
Actually, I figured he might not know what they are. :lol:

BJ's is a membership warehouse like Sam's Club and Wawa is a gas station/convenience store.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
jazz lady said:
Actually, I figured he might not know what they are. :lol:

BJ's is a membership warehouse like Sam's Club and Wawa is a gas station/convenience store.

I didn't see them mentioned. My bad... I tired. :yawn:

PJay

jazz lady, you figured right.

6-lane thoroughfare?! Lordy, I'm staying put.

Must say, I'm feeling much better now.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Homesick said:
jazz lady, you figured right.

6-lane thoroughfare?! Lordy, I'm staying put.

Must say, I'm feeling much better now.
There have been a lot of changes in the 8 years you've been gone, that's for sure. I wish back for a simpler, more rural atmosphere but I fear it's gone for good. :frown: There's still a lot of rural charm away from 235, but even that's being built up slowly but surely.

It's still nothing like Florida, especially around the Orlando area. The friend I talked about lived there for 10 years. I wouldn't have lasted a month. :lol: I came home tonight to my house and was amazed again at how many stars I could see in the clear sky without the light pollution of the city. That to me is priceless. :smile:

cissp

Cyber Cop
Homesick said:
Anyone else out there with me?

I was happy, then sad, to find this site. I've been reading through some of the threads. Smilin' one minute, cryin' the next. I left MD some moons ago. Never wanting to look back. I flew to the sunshine state, thinking sunny all the time would be great. Funny...how the thing's I longed to run from, are now the thing's I long to run back to. Though I am sure MD is not the same, nothing stays the same. Maybe just romancing the thought of it being like it once was. It did help to read in one of the threads that the "Bobwhites" and "Whip-er-wils" :whistle: are no longer around...sad. One of the many thing's I miss. Also, the blue steamed crabs smothered in ole bay. Hardly can find any here in the south, not the way they make'em back home. *mouthwatering*

Anyhoo, thanks all of you here for all the trips down memory lane. Oh, one fella here, hmmm, forget his name, (sorry, incase you happen to pop in here) he made a site about Marlow Heights in the 60's and 70's, haven't had the time to check it out yet, but in one of your post you talked
about "Grits" ...thank you. Thought maybe I made them up. I remember them. I had forgot that that's what they were called until I read what you wrote. I went to Thomas Stone High school in the 70's. That's when I was introduced to them, course I tried to stay out of their way. But, sometimes it was very hard to do so, specially when needing to use the bathroom. They gathered there to smoke. I'll never forget the countless times the bathroom went up in flames after they'd string toilet paper around the stalls, then with a strike of a match..POOF. I learned how fast paper will burn. And for any Thomas Stone peeps out there that don't know, you can thank them for that space that is now called a smoking lounge...if it's still there. Have wondered about that also.

Homesick,
I'm with you. I basically grew up in Marlow Heights, and lived in Northern Virginia from '85-'04 (except for one year in Italy). Last year I had this wild dream to flee the awful DC area traffic, long commutes, and extremely rude people. I managed to get an offer from a company in Melbourne, Florida, and in the beginning it was almost too good to be true: my salary only dropped less than 10% what it was in the DC area, the company paid for full relocation, heck, even gave me a "disruption bonus". Bought a nice house with an average 20 minute drive to work. The weather was great, and the people seemed to be very courteous and friendly. Then the four hurricanes hit us.

After the first one we did not have commercial power for 10 days, after the last one, we were without commercial power for five days. Thank God we bought a generator that could power the entire house! But running that thing 24 hours a day, and going to the gas station every two to three days to fill up gas cans (with long waits due to shortages everywhere) was no fun. The damage to our home was bad enough that we needed to get a new roof and new privacy fence. We eventually had those things replaced, but it was a five month ordeal, dealing with the insurance company and the housing contractors.

Well, this area seems to be an increasingly popular destination, so the roads are getting more congested everyday, lengthening drive times, and making people more aggressive. The other thing is, well, the "laid back" culture here. Good in a way, but frustrating when you're trying to get something done with a business or local/state agency. For example, you have to go one place to get your driver's license (a 3 1/2 hour wait for me, a four hour wait for my mother), and yet another place to register your vehicles. I get the impression that the folks down here don't care if they get your business in the first place, or keep it if you decide to hire them.

Despite the sunshine and generally year round good weather (I could sit out in my patio in shorts and t-shirt just about every day of the year), I found myself missing the four seasons. If there's more than one season here, I missed it. I also found myself missing things about the DC area, and outer DC areas like SOMD. I guess that's what led me to put together my Marlow Heights web site. The more I worked on it, the more I missed the DC area generally, and Maryland specifically (yeah, even PG County!).

I don't want to bad mouth this part of Florida. It has a lot going for it, and some people really love it here. I decided to try to find a way back. But rather than heading back to Northern Virginia where I lived since '85, I decided to try to find work in SOMD. If that doesn't pan out, I'll try someplace else in Maryland closer to the Beltway. I have made some positive steps. Today I had a technical phone interview with a company that does contract work at Pax River. If hired, I would be given full relocation--can't beat that. Only time will tell if I interested this company enough to fly me up for an in person interview. Keep your fingers crossed for me! If that doesn't work out, I'll keep plugging away.

If I do manage to get back to Maryland, particularly SOMD, then my move down to Florida will have been a nice one year vacation in the Sunshine State. And it was a good move, because we made a killing off selling our home in Dale City, and we have no debts. I know I'm going to have to deal with the higher housing prices up there, but believe it or not, the prices down here aren't that much less. It's every bit as much of a seller's market down here as it is up there, so it's very likely I'll do well in selling my home here.