Bush Press Conference TONIGHT!

ylexot

Super Genius
Here are a couple articles discussing it...
http://www.nypost.com/commentary/23591.htm
Until now, Bush hasn't fought back. But maybe that's changing. Tonight he'll hold his first prime-time press conference in more than a year. Bush isn't crazy about them, but he generally does well, as most Americans like him personally.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050428/pl_nm/bush_newsconference_dc_3
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush will hold a prime time press conference on Thursday night, his first in over a year, to offer more details about his plans to overhaul Social Security, the White House announced.

rraley

Perhaps this will help as much as his sixty stops in sixty day campaign-style tour of America to pick up support for his Social Security reform proposals.

rraley

It probably will since a Bush press conference is indeed quite rare.

From a political standpoint, I don't see a press conference helping the President in pushing his Social Security reform measures. His numbers are tanking on the issue (31% approval rating on SS) and its been one of the most covered topics in the news.

ylexot

Super Genius
rraley said:
It probably will since a Bush press conference is indeed quite rare.

From a political standpoint, I don't see a press conference helping the President in pushing his Social Security reform measures. His numbers are tanking on the issue (31% approval rating on SS) and its been one of the most covered topics in the news.
Nope. The most covered topics are Michael Jackson and the pope. There is very little coverage about the SS plan in the press (at least, not that I've seen). I've seen many ads against SS reforms, but have yet to see anything about the plan. I think that's why the numbers are low and why he's doing the conference. He's trying to counter all the negative and misleading advertisements.

rraley

ylexot...I have seen plenty of pro-Bush ads...very effective in my minds..."Take 15 seconds and name a solution offered by Democrats for Social Security."

Wall Street is fully behinid the plan, there's plenty of money being spent on the plan.

Sure, the pope, and Whacko Jacko got much coverage but in terms of political stories the filibuster and SS reform are the top stories being discussed. Plus, do you recall his focus on SS in the State of the Union address?