Bill Would Put Serial Numbers on Bullets

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
This is an ammunition ban in disguise. Got to love the left coast - NOT.
Bill Would Put Serial Numbers on Bullets
April 26, 2005 9:39 PM EDT
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - A state Senate committee approved a proposal Tuesday to put a serial number on every handgun bullet made or sold in California.

The measure cleared the Senate Public Safety Committee on a 4-2 vote over opposition from manufacturers, firearms dealers and sport shooters.

The technology exists to laser-cut bullets with a number that police could use to trace who purchased bullets used in crimes, said Democratic sponsor Sen. Joseph Dunn.

Purchasers would pay up to a half a cent per bullet to fund record-keeping by the state Department of Justice. Vendors would pay up to $50 a year.

"We'll solve a lot of crimes if this becomes law," said Attorney General Bill Lockyer.

If approved by the Legislature, the law would take effect in July 2007.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sure, that'll work. Unless some criminal steals ammo, as criminals are wont to do. Or they just make their own bullets.

"We'll solve a lot of crimes if this becomes law," said Attorney General Bill Lockyer.
:dork: What an idiot. I'm some dummy non-gun person sitting next to a cow pasture and even I can see the flaw in that "logic".

Hello6

Princess of Mean
:tinfoilhat:

You know, the next step is to put serial numbers on Californians, to warn us normal folks when we meet one, and then we can act accordingly.
or....
You know, the next step is to put serial numbers on criminals, because bullets don't kill people, CRIMINALS do.
or....
What a great idea, cause that whole serial number on the gun thing has been such a smashing success!

/removing tinfoil hat

Vince

Hello6 said:
:tinfoilhat:

You know, the next step is to put serial numbers on Californians, to warn us normal folks when we meet one, and then we can act accordingly.
or....
You know, the next step is to put serial numbers on criminals, because bullets don't kill people, CRIMINALS do.
or....
What a great idea, cause that whole serial number on the gun thing has been such a smashing success!
:roflmao: :roflmao:

Vince

Spoiled said:
How is this an ammunition ban?
How is this an ammunition ban? Well let me think now. Just wait a few years until all the serialized ammunition is in circulation. Then you know who (the law abiding citizen) has it because they have all their nice neat records and they come out with a nice new law stating "all citizens will turn in their ammunition at this place." Hence the ammunition ban. And of course, like their stupid azz gun laws, the ammunition is taken from the law abiding citizen, but still remains in the hands of the criminal. Because the criminal will steal it.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
It would be hilarious if ammo manufacturers pull a "Barrett" and refuse to sell ammo in Kali, including to the cops and the Feds.

Vince

Sharon said:
It would be hilarious if ammo manufacturers pull a "Barrett" and refuse to sell ammo in Kali, including to the cops and the Feds.
I would laugh my azz off.
:killingme

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Bogart said:
Like when they refused to sell them electricity? :killingme

And they got punished for that... because the state wanted a better deal than a free market due to their own poor planning. I wonder how often Gray Davis thinks, "If I just allowed those long term contracts the year before!" :frown:

And to the peanut gallery... yes, they have proved there was some gaming of the market, but not to any degree that could have caused the major dysfunction of the Kali power market. All that happened was the existing conditions that Kali put itself in lended itself to same corrupt folk gaming the market.

Ponytail

Is there gonna be border control for those crossing into Cali to search for ammo made outside of Cali?

Imagine the shock that they'd all have to suffer through at the thought of crimes still being committed with bullets with no serial numbers...from guns with no serial numbers! OMG!!!! :rolleyes:

For crying out loud, they can't find a GD full grown mexican, how are they going to find a friggin bullet...or 20?

Unreal. Only in Cali. Where's Arnold at in all this? He'll save us!

Cletus_Vandam

Spoiled said:

If you want to ask a question, why not ask how are serial numbers supposed to solve any of the crimes or decrease violent crimes from comitted in the first place?

or better yet,

Why don't we collect a single spent casing from every new gun sold in the State and put them in huge database. That way when a casing is found on a crime scene the casing can be put into the "system" and we can link it to the gun that fired to round.... Oh wait, Maryland already tried that.. It failed miserably and cost the taxpayers millions of dollars. The programed failed to solve one crime! Tax dollars were wasted that could have provided more police on the streets, built new schools in the county, bought new text books for your kids, funded college grants, fixed more potholes in the roads....

Why aren't you complaining about that?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ponytail said:
Is there gonna be border control for those crossing into Cali to search for ammo made outside of Cali?
I didn't even think about that :lmao:

So noted to anyone who was ever intimidated by a politician and thought they were a big wheel - they're not. They're just as retarded as anyone else. Sometimes more so.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Cletus_Vandam said:
If you want to ask a question, why not ask how are serial numbers supposed to solve any of the crimes or decrease violent crimes from comitted in the first place?
Because they weren't thinking. And what's interesting is that only 2, count 'em, 2 Senate Public Safety Committee members were.

Triggerfish

Sounds like for most part it would be a waste of effort and money. I do see some pros and cons.

The cons were pretty much already covered by the others. The pros....well it may not solve the crime but it may actually help the police where to start the investigation. Maybe some evidence where the bullets were stolen. :shrug:

Last edited:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Cletus_Vandam said:

or better yet,

Why don't we collect a single spent casing from every new gun sold in the State and put them in huge database. That way when a casing is found on a crime scene the casing can be put into the "system" and we can link it to the gun that fired to round.... Oh wait, Maryland already tried that.. It failed miserably and cost the taxpayers millions of dollars. The programed failed to solve one crime! Tax dollars were wasted that could have provided more police on the streets, built new schools in the county, bought new text books for your kids, funded college grants, fixed more potholes in the roads....

Why aren't you complaining about that?
I wonder why it failed? Doesn't each gun leave a unique mark like a fingerprint? I don't know enough about ballistics to go on anymore, that's why I'm asking.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's not an ammunition ban per se...

Spoiled said:

Do you have any idea how much it's going to cost, per bullet, to ####ING ENGRAVE THEM?

Many, many manufacturers, especially smaller ones, will just stop selling to California. The retail price will go to the moon thus limiting consumption. You say Toe-may-toe I say defacto ammunition ban.

Maryland has a requirement for an extra and useless internal lock on handguns. Many of the best quality manufacturers simply quit selling in Maryland.

And at the end of the day, a poor, over worked California criminal is now gonna have one more stupid law to break.

"Edward! We had better not do that drive by we had planned for this weekend! Our ammunition will give us away to the authorities!"

"Not to worry, Thomas, we purloined the gun AND the ammo, remember?"

"Ah yes, Edward! Good thinking! Good show! Props to us and what not! Tally ho! ...Ha ha ha!! Hey!? That ryhmes! Show! Ho! Ha ha ha!!!"

"Thomas, if you do that again, I shall place a serial numbered cap in your purloined posterior."

And Californians can sleep ever sounder knowing good law is there, somewhere, to save a brothers azz.

Cletus_Vandam said:
It failed miserably and cost the taxpayers millions of dollars. The programed failed to solve one crime!
Actually, that hideous program helped solve a whopping 1 crime. Happened about a month ago.