Evolution vs Creationism??? What do you feel should be in public schools?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Evolution is a proven science and would be part of a science curriculum. Creationism is a religious belief and would be taught...in what class? None, that's what.

That said, I have no real problem if schools had a World Religion class. Even if you don't believe in God, it's still part of our cultural heritage and something we should at least be familiar with.

truby20

Fighting like a girl
vraiblonde said:
That said, I have no real problem if schools had a World Religion class. Even if you don't believe in God, it's still part of our cultural heritage and something we should at least be familiar with.

I agree with this 100%....too many (myself included) left high school with little knowledge of different religions and how they have affected cultures in this and other countries. Teach the idea of creationism all you want but give equal time to the other religions.

Spoiled

vraiblonde said:
Evolution is a proven science and would be part of a science curriculum. Creationism is a religious belief and would be taught...in what class? None, that's what.

i second all of that :huggy: :clap:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Spoiled said:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/nation/11592176.htm

I think what we can prove scientifically should be taught in schools. There is no hard evidence for intelligent deisgn or creationism... I dont quite unterstand how one would go about teaching a biology class without being able to talk about natural selection? Can someone clear that up for me?
There is no hard evidence for evolution either. It, too, is a faith system.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
2ndAmendment said:
There is no hard evidence for evolution either. It, too, is a faith system.
I'm not talking about monkey-to-man or anything like that - you're right, that is merely a theory, not a fact. I'm talking about basic evolution, where an animal or plant goes through biological changes in order to adapt to its environment.

Christy

b*tch rocket
vraiblonde said:
I'm not talking about monkey-to-man or anything like that - you're right, that is merely a theory, not a fact. I'm talking about basic evolution, where an animal or plant goes through biological changes in order to adapt to its environment.
:yeahthat:

Which IMHO doesn't go against creationism. :shrug:

Personally, I think it would be a splendid if the research into "where we came from" was not so riddled with political agendas. The Christians trying to prove the scientists wrong, the scientists trying to prove the Christians wrong. By doing so, both sides have thrown out or poo pood, relevant factual information that meets somewhere in the middle. :shrug:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I agree with Vrai. Evolution is silent on the subject of deity, and it should be.

I would expand the World Religions class to make it a comparative religions class, including a section on different religions' creation teachings.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
No disagreement with micro-evolution or adaptation/mutation.

Hessian

Fossils of Metamorphesis stages & growth stages can easily be misinterpreted as "The MISSING link!!!"

The Descent of Man according to the finds in the last century have been revised & fought over (within the scientific commuity) until it is a confused mess.
That said.....I do not want non-believers trying to teach creationism or even intelligent design because of the misinterpretation & sarcasm they would attach to it.

SO
Teach the theory of evolution...explain that it is the basis of many models, explain that there is evidence that leaves even our brightest scientists puzzled. And refer religious questions of origins to those well studied in creationism.----as said before: BOTH require faith.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
vraiblonde said:

Absolutly agree. Religion until recent times was the major force in almost all world events and a World Religion class would be good since all religions really have a different veiw of how the world was created. A world religion class would really be nothing more than another history class.

B

Bruzilla

But creation and evolution are both incorrect. We should teahc our kids that we were seeded here by aliens!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bustem' Down said:
A world religion class would really be nothing more than another history class.
Yes, and I don't see how you can legitimately teach history without bringing religion into it. We learned Greek and Roman mythology in elementary school and that is nothing more than ancient religion. Why not teach it all?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bruzilla said:
But creation and evolution are both incorrect. We should teahc our kids that we were seeded here by aliens!
You laugh, but we actually had a class in high school about UFOs and alien encounters. I didn't take it but it was supposed to be a pretty good class.

Spoiled

vraiblonde said:
You laugh, but we actually had a class in high school about UFOs and alien encounters. I didn't take it but it was supposed to be a pretty good class.
in highschool? damn where did you go?

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
vraiblonde said:
Yes, and I don't see how you can legitimately teach history without bringing religion into it. We learned Greek and Roman mythology in elementary school and that is nothing more than ancient religion. Why not teach it all?
For some reason people don't like to look at greek and Roman (etc.) mythology as religion. 4000 years from now, people might be looking back at us and studying our "mythology".

But all that's beside the point, religion has been the driving force in culture since we discovered fire. The key term is that religion, all of them, need to be taught in school, not preached. I think that's what scares everybody, (or liberals as you like to call them vrai :lol:). You start talking about teaching a religion class and people get all in arms like it's going to be a bible study class. You don't even have to use the bible to teach the basic dogmatic principles of Christianty.

SmallTown

Football season!
Bruzilla said:
so THAT is the story you mom told you when you found out your dad was out of the country when she conceived!

haha j/k

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
SmallTown said:
so THAT is the story you mom told you when you found out your dad was out of the country when she conceived!

haha j/k
I have heard a theory that Homo Sapien was created when aliens breeded with another speicies of humans (Homo Erectus I think).