The Constitution is a legal document

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
[size=+2]Finally, a Supreme Court Judge that has it right!

[/size]
[size=+2] Scalia critical of 'living Constitution' [/size] [size=+1] [/size]

05/05/2005

By JUAN A. LOZANO / Associated Press

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia on Thursday said the public — not the courts — should make decisions on controversial issues such as abortion, the death penalty and gay rights.

He said too many courts are interpreting the Constitution as a document that evolves with society, but that he believes it should be interpreted as it was written.

"The Constitution is not a living organism. It is a legal document ... and like all legal documents it doesn't change," Scalia told about 1,000 people during a 30-minute speech at the George Bush Presidential Library Center at Texas A&M University.
When the public supported the right of women to vote, Scalia said, Congress passed the 19th Amendment to the Constitution. Scalia said that would not happen today, but instead judges would simply read in such a right into the Constitution's equal protection clause, which doesn't address the subject.

"You should not use the Constitution as a means to enforce your own social views," he said.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D89T8GM04.html
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D89T8GM04.html

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Bruzilla said:
I agree. Now when can I purchase my surplus F-14?
Do they have surplus yet?? I did read in the Navy Times that they graduated thier last F-14 pilot so it shouldn't be too long. I'll be kind of sad to see it go, it's a big and beautiful aircraft.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Here's the thing to me...

Bustem' Down said:
Now if we can just gwet the public motivated again. It seems to me that the public as a whole is not as active in the government as it used too.

...in a nation that is over 200 years old, with a Declaration of Independance, a Constitution and a Bill of Rights such as ours, a nation that has bled itself over slavery, firmly established womens and minority rights, how much effort is really required in order to form a more perfect union?

What I am saying is that the hosue is up, the foundation and roof are rock solid and all the floors lead to the top if you want to go there so, aren't we really arguing about the trim work, the draperies and such?

If so, Scalia is so perfectly right; recognize people, that all is very, very well and let's have a debate over what color the hall bath will be but let's not get to out of kilter when we don't get our way. There's more rooms.

Roe v. Wade is this rickety porch that was thrown up in a rush. The house supports it, it does not stand on it's own. The fear is that it will harm the house as it naturally rots. It SHOULD have been voted on and things like gay marriage need to be voted on.

When they pass, the become a solid welcome addition that will appreciate and shine brightly with age, not unsupported sheets of plywood thrown up in a storm of emotion by 5 or 6 out of 9 judges.

If they fail, they fail by the considered will of all the people, not just 9 of us.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bustem' Down said:
It seems to me that the public as a whole is not as active in the government as it used too.
That's because "they" don't want you to be. They want you to sit in front of your TV, watching reality shows and eating Cheetos, and shut your face while THEY make the decisions.

I think they should put important issues to a vote. WE should decide about abortion, gay marriage, whatever - not some judge.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
That's because "they" don't want you to be. They want you to sit in front of your TV, watching reality shows and eating Cheetos, and shut your face while THEY make the decisions.

I think they should put important issues to a vote. WE should decide about abortion, gay marriage, whatever - not some judge.
:yeahthat:
The dumbing down of the U.S. populace is fact. Instead of maintaining or raising standards in school, they have been lowered across the board. The average current college grad could not pass the high school final of my dad's era.

Kids were expected to read and be able to intelligently discuss the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution and Cliffs Note did not exist (and shouldn't).