Good Fishing Spots?

nawty1

Poker Shark
Does anyone know of any good spots to catch anything??? I took the kids to Gilbert Run on Mother's Day to let them get a taste of fishing and not one bite all day. They were so bored and told me fishing was not fun. They would have been thrilled to catch anything, but I think it was too windy.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I haven't been out yet but the cooler than normal temps are more likely the culprit for getting skunked. Make sure you get a copy of the Independent or Enterprise (Friday edition) and read the Outdoor Line in the sports section before your next attempt with the little ones. If fishing at Gilbert Run go up to the canoe rental office and ask where the good spots are. Personally I go to St. Mary's Lake (closer to me) and paddle across, but there are good spots there that are easily accessible by foot. You get a fishing and hiking trip out of the deal. :yay: Kudos to you for taking your kids fishing! Have fun and better luck next time!

D

dems4me

nawty1 said:
Does anyone know of any good spots to catch anything??? I took the kids to Gilbert Run on Mother's Day to let them get a taste of fishing and not one bite all day. They were so bored and told me fishing was not fun. They would have been thrilled to catch anything, but I think it was too windy.

The fish are bitting like crazy up at Bumpy Oaks... even on bobbers!!! I was using to rods most the day but gave up because I couldn't keep up with the fish... it was double headers all day but if you don't set the hook, they just steal your bait. PM me and I can give you directions if you like... me and BF hope to be up there Saturday if the whether is nice... :dance:

Vince

Allens Fresh for Catfish. Haven't been up there myself this year, so I really don't know if they're biting yet.

D

dems4me

Vince said:
Allens Fresh for Catfish. Haven't been up there myself this year, so I really don't know if they're biting yet.

I've been there and hadn't had much luck, it just seemed crowded and folks were elbow to elbow fishing, etc... you too should try Bumpy Oak Vince.. me and BF are thinking going up there... there's never anyone there and you get the whole place to yourself... the closest I had to fish next to someone was about 20-30 yards and even then you didn't have to worry about lines crossing, etc... kind of like when I see folks fishing on the peirs elbow to elbow, that woudl be completely nerve wracking for me.... what's the point of relaxing and fishing if your stuck rubbing elbows with everyone.. :shrug: Also, the fish in Bumpy Oaks is :yum: We broke down and caught warmouths and cooked em.!

Mikeinsmd

nawty1 said:
What did you use for bait? The bluegill & crappie are biting everywhere. How did you rig the lines?

Agee

Vince said:
:yeahthat: I believe it is also the time of year at Allens Fresh for White or Yellow Perch. Use "Beetlespin" lures :yay:

R

remaxrealtor

Mikeinsmd said:
What did you use for bait? The bluegill & crappie are biting everywhere. How did you rig the lines?

We have a small (about 1.5 acres) in our backyard and the bluegill seem nonexistent so far, over the weekend I pulled out the slamanders and new weighted hooks I picked up last fall and went CRAZY on the bass. plucked em outa the water all afternoon Sat.! I've talked to a few others who live around small local ponds and they're saying the same thing?

D

dems4me

Mikeinsmd said:

:yeahthat:

just regular worms and even jig n pigs are working... as for crappie (bf caught two this weekend that measured to be 12inches each!!! 3" short of MD state record) -- lunker crappies at Bumpy Oak :dance: Warmouths are bitting on just about anything you throw in there... :lol:

Theres days where I've thrown everything at the fish but the tackle box and they wouldn't bite for nothing... now is not that time.. they are biting like crazy at bumpy oaks!!! especially right before dusk when the bugs come out. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

nawty1

Poker Shark
Mikeinsmd said:

Just used good ole worms and a line with a weight, small (size 8?) hook, and bobber. Nothing fancy, just what I remember from when I was a kid.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
When do flounder start hitting? I saw the most awesome recipe for flounder stuffed with crawfish and am dying to try it with fresh fish. :yum:

D

dems4me

jazz lady said:
When do flounder start hitting? I saw the most awesome recipe for flounder stuffed with crawfish and am dying to try it with fresh fish. :yum:

I was thinking july or august :shrug:

SeaRide

jazz lady said:

Stuff w/ crawfish? sounds yummy. I 've ate one stuffed with crabs or shrimps.

April/May down at Wachapreague VA (south of Chincoteague) that's where I go there alot since I was a kid (yikes... 30 years already)

Not sure about when the flounder start hitting around here ( Pax River/Potomac River) I guess it will be pretty soon :shrug:

I just ate rockfish for dinner yesterday that my Dad caught yesterday morning off Breezy Point. :banana:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
SeaRide said:
Stuff w/ crawfish? sounds yummy. I 've ate one stuffed with crabs or shrimps.
It was on the Food Network last night. I absolutely LOVE flounder AND crawfish, so I can't wait to try the combination of the two. :yum:

April/May down at Wachapreague VA (south of Chincoteague) that's where I go there alot since I was a kid (yikes... 30 years already)

Not sure about when the flounder start hitting around here ( Pax River/Potomac River) I guess it will be pretty soon :shrug:
I hope so. It's been so long since I've actually gone fishing I can't remember when things hit around here. :lol:

I just ate rockfish for dinner yesterday that my Dad caught yesterday morning off Breezy Point. :banana:
I've been seeing some of the beautiful rock they've been catching printed in The Enterprise. Rock is another favorite. :yum: How did he cook it?

D

dems4me

jazz lady said:
It was on the Food Network last night. I absolutely LOVE flounder AND crawfish, so I can't wait to try the combination of the two. :yum:

I hope so. It's been so long since I've actually gone fishing I can't remember when things hit around here. :lol:

I've been seeing some of the beautiful rock they've been catching printed in The Enterprise. Rock is another favorite. :yum: How did he cook it?

Here's an awesome recipie someone gave me for Carp....

Preheat oven to 350

drizzle two spoons of lemon juice on it and season with salt and freshly cracked pepper to liking...
wrap the carp in tin foil and place on board for cooking
Bake at 350 for 15 min...

Remove Carp from cooking board and eat board.

:roflmao:

Last edited by a moderator:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
Remove Carp from cooking board and eat board.
:roflmao:
Actually, cooking fish on boards (planks) is VERY tasty. You can also do steaks, veggies, you name it. You just have to have the right kind of wood (cedar) and know how to cook it. :razz:

Here's one from Bobby Flay from Food Network:

Cedar Plank Salmon

1 cedar plank (6 by 14 inches)
2 salmon fillets (1 1/2 pounds total)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
6 tablespoons brown sugar

Soak cedar plank in salted water for 2 hours, then drain. Remove skin from salmon fillet. Remove any remaining bones. Rinse the salmon under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Generously season the salmon with salt and pepper on both sides. Lay the salmon (on what was skin-side down) on the cedar plank and carefully spread the mustard over the top and sides. Place the brown sugar in a bowl and crumble between your fingers, then sprinkle over the mustard.

Set grill for indirect grilling and heat to medium-high. Place the cedar plank in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook until cooked through, around 20 to 30 minutes. The internal temperature should read 135 degrees F. Transfer the salmon and plank to a platter and serve right off the plank. Cook's Note: A direct method to grill the salmon may be used. Soak the cedar plank well. Spread the mustard and brown sugar on the salmon, but do not place the fish on the plank. Set up the grill for direct grilling on medium-high. When ready to cook, place the plank on the hot grate and leave it until there is a smell of smoke, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the plank over and place the fish on top. Cover the grill and cook until the fish is cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 135 degrees F. Check the plank occasionally. If the edges start to catch fire, mist with water, or move the plank to a cooler part of the grill.

The complete recipe is here :yum:

D

dems4me

jazz lady said:
Actually, cooking fish on boards (planks) is VERY tasty. You can also do steaks, veggies, you name it. You just have to have the right kind of wood (cedar) and know how to cook it. :razz:

Here's one from Bobby Flay from Food Network:

Cedar Plank Salmon

1 cedar plank (6 by 14 inches)
2 salmon fillets (1 1/2 pounds total)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
6 tablespoons brown sugar

Soak cedar plank in salted water for 2 hours, then drain. Remove skin from salmon fillet. Remove any remaining bones. Rinse the salmon under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Generously season the salmon with salt and pepper on both sides. Lay the salmon (on what was skin-side down) on the cedar plank and carefully spread the mustard over the top and sides. Place the brown sugar in a bowl and crumble between your fingers, then sprinkle over the mustard.

Set grill for indirect grilling and heat to medium-high. Place the cedar plank in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook until cooked through, around 20 to 30 minutes. The internal temperature should read 135 degrees F. Transfer the salmon and plank to a platter and serve right off the plank. Cook's Note: A direct method to grill the salmon may be used. Soak the cedar plank well. Spread the mustard and brown sugar on the salmon, but do not place the fish on the plank. Set up the grill for direct grilling on medium-high. When ready to cook, place the plank on the hot grate and leave it until there is a smell of smoke, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the plank over and place the fish on top. Cover the grill and cook until the fish is cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 135 degrees F. Check the plank occasionally. If the edges start to catch fire, mist with water, or move the plank to a cooler part of the grill.

The complete recipe is here :yum:

Sounds a little too experimental for me... 1) cooking with wood (something flamable) and 2) grilling.... my eyesight is finally starting to come back to normal... :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
Sounds a little too experimental for me... 1) cooking with wood (something flamable) and 2) grilling.... my eyesight is finally starting to come back to normal... :lol:
1) You SOAK the board in water first so it ISN'T as flammable. :whoosh:

2) Leave grilling to the professionals, please. The fire department thanks you in advance. :razz: