Dining at the Tides

R

rdonthehd

Well, I did it. I convinced my boyfriend to buy a new shirt and we dined at the new restaurant in front of the Mantech building, The Tides oyster bar and restaurant. This place is exquisite. And while the food is all an artistic culinary delight, the whole experience seems out of place in Lexington Park. I mean, Damon's is more our speed here, I think.
But, anywho, let me get to telling you all about my dining experience! First, we were sat at a booth next to the window, where outside you can hear a simulation of ocean tides crashing in the water display. I was a bit indimidated about my attire, but my nice sweater and jeans were ok. I don't remember seeing anyone in a tie and jacket, except the owner, who was a gracious host. The whole decor is simple and elegant and everything in the restaurant is in exact theme with the atmosphere... wavy ocean like, just as the name would recommend. From the slightly wavy forks to the pool like carpet to the sculpture like dishes.
The kitchen is open for everyone to see. The bar is small and intimate and gorgeous in it's brick and how the light is displayed. The bathrooms are immaculate with all wood sections and bowls for sinks, like something out of a "Kohler" commercial. And there are no paper towels to clean your hands, only small terrycloth towels and a hamper to discharge them in.
If I started to describe the food, we would all be drooling now. But I will say that the last time I ate anything even remotly close to the way the food made my taste buds tingle, I was in France. Sorta like a tiny little orgasm on a plate. The food is presented delicately and very artful. Ladies first on everything!
My boyfriend ordered an Absolut martini and let me tell ya, I don't even like martinis, but I drank this one! The taste was so smooth and light. I couldn't believe I was drinking Absolut!
This is not a restaurant to just go and have something to eat. The Tides is more of a night out for gastronomic pleasure. The atmosphere is calm and relaxing. The food is distinguishable and ambrosial. The service is impeccable yet unpretentious.
Try this place at least once and you'll be saving up your pennies to go again! Just remember to bring a big wallet and an open attitude.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I cant wait wait to try it. Sounds wonderful. Thanks for the info. Loved the "orgasm" on a plate.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
I've been there twice, and had great experiences both times, as well.

Made another reservation for my birthday in a couple of weeks, too. I think it's definitely worth the money.

...I wouldn't wear jeans, though.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
mainman said:
Do you think they serve fancy little crackers to sop those up with? :confused:

I thought they were called Oyster crackers? So, I've had the name wrong all these years? :shrug:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Pete said:
:twitch:

I was speaking from experience.
I did not know white boys from the south were allowed to view Fresh Prince. :lol:
I also now watch "Full House". although I couldn't stand to watch it when it was on originally.

Pete

Repete
bresamil said:
I did not know white boys from the south were allowed to view Fresh Prince. :lol:
I also now watch "Full House". although I couldn't stand to watch it when it was on originally.
holy crap :duh:

R

rdonthehd

I can see your point...

Chasey_Lane said:
Glad you enjoyed it; I didn't. :yay:

Well, I must admit, this place is certainly not for everyone. But if you have high expectations and enjoy food in a way that is beyond just digestion and filling up your gut, then you would find the Tides quite pleasant. Like I said, Damon's is more our speed around here. I would suspect a lot of regular folks might not dig this joint, but it is a place to wine and dine clients for a company that is footing the bill.

R

rdonthehd

RoseRed said:
They refused to give Kwillia any ketchup. She was mad. :burning:

what on earth would she need ketchup or anything else for the food there?

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Butt to big?

Well, yes...but that's not my reasoning in this particular instance. :kiss:

Jeans are very suitable for casual dining atmospheres, but after having visited this place a couple of times, I don't feel they are appropriate for the venue.

That said, this isn't a place where you'd have to wear an evening gown or a tuxedo....a pair of slacks and a sweater, or khakis with a button-down shirt would be more than appropriate....but jeans just don't cut it.

I'm sure the lunch crowd is attired mostly in golf shirts and khakis, but the dinner patrons when I was there were all clad in more of a business style dress: Suits, ties, and blouses.

I didn't notice a marked dress code on the door (though there may have been one), so I'm sure they won't kick folks out for jeans and tee-shirts, but common sense would decree that when you enter a place that touts itself as classy and elegant, and your average bill per person (not including the alcohol) is over $50, you'll probably want to wear something a little nicer.