Route 5 cllosure last night

mrs potts

Anyone know what happened last night on route 5? The police closed both sides of Route 5 and landed a helicopter on the road around 5:30pm last night.

Bad accident...hope no one was killed!

mrs potts

Of course, I assume that it was an accident...but, what were the details of the accident?

I didn't want to rubberneck in the car, so I thought I would do it online. :smile:

yakky doodle

i was coming through there around the same time, but the helicopter was just taking off, I think.

no clue, expept for my best educated guess of a bad car accident. :ohwell:

tater

Originally posted by mrs potts
I didn't want to rubberneck in the car, so I thought I would do it online. :smile:

Oh, I love to rubberneck. I'm a full-fledged member of the Oh My God Squad :biggrin:

SeaRide

Anyone know what happened last night on route 5? The police closed both sides of Route 5 and landed a helicopter on the road around 5:30pm last night.

Bad accident...hope no one was killed!
Hey I was there on the northbound rt 5 lane right in front of 7-eleven parking my truck. I saw the siren lights and the helicopter. I think I saw some kind of flatbed truck but not sure what happened. Saw the helicopter landed and take off. Maybe the st. mary co police report will come online somewhre on the internet. I forgot where I saw it. oh well.

mrs potts

Originally posted by SxyPrincess
Then I would have missed the keg party! :martini: :ohwell:

True - but then your Grandma wouldn't have been run over by a reindeer!

Just think of the presents you missed...

Anyway, back to main idea - would love to know what the details were for the accident....

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I think I just heard it on the radio (not the Grandma part). Someone crossed the center line and hit car w/family of five, killing 14 year old son.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by RoseRed
I think I just heard it on the radio (not the Grandma part). Someone crossed the center line and hit car w/family of five, killing 14 year old son.

Sad, I wonder if the driver was a member of the "oh my God squad"?

J

justhangn

Maryland State Police officials said troopers issued a citation for negligent driving to the operator of a van that swerved across a Route 5 median in Charles County and struck a car carrying a family of five Sunday, killing a 14-year-old passenger.

No criminal charges have been filed against Gregory L. Chapman, 36, whose Ford F-350 van crashed into the side of a 1999 Nissan Maxima carrying a Fort Washington family to a dinner with family friends in St. Mary's County. Police issued the citation, which carries a $500 fine, shortly after the accident.

The crash killed Craig L. Bond Jr., a freshman at Friendly High School. His mother, father, sister and brother were taken to Washington area hospitals with minor injuries. Chapman declined medical treatment at the scene.

Chapman was not paying attention to the road as he drove north about 5:30 p.m. Sunday on Route 5, said 1st Sgt. D.A. Truitt of the Maryland State Police barrack in La Plata. He swerved left onto the median and lost control of his vehicle, which then barreled into the southbound lane and struck the Bond family car on the rear driver-side door, Truitt said.

"Once he was running off the road, he was unable to gain control of the vehicle," Truitt said.

Chapman, a Waldorf resident, did not return a phone call seeking comment on Tuesday afternoon.

Tondria Bond, 38, who was riding in the front passenger seat of the Maxima with her husband, Craig Bond Sr., driving and their three children in the back seat, said the van came at their car without warning.

"We saw him come across the median and that's a really big median. It looked like he had lost control. We tried to swerve to miss him, but he hit the back of the car," Tondria Bond said.

Her son was pronounced dead at the scene.

Tondria Bond said her oldest son would be remembered as "a joyful child. He was always joking and just being silly all the time."

Craig Bond was a cornerback on Friendly High School's junior varsity football team, and he ran cross-country with the Clinton Track Club.

His favorite activity of all, though, his mother said, was hanging out with his father, Craig Bond Sr., an electrical engineer for Pepco. They often went fishing, just the two of them. Whenever the elder Bond was making home improvements or doing yard work -- building a deck, setting up a swing set, cutting down trees -- his son was there to help.

"They were very close. He loved his father," said Tondria Bond, a Defense Department employee.

She said her son began talking of college this year and had joined the high school ROTC program. One day, he hoped to join the Navy, serving in the military like his father, who was in the Air Force, Tondria Bond said.

"He had a bright future ahead of him," she said.

yakky doodle

Anyway, back to main idea - would love to know what the details were for the accident....

am i the only one wondering why you "would love to know what the details were for the accident?" Not trying to be a wench, but I would think it'd be enough to know that there was a car accident, and (based on general common sense), given there was a helicopter, it was likely to be pretty bad.

I would hate to think about people swarming the news and rubbernecking to see my dying child being loaded into a helicopter during his last minutes of life. :ohwell:

Last edited:

mrs potts

Agreed. But the accident that is being discussed (it happened
on Sunday, not Tuesday) is not the one that I was referring to. Besides, I always like to check to see if it was perhaps someone I knew.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Agreed. But the accident that is being discussed (it happened
on Sunday, not Tuesday) is not the one that I was referring to. Besides, I always like to check to see if it was perhaps someone I knew.

Might have been helpful if you told us where on Route 5, considering that it runs from the beltway, clear down to the end of the earth at Point Lookout.