Seatbelt laws...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
As I am sure all of you know, last week in Montgomery County, police used night vision devices to search for folks not wearing their seatbelts, a violation of state law. I've read that they wrote 111 tickets in 3 hours.

Now, setting aside the peeping Tom aspect of this...no, screw that. The peeping John Law aspect of this is a large part of the issue. Using radar on your car is one thing. Spying on people in the dark is another.

Another part of the issue is whether it is appropriate to pass laws saving one from ones self. A speeding ticket is a warning to slow down and certainly we all agree that a speeding car is a potential threat to other motorists, much moreso than a car going the same speed as everyone else, yes?

What of a seatbelt? It is quite a stretch to claim not wearing a seatbelt endangers others. Smoking laws don't even go that far, to protect you from yourself; smoke all you want, even in your car, just not in some public areas where, if not harm, then certainly annoyance of others occurs.

The Post today sparked my interest with several letters to the editor about the police playing Pervert.

Some of the writers want to live in a police state saying the cops are LAW ENFORCEMENT doing their jobs. It would seem these people wouldn't mind an officer watching them every moment.

One person raised the point as to whether or not we should be passing laws protecting us from ourselves.

One dolt who got a ticket says the ticket is a great reminder to put their seatbelt on. Wonder how they remember to brush their teeth?

The Dipshit award goes to the police statist who goes on to say that the seatbelt issue is proper area for law enforcement because, get this, 49% of people killed in car accidents in Maryland last year were not wearing their seatbelts.

Now, as you all know, I am one of the more tolerant and understanding people most of you have ever dealt with but...

How ####ing stupid is that? If 49% who died were NOT wearing a belt then, OBVIOUSLY, dumbass, 51% who died WERE WEARING THEIR SEATBELT. Thus, Einstein, it is MORE likely that if you die on the road in Maryland, you'll have had your seatbelt ON and, thus, you are less likely to DIE if you ARE NOT WEARING your seatbelt.

Please, for the sake of us all, remember to wear a condom. We'll write you a ticket so you don't forget.

Last edited:

SpecV

Larry Gude said:
As I am sure all of you know, last week in Montgomery County, police used night vision devices to search for folks not wearing their seatbelts, a violation of state law. I've read that they wrote 111 tickets in 3 hours.

Now, setting aside the peeping Tom aspect of this...no, screw that. The peeping John Law aspect of this is a large part of the issue. Using radar on your car is one thing. Spying on people in the dark is another.

Another part of the issue is whether it is appropriate to pass laws saving one from ones self. A speeding ticket is a warning to slow down and certainly we all agree that a speeding car is a potential threat to other motorists, much moreso than a car going the same speed as everyone else, yes?

What of a seatbelt? It is quite a stretch to claim not wearing a seatbelt endangers others. Smoking laws don't even go that far, to protect you from yourself; smoke all you want, even in your car, just not in some public areas where, if not harm, then certainly annoyance of others occurs.

The Post today sparked my interest with several letters to the editor about the police playing Pervert.

Some of the writers want to live in a police state saying the cops are LAW ENFORCEMENT doing their jobs. It would seem these people wouldn't mind an officer watching them every moment.

One person raised the point as to whether or not we should be passing laws protecting us from ourselves.

One dolt who got a ticket says the ticket is a great reminder to put their seatbelt on. Wonder how they remember to brush their teeth?

The Dipshit award goes to the police statist who goes on to say that the seatbelt issue is proper area for law enforcement because, get this, 49% of people killed in car accidents in Maryland last year were not wearing their seatbelts.

Now, as you all know, I am one of the more tolerant and understanding people most of you have ever dealt with but...

How ####ing stupid is that? If 49% who died were NOT wearing a belt then, OBVIOUSLY, dumbass, 51% who died WERE WEARING THEIR SEATBELT. Thus, Einstein, it is MORE likely that if you die on the road in Maryland, you'll have had your seatbelt ON and, thus, you are less likely to DIE if you ARE NOT WEARING your seatbelt.

Please, for the sale of us all, remember to wear a condom. We'll write you a ticket so you don't forget.

I 100% agree with you here. It seems like the law was made mostly to increase state revenues. Maybe they should make a law against eating unhealthy foods.

I agree that the seatbelt law is stupid in regards to those 18 and older. If an adult so chooses to take the risks that come from not belting, so be it. However, I completely and wholeheartedly support the restraint enforcements in place for those under 18. To hell with adults that lack common sense and are free to live (or die) with the consequences of their un-thought-out actions, but let us not forsake the children of these same Darwin candidates. Yes, I do believe there are way too many adults that would think nothing of letting there precious Shelby Lynn or Johnny Lee become instant projectiles upon impact for the sake of avoiding the “but I don’t wanna wear that dumb ole seatbelt, Mommy/Daddy” argument. :ohwell:

SamSpade

I've always thought, from a philosophical standpoint, that seatbelt laws were stupid and an undesirable intrusion on our freedoms. I know it's not a slippery slope to outlawing junk food or fast food or consuming too much salt or sugar or coffee or ... the list is endless. I have always thought that laws are good for the public safety, but, you're totally free to ruin your OWN health if you want to.

I had an argument two weeks ago with someone over motorcycle helmet laws - I have the same view, regarding them. Now, having seen what a motorcycle accident will do to someone - no way in HELL will I ride without one. But in principal, there's no rationale I know to make a law to protect someone - FROM THEMSELVES.

Anyway, the main objection I got was that too much liability falls on motorists who are in accidents with uninsured motorcyclists not wearing helmets. I said that the person NOT wearing the helmet should bear the brunt of their own idiocy. The reply was "yeah, well, that doesn't wash, in court".

And this is the second reason why I think such laws are dumb - we KNOW they're dumb, but we can't apply the principal in COURT, because the courts won't uphold the common sense of it all. Isn't that crazy? We can't put the blame on the guy NOT wearing the helmet, so we make a law punishing EVERYONE for not wearing one. Some crazy schmuck gets in an *accident* not wearing a helmet, but it's easier to punish people NOT IN ACCIDENTS for not observing a safety requirement.

Doesn't anyone see the concept as lunacy? We punish drivers who aren't endangering others, because we're unable to punish the ones who already HAVE.

The argument of - unbelted drivers drive UP our insurance rates is stupid, at BEST. So do teenage drivers, but we still let them drive at 16.

However - actually having been ticketed just for the seatbelt not being fastened, and nothing else - I do buckle up. I've been in about a half dozen accidents without belts, and walked away unscratched - I think the best way to be safe in an accident is to make sure you're not IN one.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Having walked away from a totaled car and the worst injury was sustained when I released my seat belt and cut my head up on the glass in the roof (I was hanging upside down), I'm a believer in their use.
I don't think their use should be required by law. Think the reason we have them is that the Feds are willing to withold highway fund money till the whores in Annapolis pass the law requiring their use. Same thing for airbags, gotta have them or you can't sell the car, even though they kill people.
Looking forward to riding in PA next weekend, no helmet law :yay:

ceo_pte

I think this quote by Benjamin Franklin says alot about our society today...

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I'm definitely with you Larry...

My only problem/caveat is that when people get injured and require medical care from not wearing the seatbelt, or if police have to scrape a corpse off the blacktop, we end up footing the bill. :ohwell:

If not via taxes, then via higher prices for road repair. :razz:

Last edited:
D

dems4me

Not trying to sound like and oddball or anything, but I generally only wear my seatbelt if someone else is driving... I'd feel bad if I was mangled or banged up or killed and they were driving :shrug: I was in a terrible accident once and a friend jacked up on something was driving her jeep and we hit a divider wall head on in N.J. doing about 70 or 80... the seatbelt saved my life.... but, however, if I'm driving, generally, I don't wear one. I used to but for the past few years, I just don't if I'm driving. :shrug:

dems4me said:
Not trying to sound like and oddball or anything, but I generally only wear my seatbelt if someone else is driving... I'd feel bad if I was mangled or banged up or killed and they were driving :shrug: I was in a terrible accident once and a friend jacked up on something was driving her jeep and we hit a divider wall head on in N.J. doing about 70 or 80... the seatbelt saved my life.... but, however, if I'm driving, generally, I don't wear one. I used to but for the past few years, I just don't if I'm driving. :shrug:

dems, I'm not sure why you would think eating windshield would taste better on the left side of the car, but if that's your preferred flavor so be it...:shrug:

ylexot

Super Genius
I feel very strange if I don't have the seatbelt on. I just don't feel right. Obviously, that's a good thing. I do think seatbelt laws, mandatory airbags, etc. are just wrong. I don't want the government to save me from myself.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
I personally always wear my seatbelt but it should me my choice. I am appalled at the tactics law enforcment has stooped to in raising revenue. We all know the police could really care less about us wearing them. It's a money maker, a way to look good in the eyes of their supervisors at the end of the month on who wrote the most tickets. It is sad that law enforcement borders on entrapment these days. In the meantime the real criminals of society get away with murder while I am on the side of the road getting some stupid ticket.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yes...

My only problem/caveat is that when people get injured and require medical care from not wearing the seatbelt, or if police have to scrape a corpse off the blacktop, we end up footing the bill

...and when people are wearing their seatbelt and get hurt we all foot the bill. Don't forget the FACTS: 51% who died were wearing their belt. It would be more compelling if 99% of seatbelt wearers did not die when in an accident and 99% of non wearers did die.

I think it is self evident that you are safer wearing a belt than not but the issue is what level of governmental involvement is appropriate.

It's not about safety. If it were, then it would be law that we all must drive larger, safer vehicles with tiny engines. Motorcycles would be illegal.

Think about this: If it were about safety, we would all have racing harnesses and wear helmets and fire suits IN CARS.

That someone would actually advocate night vision to see if people are wearing seatbelts, well, they are not Americans. They should be deported for that kind of activity.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
TIGERLILY said:
We all know the police could really care less about us wearing them. It's a money maker
Thank you! I wear my seatbelt all the time now but it's not because I feel safer - it's because I don't want to waste my time sitting on the side of the road while some cop gets a brownie point for writing me up just because I'm easier to catch than some rapist or murderer.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
SpecV said:
I 100% agree with you here. It seems like the law was made mostly to increase state revenues. Maybe they should make a law against eating unhealthy foods.

Triple dog dare you to request an expenditure estimate from Montgomery Co. to include:

*Cost per Night Vision Device and number of devices
*Cost to equip vehicle to read device
*Cost to train officer to use device
*Cost to equip officer to read device
*Cost to prepare secure facility for new equipment
*Cost to train and test ability
*:blah: :blah: :blah:

SamSpade

vraiblonde said:
Thank you! I wear my seatbelt all the time now but it's not because I feel safer - it's because I don't want to waste my time sitting on the side of the road while some cop gets a brownie point for writing me up just because I'm easier to catch than some rapist or murderer.
Can't give ya karma but AAAAAAA-men.

Whenever I see news that Calvert County has had another one of those speeder crackdown days where they issue 300 tickets, on the same mile of road in a few hours, and they do it ON ONE DAY - it's safe to say, they ain't doin' it for OUR safety.

I just heard this morning on the radio about - I can't recall what jurisdiction, but it might have just been "Maryland" and not a particular county - is "losing money" over the costs of operating equipment and personnel over automatic red-light running cameras. Seems that red-light running has dropped 60% since they were installed, and NOW, they're losing a million bucks a year, because it costs much more to run it than it makes.

Does this sound kind of funny?

Wasn't the whole point to stop red light running - and not to raise money? If running red lights has gone down 60%, doesn't that translate into saved lives? Isn't that worth spending a million bucks a year?

I'm amused at the thought that the program might be considered a failure, because it ISN'T making money. I thought the whole idea was intended to eventually not make money.

D

dems4me

kwillia said:
dems, I'm not sure why you would think eating windshield would taste better on the left side of the car, but if that's your preferred flavor so be it...:shrug:

:lol: I'll make sure to have a side of ketchup with it. :huggy: :lol:

I just didn't want anyone to feel bad if they were driving and something happened to me because I WASN'T wearing a seatbelt :shrug: Just thinking of others :shrug: Or, if they get pulled over because I'm not wearing one :shrug:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
kwillia said:
Yes, I do believe there are way too many adults that would think nothing of letting there precious Shelby Lynn or Johnny Lee become instant projectiles upon impact for the sake of avoiding the “but I don’t wanna wear that dumb ole seatbelt, Mommy/Daddy” argument. :ohwell:
Sunday evening we were on our home from my folks house and we passed not one but two vehicles FULL of people. In the back seats of each vehicle were at least 3 children who were not only unrestrained, but sitting on the laps of the 4 adults in the back, with their heads hanging out of the window. UFB. Chances are that they all made it home ok but still, the life of my child (at least) is far more important than that of my own or my feelings on seatbelt laws.

Whether you wear your seatbelt or not should be up to the (over 18) individual and not the government.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Having eaten glass at the fine old age of 15 (prior to cars even required to have seat belts) I wear them as does everyone else in my car, thank you very much.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Mikeinsmd said:
I think they should pass a law requiring people to wear sunscreen.... :bawl:
I agree. And I think they should pass a law against water, since children drown in it. :bawl:

The only thing fun about hysteria is being able to taunt the people who engage in it.