Luke 5:1-6

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Luke 5:1-6
<sup id="en-NASB-25109">1</sup>Now it happened that while the crowd was pressing around Him and listening to the word of God, He was standing by the lake of Gennesaret; <sup id="en-NASB-25110">2</sup>and He saw two boats lying at the edge of the lake; but the fishermen had gotten out of them and were washing their nets.

<sup id="en-NASB-25111">3</sup>And He got into one of the boats, which was Simon's, and asked him to put out a little way from the land. And He sat down and began teaching the people from the boat.

<sup id="en-NASB-25112">4</sup>When He had finished speaking, He said to Simon, "Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch."

<sup id="en-NASB-25113">5</sup>Simon answered and said, "Master, we worked hard all night and caught nothing, but I will do as You say and let down the nets."

<sup id="en-NASB-25114">6</sup>When they had done this, they enclosed a great quantity of fish, and their nets began to break;

willie

6When they had done this, they enclosed a great quantity of fish, and their nets began to break;
Don't fish with a rotten net? Is that the point?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
This short passage has a lot in it. Think about these questions.

<list>What was Jeus doing?
What size was the crowd?
What did Jesus ask of Simon (soon to be called Peter)?
What had Simon been doing all night?
What was Simon doing when Jesus asked him to lanch his boat?
What was Simon's reaction?
What was Simon's reaction when told to lower his nets by Jesus?
What happend?
What does all of this teach us?
</list>

willie

I still get it the same way......Jesus asked them to do the same thing they had been doing all night unsuccessfully but this time they got so many fish that the net broke. I would rather have no fish and a net to fish tomorrow than no fish and no net. What did I miss?

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
Okay, first of all, the net BEGAN to break. If I remember the rest of the story later, Jesus did this to bring Simon (Peter) into his apostles. After they had gotten the fish in, he asked Simon and his brother to throw down their nets and he would show them how to be fishers of men.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And the follow up to the breaking net is that Simon asked his fellow fishermen to come help him pull the fish in, and there were so many of them that they sank the boat. :ohwell:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
<list>What was Jesus doing?
Jesus was preaching to the people.

What size was the crowd?
The crowd was very large and was pressing toward Him.

What did Jesus ask of Simon (soon to be called Peter)?
Jesus asked Simon to put out in his boat so that Jesus could continue preaching to the crowd.

What had Simon been doing all night?
Simon had been fishing all night with no catch to show for it.

What was Simon doing when Jesus asked him to launch his boat?
He was washing his nets. This implies that he kept his nets in good repair and that they were not rotten. Simon was a fisherman by trade and took care of his equipment.

What was Simon's reaction?
</list>Simon did not hesitate; he let Jesus use his boat to preach from and put out a little bit from shore so the crowd would not press on Jesus.

<list> What was Simon's reaction when told to lower his nets by Jesus?
Simon indicated that he had already been working hard all night, dusk to dawn, 12 to 13 hours, and caught nothing, but he would obey Jesus anyway.

What happened?
Simon caught lots of fish, so many that his nets actually started to break. This is no big deal to a fisherman; a good catch is worth having to mend the nets. Simon received a great blessing for his faith and obedience.

What does all of this teach us?
</list>This teaches us that we need to have faith in Jesus, trust and obey Him even when our own wisdom, experience, or the wisdom of the world says that Jesus' way is foolishness. When we do, we are blessed with things beyond our expectations and measure.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
And the follow up to the breaking net is that Simon asked his fellow fishermen to come help him pull the fish in, and there were so many of them that they sank the boat. :ohwell:
Not quite true. Their boats did not sink; they brought them to land.

Luke 5:7-11
<sup id="en-NASB-25115">7</sup>so they signaled to their partners in the other boat for them to come and help them. And they came and filled both of the boats, so that they began to sink. <sup id="en-NASB-25116">8</sup>But when Simon Peter saw that, he fell down at Jesus' feet, saying, "Go away from me Lord, for I am a sinful man!"

<sup id="en-NASB-25117">9</sup>For amazement had seized him and all his companions because of the catch of fish which they had taken;

<sup id="en-NASB-25118">10</sup>and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, "Do not fear, from now on you will be catching men."

<sup id="en-NASB-25119">11</sup>When they had brought their boats to land, they left everything and followed Him.
So what does Luke 5:7-11 teach?

SamSpade

It was often taught to me - and implied - that Peter dropped everything without question upon this single miracle, not having known Jesus at all.

But John's gospel says differently - that Andrew was a follower of John the Baptist, and *immediately* upon meeting Jesus, he went and got his brother Peter. For both stories to be accurate - Peter already knew about Jesus. It's also likely that the OTHER disciple in John was John - Peter's fishing partner. There's almost no chance at this point in Peter's life that he didn't KNOW Jesus already - what was different was, it was at this time Jesus actually called him to follow - and Peter was willing (albeit, a bit afraid).

So to add a bit to it - these were not impetuous decisions made on the part of men who reacted with their feelings. They'd had plenty of time to think about it.