Formula 1 Controversy

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
The Michelin runners offered to compete for no points and allow the Bridegstone runners to start at the front, just so the race could go ahead, if the chicane was in place. "The teams were desperate to race, to put on a show," team boss Frank Williams told Reuters. "Racing in North America is fundamental to Formula One's commercial health."

"We wanted to at least entertain the crowds. We were prepared to race for no points and give them all to Ferrari. I can't stress enough how desperate we were."

Is it just me or is F1 going to get more backlash over its trying to force its drivers to compete on unsafe tires, and then punishing the drivers, than they would if they said "Oops, we're sorry, we made an error in judgement."

I wouldn't have driven on them either.

linkage: http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=189337&FS=F1

Petter Solberg

What a waste of my time and money. I hold Michelin primarily responsible for the lack of a properly ran 2005 USGP. Michelin had plenty of opportunity to test prior to the race and should have brought a proper tire. I am very dissapointed with the 2005 USGP.

I hope the US learns from this and gets a proper open wheel racing series up and running to take up the slack. I do not belive the US will host another USGP for a while. F1 will have to kiss my butt in a major way to get me to attend another USGP.

B

Bruzilla

Face it... Formula 1 racing is the quiche of the automotive racing world. Stick with NASCAR if you're a real man (or woman.)

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Bruzilla said:
Face it... Formula 1 racing is the quiche of the automotive racing world. Stick with NASCAR if you're a real man (or woman.)
NASCAR! It takes skill to drive around a course without hitting someone.

In my opinion, the blame lies solely with Michelin. They know this course, the race has been held here 6 times and there obviously wasn't any trouble at the Indy 500. They should have tested and produced a tire that would perform. I expect Bridgestone to see some more business out of this and the FIA's attempt to move back to a single brand tire across the board will probably be easier to get passed.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Bustem' Down said:
NASCAR! It takes skill to drive around a course without hitting someone.

In my opinion, the blame lies solely with Michelin. They know this course, the race has been held here 6 times and there obviously wasn't any trouble at the Indy 500. They should have tested and produced a tire that would perform. I expect Bridgestone to see some more business out of this and the FIA's attempt to move back to a single brand tire across the board will probably be easier to get passed.
Didn't they resurface the turn and that is what started chewing up the tires? There still might have been time for testing and such but I am unsure how recently it was done.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Bruzilla said:
What's real about pretending you're racing a stock car?

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Does mention of NASCAR belong in this discussion?

Bruzilla said:
Stick with NASCAR if you're a real man (or woman.)

NASCAR. That's the American version of Automotive Professional Rassling, right? Only Vince McMahon could come up with a more violent alternative.

Petter Solberg

Ken King said:
Didn't they resurface the turn and that is what started chewing up the tires? There still might have been time for testing and such but I am unsure how recently it was done.

Yes they did grind the oval section, however they had plenty of time to test. I am not so sure that the grinding really added to the tire wear. The G loading in turn 13 seemed to be most of the issue. Besides, Bridgestone got it right. Why didn't Michelin?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Petter Solberg said:
Yes they did grind the oval section, however they had plenty of time to test. I am not so sure that the grinding really added to the tire wear. The G loading in turn 13 seemed to be most of the issue. Besides, Bridgestone got it right. Why didn't Michelin?
You're the expert, tell me why it wasn't "right"?

Tomcat

Anytime
Just like at Pocono last week some cars had trouble with the left front others didn't:shrug: It wasn't the tires fault, it was the set up being used by the teams. Jr. was using a very agressive front suspension set up, hence he had problems, others didn't. Maybe the F1 bubbas need to learn how to set up their wonder cars.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
goes to show how primadonna the F-1 drivers are.. "I might get a flat!! I'm not racing.. my ***** hurts!!" I HATE NASCAR, but they should have replaced the pansie F-1 drivers with the likes of JR and Gordon, the race would have been run then!!

Petter Solberg

I certainly do not consider myself to be an expert on F1, although I have been following it for 15 years.
The issue started with the tire problems that Toyota was having during practice. I never heard that any of the other Michelin Teams had problems. Also, Michelin and Bridgestone make two dry race compounds each. Bridgestone brought their hard compound and Michelin brought their soft compound. Most of the blame has been focused on Michelin and is based on the fact that Michelin left a "safe" hard compound tire at home. The FIA is currently compiling data from the teams to determine the answers.

Some people blame Ferrari, some the FIA, and most blame Michelin for not bringing the correct tire.

Ken King said:
You're the expert, tell me why it wasn't "right"?

Petter Solberg

I will agree that Gordon is a good race car driver. F1 drivers are certainly not pansies when compared to many of the chunky out of shape NASCAR drivers. You apparently have not witnessed the speed that a F1 car carries through a turn or the carnage that takes place when a tire blows.
Besides, the decision to race was not given to the drivers.

itsbob said:
goes to show how primadonna the F-1 drivers are.. "I might get a flat!! I'm not racing.. my ***** hurts!!" I HATE NASCAR, but they should have replaced the pansie F-1 drivers with the likes of JR and Gordon, the race would have been run then!!

B

Bruzilla

Lurk said:
NASCAR. That's the American version of Automotive Professional Rassling, right? Only Vince McMahon could come up with a more violent alternative.

Good heavens! It sounds like we've got a bunch of quiche eaters on the net! Reminds me of when I was in Greece and went to a carnival that had a bumper cars ride. We watched the Greeks driving the bumper cars like real cars... stopping to yield the right-of-way, careful passing, watching their speeds, etc. Then my flightcrew and I jumped in and showed them what bumper cars were designed for - BUMPING! We smashed and dashed each other, and within minutes the Greeks were right in it with us and having a blast. Then we left and the Greeks went back to their old ways.

That's what the difference between NASCAR and Formula 1 racing are... a bunch of rednecks shoving and bruising their way to first place, versus a bunch of highbrow stodgies with cigarette holders amazing at the gentlemeness of it all... boring. While I'll freely state that I can't understand what most of the NASCAR drivers from the woods of North Carolina are saying any more than some Italian F-1 driver, but the NASCAR guys seem to have a lot more fun.

B

bennydafig

Petter Solberg said:
I will agree that Gordon is a good race car driver. F1 drivers are certainly not pansies when compared to many of the chunky out of shape NASCAR drivers. You apparently have not witnessed the speed that a F1 car carries through a turn or the carnage that takes place when a tire blows.
Besides, the decision to race was not given to the drivers.
I'm sure Bob didn't mean for you to get your panties in a twist, he's just stating the news as he sees it!

Petter Solberg

What news? The decision to race had nothing to do with the drivers. The orders/recommendations came from Michelin and the Team bosses.

bennydafig said:
I'm sure Bob didn't mean for you to get your panties in a twist, he's just stating the news as he sees it!

Agee

Petter Solberg said:
Most of the blame has been focused on Michelin and is based on the fact that Michelin left a "safe" hard compound tire at home. The FIA is currently compiling data from the teams to determine the answers.

Some people blame Ferrari, some the FIA, and most blame Michelin for not bringing the correct tire.
Didn't Michelin in fact deliver an alternative tire to the track prior to race time? But were not allowed to use them because of the rules. That is, the tires you qualify on, are the tires you race.

Should have the FIA backed-off this rule and ensured a full field? Was there still a risk with another Michelin tire since it had no track time? Was the FIA being stubborn and setting an example with Michelin and thier lack of preparedness?

Regardless, this debacle has helped to chase away alot of present and potential F1 fans in the US.