Nuclear power plant at Elms?!?!

BuddyLee

Football addict
I breifly read this headline in a paper at Wawa last night. Something about Dyson being involved as well. Anyone confirm?

J

JWB_CWB

DoWhat said:
Yep, they started building it last week.
Should be done by the end of next month, from what I heard.

Yup and Jenna Jameson is coming on her tour and will be at Roses the next two weekends.

Even if it did happen which chances aren't good it would be atleast a decade or more before it would be in operation.

Last edited by a moderator:

BuddyLee

Football addict
What I found hard to believe is how would they beat down all the EPA nutties? Elms is an environmental education park the last time I meandered down that way.

Fred Hoeck

Elms Property was set aside for Nuclear Power Plant originally

For those of you new to the area, the Elms Property was bought and set aside for a nuclear power plant back before Three Mile Island. It is only being used as envionmental park since no new Nuclear Power Plants have been built. Therefore, the use of it, the Elms Property, for a power Plant, would not be something new, secret, or underhanded. It is bad when newcomers to the area do not investigate the uses of tracts of land and what they are already planned for, then they wouldn't get themselves all bent out of shape when the planned for use happens. It is similar to the people living along the path of FDR Blvd who complained when they found out the road was to go through their neighborhood, they should have checked the plans before buying if they didn't want to live on a main highway at some point. Investigate the long range plans!

Last edited:

Cletus_Vandam

Fred is exactly correct. The enviromental area while used by the public schools is not County property; it is leased from the State who owns the property for a potential nuc power site as he mentions.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Fred Hoeck said:
Therefore, the use of it, the Elms Property, for a power Plant, would not be something new, secret, or underhanded.
I agree. However, I suspect that even longtime county residents had assumed that the original approvals on the power plant had long since expired. What would be underhanded is if the governor (as the Rag alleges) or some other politician had made a back-room deal to build the plant without consulting the public.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Cletus_Vandam said:
Fred is exactly correct. The enviromental area while used by the public schools is not County property; it is leased from the State who owns the property for a potential nuc power site as he mentions.

But the nutties will still make the argument that the environmentally unique area cannot now be destroyed for a nuc plant. It's their way or no way.

snuzzy

Fred Hoeck said:
For those of you new to the area, the Elms Property was bought and set aside for a nuclear power plant back before Three Mile Island. It is only being used as envionmental park since no new Nuclear Power Plants have been built. Therefore, the use of it, the Elms Property, for a power Plant, would not be something new, secret, or underhanded. It is bad when newcomers to the area do not investigate the uses of tracts of land and what they are already planned for, then they wouldn't get themselves all bent out of shape when the planned for use happens. It is similar to the people living along the path of FDR Blvd who complained when they found out the road was to go through their neighborhood, they should have checked the plans before buying if they didn't want to live on a main highway at some point. Investigate the long range plans!

Yes they will! How many people move next to an airport, firing range, etc....and get in an uproar because (maybe) it was worse than they expected, or just have the time on their hands to complain and make life miserable? People buy their homes with blinders on and when reality kicks in, it doesn't matter what they knew ahead of time, they're going to whine and complain until they get their way, or at least make as much grief as they can...

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Tonio said:
I agree. However, I suspect that even longtime county residents had assumed that the original approvals on the power plant had long since expired. What would be underhanded is if the governor (as the Rag alleges) or some other politician had made a back-room deal to build the plant without consulting the public.
I knew of the proposed nuclear plant at Elms Beach since I was a small kid, and that the likelihood of the plant being built was very possible, and somewhat, probable.

Cletus_Vandam

Lenny said:
But the nutties will still make the argument that the environmentally unique area cannot now be destroyed for a nuc plant. It's their way or no way.

I hear what you're saying, but the tree huggers need to take a look at Calvert Cliffs. That area before the plant wasn't much different...

Cletus_Vandam

Tonio said:

What's underhanded about using a piece of property for it's intended use? The Elms was purchased decades ago for the purchase of building a nuc power plant.

Is there anyone out there thinking that a nuc plant was going to be built at the Elms anytime within ten years of Calvert Cliffs opening? The State's purchase and setting aside of this land was a smart investment. Furthermore, the State allowing leases on the property and public use wasn't required... But anyone who's a tree hugger won't see these points.

K

Kain99

I just don't see the population explosion required for a second plant. Maybe I'm behind the times.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Kain99 said:
I just don't see the population explosion required for a second plant. Maybe I'm behind the times.
Furthermore, what would be the costs and benefits of having a new plant?

Cletus_Vandam

Kain99 said:

A nuc plant in St. Mary's County would make us less reliant on plants that use fossil fuels (like the plants near Benedict and near the Nice bridge).

willie

Cletus_Vandam said:
A nuc plant in St. Mary's County would make us less reliant on plants that use fossil fuels (like the plants near Benedict and near the Nice bridge).
Also a nice tax income for the county.

refugee44

The only place in SoMD that another nuclear reactor will be built is at Calvert Cliffs. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission is only looking at 6 sites that currently have nuclear reactors, and not new sites. Calvert Cliffs has over 2300 acres of land and they are using about 700 acres. Do the math.

Furthermore, power generated at that plant and any new plant is not solely for use by its "neighbors". Constellation Energy or any energy company for that matter is in the business of creating electricity. That electricity goes out into the grid, and isn't necessarily used only by the people who live nearby.

J

JWB_CWB

Kain99 said:

Well the power produced isn't used locally, most of CCNPP power produced is shot up power lines to the north.

As of right now only 20% of the U.S. power comes from Nuclear compared to around 80% in France. Not that I'm saying we should be more like France but as far as producing power goes they are more advanced than us. TMI pretty much kept this country stuck at that number since the 70's. Anyone with half a brain can see that Nuclear power is much cleaner than most of the alternatives. And most can see that Nuke plants don't make a good terrorist target because all the measures taken in security and the hardening of the structures.