Top 50 Coolest Albums

Otter

Nothing to see here
According to Rolling Stone, these are the coolest??? Some of these groups/singers I've never heard of...And the Beastie Boys at #5?? Where's Pink Floyd, Van Morrison, U2? Bobby Sherman? lol..

1. Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat
2. Rolling Stones - Aftermath
3. James Brown - Live at the Apollo
4. Chuck Berry - The Great Twenty-Eight
5. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
6. Blondie - Parallel Lines
7. Aretha Franklin - Spirit in the Dark
8. Massive Attack - Protection
9. Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis
10. The Beatles - Revolver
11. Sly & the Family Stone - Fresh
12. Pavement - Wowee Zowee!
13. Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy
14. Prince - 1999
15. Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding
16. Bjork - Vespertine
17. Various - Heavyweight Sound: Blood and Fire Sampler
18. Otis Redding - The Otis Redding Dictionary of Soul
19. Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full
20. Chic - Real People
21. David Bowie - Station to Station
22. Jorge Ben - Africa Brasil
23. Frank Sinatra - Songs for Swingin' Lovers!
24. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
25. Culture - Two Sevens Clash
26. Brides of Funkenstein - Never Buy Texas from a Cowboy
27. Beck - Odelay
28. The Ronettes - Best of the Ronettes
29. Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
30. Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
31. Michael Jackson - Off the Wall
32. Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole
33. Howlin' Wolf - Howlin' Wolf
34. White Stripes - De Stijl
35. Various - Super Bad is Back
36. Joan Jett - Bad Reputation
37. Jungle Brothers - Done by the Forces of Nature
38. Alexander Spence - Oar
39. Cheap Trick - Heaven Tonight
40. Bikini Kill - Reject All American
41. Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - Anthology
42. Merle Haggard - Songs I'll Always Sing
43. Roxanne Shante - Bad Sister
44. Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails
45. Serge Gainsbourg - Comic Strip
46. Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul
47. Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties
48. Aphex Twin - Classics
49. The Strokes - Is This It
50. Madonna - You Can Dance

Christy

b*tch rocket
No way dude!  It's Milli Vanilli all the way!  Can't believe they weren't in the # 1 spot!  :wink:  

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Otter, what do they know.  The all time favorite for me is Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
otter on 10:36 am on Mar. 21, 2002[br]Where's Pink Floyd, Van Morrison, U2? Bobby Sherman? lol..
...Steppenwolf, Lynard Skynard, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, CCR, Fleetwood Mac, Aerosmith, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Chicago, Moody Blues, AC/DC, Guns & Roses, etc.  They must have pulled that list out of a hat. :boo:  I guess I'm just not cool anymore! :bawl:

I don't recognize 1/3 of that list either, and if by chance I did hear it on the radio I probably turned it off. :lol:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
otter on 12:08 pm on Mar. 21, 2002[br]Ya know, Led Zep isn't there either...I find that really amazing..
Neither is Jimi :guitar:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I guess it depends on your definition of "cool".  For "Off The Wall" to beat out "Thriller" in the Michael Jackson category is absurd.  Madonna's "You Can Dance" is practically beneath her (if there is such a thing) since it's all remixes of her dance songs.  Where is Janet?  Mary J. Blige?  Bruce Springsteen?  All of those bands that Sharon listed?  Frankly, it's not cool at all if there's no Stevie Ray Vaughn or Buddy Guy.  Damn right I got the blues!

I find that list...surprisingly unsophisticated.  :lol:  Let's make our own - nominees, anyone?  My first pick is Bruce's "Born in the USA".

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
And what about the Monkeys????  he he..  or is that Hey, Hey...

I agree with Vrai about Thriller.  These results are odd.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I'd have picked the Bay City Rollers to be quite honest.  Although they were surprisingly unsophisticated in their musical style, it was still very catchy and I was quite smitten when they had their Saturday morning show.  Everybody sing along now! S A T U R D A Y Night!  :getdown:

jimmy

Drunkard
I really think that we're getting tripped up by the word "cool". See, I don't think they mean as in "man, these albums are the COOLEST!!!" I think it's more of the "cultural cool"...which is why Lou Reed tops the list.  But what I don't understand is why Miles Davis doesn't appear until 29 and he's one of the only pure jazz artists...man, if those guys aren't "cool" I don't know what is...And, more to the point, it's Rollingstone and I haven't had respect for that mag since...well...ever since I read old reviews of Zep's albums which they unanimously TRASH...what the hell do they know anyway?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In terms of "cultural cool", Joan Jett is outta there, as is Chic - neither have ever been particularly cool.  Old Bruce Springsteen then - pre-Born in the USA, before he went commercial.  David Bowie and Steely Dan?  Puh-leez.  Buddy Guy MUST be on any cultural cool list.  I might add Pantera, too - the album with More Human Than Human on it.  How about Sade?

Rolling Stone doesn't know what's cool.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Um guys, just so you know.  I was kidding about the Bay City Rollers! (Even though I do have their greatest hits CD!)

(Edited by Christy at 10:12 am on Mar. 22, 2002)

Christy

b*tch rocket
How about Annie Lennox?  Didn't Joan Jett shave her head recently?  I thought White Zombie sang "more human than human".

I'm so confused! :crazy:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Christy, you're right - White Zombie did More Human Than Human, not Pantera.  So White Zombie's "Astro-Creep" goes in, not Pantera (even though they're cool, too).

Larry Gude

Strung Out
  IF we are talking entertainment, an I think we are, then, the COOLEST album of ALL TIME, hands down, slam-dunk, phone it in, spank me and put me to bed is...

Kiss Alive I

The visual presentation goes without saying. Ice tray cool.

The music is actually some rather damn good rock and roll including perhaps THE rock and roll anthem of this and/or any other universe… “I….wanta rock and roll all night…”   Ice burg cool.

Add in the personalities, the aura and the simple fact that there has never been nor ever will again be such an overwhelming collection of music show biz elements as long as man kind walks this planet. Ice on your burned thumb from holding the Bic on high for to long cool.  

Everything else (‘cept for the Beatles) is a variation on a theme.

Kiss became a theme and it started with that album.

"Get up! And getcher grandma oughta here!"...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Christy,

You don't have to be ashamed of your checkered past! Your long lost sister Vrai is probably looking right now for a way to make a case for the Archies! ..."Aw, sugah, sugah!!!"...

In short, you have company.