Fellowship of The Rings

Christy

b*tch rocket
Anyone going to see Fellowship of The Rings?  Anyone keeping their children away due to the "Witchcraft/Wizardry" aspect?  Will this be the next demon seed plant in the minds of our young children?  Only the Shadow Knows!!!  And of course the True Christians who post on here, so do give us a bit of insight on your wisdom of Tolkien.

Thank you and good day! :)

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
Are we talkin bout <I>LORD of the Rings</i> ...I'm lost...

I gotta see <i>Lord of the Rings</i>... I've heard the book is hot.

kgun35

AP - I'm with you on that - what the heck is "Fellowship of the Rings" ?????????????

JR - why you so interested in a "true christians" reaction to the movie?  What you got some personal issues or something??????

Jimmyrich

Yeah...personal issues...
Anyway, some correction: it's Lord of the Rings (Like Star Wars). Fellowship of the Ring is the title of the first movie (like the phantom menace)...so she was pretty close; no need to jump down her throat. And Kgun, you were'nt here when we were talking about the true Christian thing.  You can read up on it if you want, but that's where the comment came from.

Hessian

Tolkien has a great original concept. That a ring with evil origins and great power must be destroyed. It is entrusted to to innocent characters who toy with using the ring for good---Problem,...something that is evil cannot be used for good--it simply consumes and eventually destroys the users.

This is the opposite of Harry Potter, who delves deeply into witchcraft and expects to use it for good, while at the same time demonstrating deviant behavior, shape changing etc.
Things that are evil CANNOT be used to eventual good...it only destroys the user. (ie "the ring")

I hope I haven't spoiled the plot. I don't know how Tolkien or CS Lewis would review the movie compared to their original works. I know that the PG-13 label is accurate (according to a reviewer) due to the violent nature of some of the scenes....I'm considering going to see it.
Evil is not confused...the deceptive nature of it becomes evident, its destructive power is evident---not "playful."
Veritas.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Come on now people!  What's with the lack of knowledge on Tolkien?  How about "The Hobbit"?  It's the prequel to the whole "Lord of the Rings" series.  Everyone has had to have seen the cartoon of the Hobbit as kids.  They are Classics!

kgun, if you want to understand the "true Christian" reference, have a read through the Harry Potter thread.  I just figured I'd throw it out there to see what everyones point of view is on Fellowship of the Rings.

And for Clarification, Lord of the Rings is a Trilogy (three books) (now movies) which begins with Fellowship of the Rings.  

I'm just dying to hear the Christian perspective on this movie, since it has even stronger mystical themes than Harry Potter.  It seems as if I'm the only "Christian" on these forums that didn't feel that Harry Potter was an evil movie.

Shooo, there, now I think we are now all on the same page.  

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Christy,

Some of us have read the series.  The Hobbit was first published in 1937.  It led to a trilogy called The Lord of the Ring, which by the way was originally called The Return of the King in 1955.  JRR Tolkien broke it up into the following books; The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King.  This was one of the many books that got me a little more interested in reading back in high school.  Wow, somewhat similar to what Harry Potter is for the younger kids.  

PmoneyandTT

Kgun - I will give you a short history of "harry potters" drawn out - long - overrated - overheated debate.. But you should go back and read it also.. See "us" christians believe in what the bible says about witchcraft. Not to deal with anything associated with it. Well a few people thought "we" christians - are not opened minded - we don't have any clue of what "we" christians are talking about.. To give it to you short and sweet.. "We" Christians suck.. I truly don't know anything about this movie - so I can't comment on it.. Just like some folks who don't read the bible everyday - can not comment on what it says.. But I won't go into that whole little spat.. So with all the disagreements - name calling - disrespect of ones belief - It was best for "me" christian to not take things so personally. But at that point - I made my decision not to answer - question - or even acknowledge Jimmyrich.  Thats just a small history - if you really want to see the dirt - go to religion forum - the gay topic - and you can get the whole story..
If you don't agree with the majority on this forum - you will get treated like an outsider - and they will call you names - stoop to playground games.. Read all that stuff and come up with your own opinion.. The funny thing about this whole forum its about opinions - and the so called tolerate people - try to make you see it their way..

The Jews denied Jesus as being the Son of God - And He never sinned.. As long as I totally believe in God's Word - I will never be accepted.. But thats my exchange for eternity with God..

Jimmyrich

Bitter, bitter, TT...way to present that argument in the clear, objective sense we have all grown so used to getting from you...so sorry you can't engage me in discussions anymore...I was learning so much...

Anyway, Hessian, I don't see the line you are drawing between Potter and Fellowship. Both are struggles against Evil.  Simply because you think that the means are deviant in Potter leads me to believe that you really don't know the story at all.  Potter, much like Frodo, is an unwitting participant in the events that transpire.  And once he knows the severity of the situation in which he finds himself, he reacts accordingly. They both stumble along the way and each finds friends to help them on their "quest".  Potter, as a human boy, exhibits typical behavior of human boys (ie some disobedience, some rebellion) but none of that is EVIL. The Hobits, as tolkien imagined, were peaceful, passive creatures hence their behavior wasn't what YOU would call "offensive" in the books.  However, there are plenty of characters in the book which are ALLIES of Frodo which use Magic, violence, murder, trickery etc. to aid in their quest.  I don't see how the one use of magic is any different simply because it is labled Witchcraft in the book...There are 'Wizards and Warlocks' in Fellowship; there are Wizards and Witches(female wizard) in Potter. Your double standard, thankfully, will allow you to see an undoubtably great movie so I'm not trying to sway you away from Fellowship.  I just find it funny that you can rationalize to yourself that it is any less "dangerous" to children than Potter.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Jimmyrich,

Another parallel that has been missed is that while some have been condemning witches and wizards they still go and see MJ playing for the Wizards.  How can this be?  Are they selective when if fits their needs, you bet they are.  Those same folk are also continuously talking about their frivolous activities and social lifestyle including drinking when the same Bible they quote at length doesn’t look kindly upon the drunkard either.  Can anyone say hypocrite.  

Jimmyrich

Right, Ken...
And then there's the spewings of hatred (love thy fellow man?), calls to violence, intolerance; you name it. There's a great quote by...uh...Homer Simpson...on what religion he is:
"...You know...the one with all the well meaning rules that don't work out in real life? Oh yeah...Christianity."
Even these so-called "true Christians" are led to hypocracy by their misinterpretations of the "Word".  They use it when it is convenient; the ignore it when it would condemn themselves.  These discussions on this forum continue to point this out for me each and every time.

PmoneyandTT

Oh I forgot - I was born a christian - so I never did anything wrong.. Your so funny... Everyone is born in sin. So everyone has evil tendencies. WE all fall short of the Glory of God.. Not one time did I judge you - but everyone seems to judge the ones that want to be obedient to God's Word.. God never said it would be easy.. We are cursed from the fall of Adam.. But with God's Grace - we can be saved. Regardless of how you think or feel - you have every right to say so.. And if your referring to any post in others - thats all for fun and games.. Brother and sister joking with each other.. But you wouldn't know that - cause you don't know us.. Forums are intended to be not serious.. Especially on fun topics.. You have a totally wrong concept of how christians are.. We have problems just like you.. We are in the flesh like you.. We fight every single day just like you.. Others want to put christians on this high pedestal..

Getting drunk is not part of my life - Watching the Wizards play - what does that have to do with anything.. I don't own the team - so I can't pick the name - if I could it wouldn't of been wizards.. Thats a stupid name - just like alot of other NBA names.. Im sure what you said was to be a joke of some kind - But on your part - it was funny.. Glad to see your comedian side of you.. Have fun - mockery doesn't do well for that gut..

Jimmyrich

I can't understand a word you're saying, TT...again, you have defied all logic with your response and rambled on and quipped nonsensical one-liners...Am I being aknowledged again? Insulted? Understood? Ignored? I haven't a clue...Ken? Any ideas?
The point about the Wizards is that, (and I dont' think it was entirely meant in jest) someone will embrace something they enjoy and ignore the aspects of it that are faulty. The Wizards' logo has a "magic" wizard on it who, no doubt, casts "spells"...they are refering to themselves as "The Wizards"....must be evil!  But you don't think that---you rationalize the reference and just say "well, I didn't pick the name".  Well, you didn't write Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings either and you can't choose how THEY refer to their characters. But the difference is, you'll watch B-ball but you WON'T see these movies (unless, hypocritically, you go see LOTR).  You're applying a double-standard to suit your own needs. That's all we were saying.

Christy

b*tch rocket
TT, please don't lump me in with your group of "us Christians".  This Christian sees hypocracy running rampant amongst the "true Christians" who post on here.  

I don't believe that anyone feels that Christians suck.  Merely those who use the scripture to justify their judgement and belittling of others.  What gets people teed off is not ever taking responsibility for rude, illogical, and unkind comments that are posted.  It's always a matter of "I didn't say that, G-d said it" and "I don't have to explain myself to anyone but G-d".  This whole attitude that you are being persecuted and your beliefs are questioned simply because you are a Christian is an illusion in your own mind and a total cop out.   It is merely a way to deflect taking responsibility for your own opinions.  

Everything I post is my own personal opinions, many are formed from my Christian belief and how I interpret the scripture.  For some reason I feel that as soon as I start thumping my chest and telling everyone that "this is what G-d says and ye shall heed.."  I'll be met with a big lightning bolt to the head and G-d telling me "that's not what I meant you big dumb a$$!"  Hence, I leave it up to the rest of you all to take that risk.

Anyhoo, enough of that.  Tonight is the big opening night, so anyone who happens to see it, please do post and give us a review.

kgun35

JR - thanks for clearing up the Lord of the Ring/Fellowship of the ring thing - now I know.......  I took some time out of my day and went back and read some of the stuff about the Christian thing to help give me a better understand of where your and others comments are coming from.  I'm going to leave my comments alone right now cause I have no information/knowledge of this movie as I have never read the book and haven't seen the movie - my arguement would be ludicrus at this point.  But once I get me knowledge on the subject, I'll be back..............

Jimmyrich

No problem, Kgun...Good to know some people prefer to do research on an issue before sounding off...I look forward to seeing the movie and the discussion that will surely come of it...