Emergency vet services

FireLadie

On Sunday while at friends house we had a pet accident when the two dogs (labs) collided while going after the same ball. It was quite bad.

One dog was ok... she had a puncture wound on her forehead. Other however and bit a hole - a large hole through his tongue - and blood was going everywhere.

When we tried calling around for emergency vet services we were continually directed to Waldorf or annapolis... both of which are an hour or more away from parts of St. Mary's County.

Does anyone else find this disturbing. Freak accidents happen all the time... my cat is always under my feet when I'm in the kitchen, what if I accidentally drop a knife and it impales her... do I really have to drive her an hour (in a distraught condition mind you) while she bleeds out next to me in the car???

Does anyone else find this disturbing???

Does anyone know why St. Mary's County does not have an emergency vet place/plan.

It would seem to me that maybe the vets of the community could work out some type of rotation in order to provide care...

we found only one vet that was on call on non-duty hours and she was entirely overworked trying to take care of her patients and others who called her...

wouldn't it make sense to have one emergency line and then it could be directed to the vet on call????

:confused:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
St. Mary's Veterinary Hospital
22261 Three Notch Road (Rt. 235), Lexington Park, MD 20653
301-862-2441

Danzig

FireLadie said:
Freak accidents happen all the time... my cat is always under my feet when I'm in the kitchen, what if I accidentally drop a knife and it impales her... :confused:
Chinese food for two? Or if it’s a small cat then it would be food for one.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
After hours emergency services are only available in Annapolis and Waldorf. At least those are the ones within reasonable distance. I know the Dunkirk Animal Hospital used to be open for emergencies but now just has extended hours.

There's also one in the Glenn Dale/Bowie. Beltway Veterinary Emergency and Referral Center.

Last edited:

FireLadie

since it's such a big problem how come nobody is willing to stand up and say "time to change"

Give the vets in the area some motivation you know.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
appyday said:
where most of vets that are "your vets" would treat and let you pay on it..

I'd love to know where those vets are. For many years the vets in my area offer a credit plan where you actually have to get approved for financing.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
FireLadie said:
since it's such a big problem how come nobody is willing to stand up and say "time to change"

What would you like for us to do? What are you doing?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
FireLadie said:

I don't think it is cost effective for the vets. I know years ago there was an on-call type of thing and vets in the tri-county area participated. I don't have a problem driving an hour if my animal has an emergency. I don't know how much "time is of the essence" is involved in saving an animal's life.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You'd think some vet would get smart and offer after hours emergency service.

Oh well - I spend my life wondering why more people don't start their own business or take advantage of holes in other businesses. La dee dee, la dee dah.... :ohwell:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
vraiblonde said:
You'd think some vet would get smart and offer after hours emergency service.

You see how the dang ER's are full of people with headaches and kids with snotty noses. I think the vets are actually pretty smart.

FireLadie

cattitude said:
I don't think it is cost effective for the vets. I know years ago there was an on-call type of thing and vets in the tri-county area participated. I don't have a problem driving an hour if my animal has an emergency. I don't know how much "time is of the essence" is involved in saving an animal's life.

for me the money isn't an option... I'd pay emergency fees...

And for me... time is of the essence... My cat is an important part of my life.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
FireLadie said:
Good luck. See my previous post. And you can't get up and say "time to change" to someone who owns their own business - they either want to be top-notch or they don't.

I am pleased to say that our vet offers 24 hour, 7 day a week emergency service. If it's 3am on Saturday and your dog has busted his head open, the vet will meet you at his office as soon as you can get there. :yay:

FireLadie

elaine said:
What would you like for us to do? What are you doing?

Actually I've written a letter to the enterprise, I'm going to send out letters this week to the vets in the area and make phone calls...

But given the insensitive responses of some people in hear I'm beginning to doubt the kindness of some in St. Mary's Co. towards animal.s