I'm wondering...

R

rdonthehd

After reading the posts in the survey, I'm wondering what do people of obvious strong faith, like 2ndAmendment, think of people that don't believe there is a such thing as a higher power (a God)? Do you think badly of them because they don't share the same thoughts and opinions even though they live morally and agreeably?
I used to get into heated discussions over this whenever missionaries from different churches landed on my doorstep. I think the discussions were heated mostly because they were trying to "recruit" more people to their church.
So, what do you guys think?

BuddyLee

Football addict
rdonthehd said:
After reading the posts in the survey, I'm wondering what do people of obvious strong faith, like 2ndAmendment, think of people that don't believe there is a such thing as a higher power (a God)? Do you think badly of them because they don't share the same thoughts and opinions even though they live morally and agreeably?
I used to get into heated discussions over this whenever missionaries from different churches landed on my doorstep. I think the discussions were heated mostly because they were trying to "recruit" more people to their church.
I know 2A has expressed this opinion over and over and I'm sure he'll chime in with it yet again. Just read every other thread in the religion section.:yay:

Everyone has a differing opinon. Some might think badly of the person and some might not think badly but sorry for them and their soul. Some might be friends or even love the person in question. Point in case, it really depends on the person and how strongly they hold to their beliefs.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
rdonthehd said:
Do you think badly of them because they don't share the same thoughts and opinions even though they live morally and agreeably?
I think that a person's religious beliefs are no one else's business, not in a responsibility sense but in a privacy sense. If they act on those beliefs in a way that hurts others (Osama bin Laden and Eric Rudolph, to cite two extreme examples), then it becomes other people's business.

The mindset you gave isn't limited to religious extremism. It just feels worse to me when religion is involved, because religious extremists often claim to speak for Supreme Beings.

mrweb

Iron City
BuddyLee said:
I know 2A has expressed this opinion over and over and I'm sure he'll chime in with it yet again. Just read every other thread in the religion section.:yay:

Everyone has a differing opinon. Some might think badly of the person and some might not think badly but sorry for them and their soul. Some might be friends or even love the person in question. Point in case, it really depends on the person and how strongly they hold to their beliefs.
I don't think badly or otherwise about a person who does not believe. Who am I to judge?

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
I don't think badly of those with no faith. God says it is not for us to judge others.

However, in my faith and belief, God also teaches that it is the job of those who have faith to try and bring faith to those who don't have faith. Not through "force," however. We are to be the apostles of God and spread the word of God, gently, and make sure those who maybe haven't heard it, or don't understand it, hear it and get the understanding. Then it is up to each individual to decide if they believe or not. We cannot force people to open the doors in their hearts to God, but we can be the channel God through which God knocks on those doors.

PJumper

rdonthehd said:

I don't think badly of those who did not believe in god, they may have been brought up that way and as long as they don't do harm to the believers, they they're ok in my book. By the way, believing is just the first step. You've got to have faith in God as well 'cause the devil also believed there's God.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
vraiblonde said:
I'm a heathen and 2A still loves me - although he DID try to kill me with hotsauce once. Hmmm.....
I'm sure he sought forgiveness through prayer the following day. :yay:

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
I'm a heathen and 2A still loves me - although he DID try to kill me with hotsauce once. Hmmm.....
:noted: Hot sauce not an option when trying to whack Vrai.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
I try to love everyone. Jesus instructed me to do just that. I fail, I know. I am sorrowful for those that don't believe. I quote the Bible in the hope that some will see. I hope that none are lost, especially those I know IRL, but I have no control over their relationship or lack thereof with Jesus. I present the Good News. I can't save anyone; not my job. Each individual must make the decision to follow Jesus for themselves.

I used to, in Christian immaturity, think if people didn't believe like I did that they were not really Christians. In light of
Romans 14:1-10

<sup id="en-NASB-28282">1</sup>Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions. <sup id="en-NASB-28283">2</sup>One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only.

<sup id="en-NASB-28284">3</sup>The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him.

<sup id="en-NASB-28285">4</sup>Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

<sup id="en-NASB-28286">5</sup>One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.

<sup id="en-NASB-28287">6</sup>He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.

<sup id="en-NASB-28288">7</sup>For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself;

<sup id="en-NASB-28289">8</sup>for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.

<sup id="en-NASB-28290">9</sup>For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

<sup id="en-NASB-28291">10</sup>But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God.
who am I to judge another believer. Other Christians are not responsible to me. I am not their master. Jesus is their Master as He is mine. As I recently heard, nothing in life matters except getting saved. Get saved even if you screw up everything else in your life. The least in God's kingdom is far greater than the most exalted in satan's realm.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
crabcake said:
I'm sure he sought forgiveness through prayer the following day. :yay:
Well, to be fair, he DID indicate that it was death sauce. But I figured if he could douse his food with it and not shed a tear, I should be able to put a teensy bit on my finger and barely touch my tongue with it. Right? :lol:

R

rdonthehd

thanks for all the unargumentative answers. I also think that I have been in hot conversations about religion before with others because I ask questions like: WHY do you belive? and Don't you feel like a sheep just following everyone because someone said so?
Everyone has given me answers that seem to go around in circles.
I know I can't talk about my beliefs with my boyfriend because he was raised in a Catholic upbringing and becomes flushed and discombobulated when I question his beliefs.
Since I was a little kid, I have visited many many religious institutions looking for my own answers because the ones I was getting didn't make sense to me. I don't know what answer I'm looking for, but I will know it when I find it. (does that make sense?)

R

rdonthehd

oh yeah, I can't comment on the hot sauce business... I happen to like things spicey too! :razz:

Mikeinsmd

I'm agnostic and I always ask those who tell me I'm going to hell or purgatory for not believing; "What about the people living in tree tops along the Amazon? Why does God make them burn when they never even heard of Him??" I always get the deer in the headlight look.... :shrug: