Actors/Actresses & Politics

Hessian

I don't know if this bothers anybody but when an actor/actress takes a bold political stand (mostly toward the LEFT) It affects my opionion of the movies they make.
Alec Baldwin went psycho on a late night show some moths ago and frothed that he would massacre the entire Bush family. Julia Roberts blasts the ignorant Americans who voted Republican..."How stupid could they be?" Whoopie Goldberg wants Pro Choice (death) cause to be trumpeted from the highest hilltop....and the list goes on.
I just refuse to watch films with these angry bitter liberals on a mission...Who in their right mind put Baldwin (who openly wanted to kill a decorated WWII veteran) in as Doolittle in Pearl Harbor? ARGH!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm glad I'm not the only wacko out there!  I've gone on a boycott of outspoken liberal activist entertainers and here's why:

I feel that by buying their product (movies, music, contributing to their Nielsen ratings) I'm giving them my money.  They take my money and give it to the Democratic party or else they use the influence that my money has bought them to encourage others to vote Democrat.  If I wanted my money to go to the Democratic party, I'd have given it to them directly and eliminated the middleman.  If I wanted people to vote Democrat, I'd stump for a candidate.

Friends that I tell this to react with horror and want to know what I watch on TV or listen to on the radio.  I have to admit that I don't watch a lot of TV or movies anymore and don't feel any worse for the wear.  Most network TV is inane anyway and I'd rather be reading a book.

aviatrix

So what your saying is that you discriminate against democrats.

( :biggrin: tee hee hee   Sorry - couldn't resist.  Just got done reading Caroline Hax, then our continuing "Gays & Maryland" saga and am feeling punchy.   More power to you in doing/thinking what you want.)

(Edited by aviatrix at 5:06 pm on June 11, 2001)

Hessian

No of course not...just a vast majority. Do you recall the gala of stars that came out to worship Bill Clinton over the years? I went to the Bush inaugural and saw "Frasier' and Drew Cary...not many more.
So...to complete the thought...I'd appreciate a list of Hollywood leftists and the causes they champion.
Some are obvious like Barbara Streisand (BS) and Cher but what are some others out there?

On another thought...I just was listening to Mulan in the other room (Typical Disney drool)...guys take a palace dressed in Drag, Guys can't do anything right without a woman leading them,...culture and tradition are all wrong and unfair,...disfunctional families are the norm, and they still found a way to get a coarse Black actor to play a voice part...yada yada yada.
Since when did cartoonists go leftist?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Elaine, I couldn't care less who spews their political views - all I know is that I don't agree with the Democrat-liberal agenda, therefore I won't give them my money.  Makes no difference that Republicans-conservatives do it too - I agree with them so they can have some of my entertainment money.

Hessian, here's your list of Hollywood leftists:  all of them.  Julia Roberts, Brad Pitt, Jennifer Aniston, John Travolta, Alec Baldwin, Sarah Jessica Parker, Susan Sarandon, Gwyneth Paltrow - keep going.

Gwyneth Paltrow did a speech to some nutball group about how nobody should drive an SUV because it hurts the environment.  After the speech, she jumped into her Chevy Tahoe to head to the next rally.  When confronted by the Greenies about her hypocracy, she apologized and said that she, unlike anyone else, needs her Tahoe because she lives in the hills and can't climb the road to her home without 4-wheel drive.

And Hessian I had to laugh at your pan of Mulan - the feminists were in an uproar when the movie came out because Mulan <b>still</b> has to get rescued by the guys, despite her training and skills.  Men dressing in drag has been a comedy staple since before Bugs Bunny.  I love Disney and Nickelodeon - it's the only thing my kids are allowed to watch anymore, even though they're a bunch of left-wingers too.  So I guess I make an exception for them.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
I thought that part of the whole point of men in drag in "Mulan" was to point out how Mulan was dressed as a MAN almost the entire *movie*. I didn't even think that point was very subtle. But then, I'm a movie buff.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm not that sophisticated of a movie watcher.  I just know that the hairier and uglier the guy is, the funnier he looks in a dress.  Patrick Swayze and Co. were too effeminate to begin with to really make you laugh at them in drag (what was that movie?)

Frank

Chairman of the Board
"To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar"

You think Wesley Snipes is effeminate looking?
(He didn't look good as a woman).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's the one.  Okay, Wesley looks like a guy but Patrick and John are effeminate.  The costumers and make-up people did a good job on them all, though.  The best drag get-up I ever saw in a movie was Mrs. Doubfire.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Swayze, yuck!  Mr. Wimpy Poopy boy with no body hair.  Of course, my idea of a <b>real</b> guy is Tommy Lee Jones, who shoots people in the head if they don't do what he says.  Hmmm...maybe something to talk to my shrink about :)

PmoneyandTT

Talk about disfunctional - American Beauty was the most disfunctional "family" movie I have ever seen.. And it won an award... We can go on and on with Disfunctional - "sex in the city", "six feet under".. At some point - some of these shows or movies may represent someone.. About giving my money to republican party or democratic party without my consent is possible.. I buy goods every single day.. Whether it be food, clothes, energy, water, etc.. Big companys are always lobbying on the hill.. Its just not advertised, like actors or actress do when they speak on a specific topic.. If they chose to make themselves look like idiots, thats just a matter of opinion on their part.. If your a good actor/actress Im watching your movie.. What you do in your private life, I don't have no control.. Even if I don't agree with you..

S

ShellyCW

Personally, I find any movie star, entertainer or musician who feels compelled to spew any political opinion (left, right or center) quite ridiculous.  We've gone nuts when we take political opinions seriously from guys who wear makeup and pretend to be other people all day long.  Just stick to the script, Alec Baldwin AND Charlton Heston.  

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
How about Ronny Reagan, Fred Thompson, or the late Sonny Bono?  All became elected officials and while I don't know much about what Sonny did Ronny and Fred are okay in my book.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Ken, yeah but the difference is, Ronny, Fred, and Sonny took an active role in their "politics" rather than spewing a bunch of nonsense to Vanity Fair, Playboy, or whatever interview of the week they had.  Know what I'm sayin?

Ken King

PREMO Member
Christy,

I know what you are saying, but it was the absolute statement of "I find any movie star, entertainer or musician who feels compelled to spew any political opinion (left, right or center) quite ridiculous. "  Leave a little room for the exception and I couldn't agree more with you guys and gals.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ken, dude, you are in full lawyer mode today!  If <i>you</i> cannot recognize a generality when you hear (see) one, that is your problem.  And if you want to get ticky about it:  by the time Sonny, Fred and Ronnie (not to mention Jesse) became public officials, their show biz careers were long over.

You and Larry must have eaten out of the same cereal bowl this morning...

Ken King

PREMO Member
Vraiblonde,

If you want me to accept generalities maybe I should just believe that all blondes are dumb and leave it at that.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Quote: from vraiblonde on 1:07 pm on Jan. 9, 2002[br]And if you want to get ticky about it:  by the time Sonny, Fred and Ronnie (not to mention Jesse) became public officials, their show biz careers were long over.

You mean Jesse's comedy career is over???

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:lmao:!!!!!

I knew you were going to say that!  I told Larry, "Watch him come back with some remark about blondes..."  Thank you for not disappointing me!

That's how I can always tell I've won the argument - when my arguee starts in on blondes...

:lmao:

PmoneyandTT

The only difference between actors/actress expressing their opinions about political hobknobbing and "us" expressing our opinions is that they are famous and we are not.. We use forums to express ourselves - they use media - or rather media uses them..