Planet of the Apes

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, we just got back.  It annoys me that a movie that had so much potential would be so silly.

In this version the humans talk, which I found disturbing.  Imagine if you went to get a new puppy and the mother dog said in perfect English, "Please don't take my baby away from me."  Would you get the puppy?  The only thing I could think of is they were trying to draw an analogy to slavery, i.e. buying and selling someone who could speak, express love and sorrow, etc.  Like I said, this could have really been a good movie but they blew it.

The ending sucked, too.

PmoneyandTT

should of waited till it came out on basic TV... I have learned never go to a movie cause Critics say its a good or bad one.. I thought it could of used some more creative thinking.. Never really said where the humans came from. How they learned to speak english. If their beginning father was a chimp then where did the Gorilla's come from.. Someone got a thought, and threw the movie together.. Alittle more explaining about things could of made it alittle better.. The ending SUCKED, cause from what I gathered he went into a time zone, so when he came out of it, he went back to 2029.. But there were Apes on Earth.. I quess it was a clique to the original..

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Seconding that...Damn I hate it when they do that. Don't bother with this one, it'll have the same impact (none) on tape.

There is nothing like going to the movies and that HUGE screen. The potential to entertain is immense.

Stuff like Jaws, Star Wars, Titanic, the Jurassics et al MUST be seen at the theatre.

It just seems that the emphasis is totally on the visual and plot is chopped to fit 2 hours of visual mind blowing.

Wouldn't it be in the interest of Hollywood to have us saying "real good movie and you've got to see it on the big screen" instead of "Well, the only reason to go see it at the movies is this one scene where..."

Somebody give me $100 mil. It may be three hours long and have intermissions, but I promise it will have a good plot.  

B

Bruzilla

Did anybody understand the end of that movie?  In the original, man screwed up the Earth and the apes took over.  I thought that was the same plot that this version used, then at the end, when he returns to the Earth of the past, the monkeys have taken over and the general who was stuck in the spaceship now has his face on Abraham Lincoln's statue.  What the heck is that all about???

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
I didn't like this movie at all.
It had a lot... A LOT of potential.  They had a good idea but managed to screw it up totally.  The movie was slow...it kept repeating the same point over and over and over.  I didn't enjoy all the slavery references...I thought it took away from the movie.  They had the apes acting like humans.  If the apes really did take over...why would they do things the same way humans do it?... common where is the imagination???

I did enjoy the ending... it kinda left me hanging... kinda gives you a sense of doubt about everything that makes you feel secure and gives you comfort.

I would think the statue thing was another reference to slavery.

If you haven't seen it...my suggestion is that you don't bother...it wouldn't be worth it for me even on video.

(Edited by AnonymousPenguin at 11:05 am on Jan. 8, 2002)

Frank

Chairman of the Board
The movie actually was much truer to Boulle's book than the first Apes movie was, in most respects. The first Heston movie might make a case for when a movie might improve on a book.

With a few exceptions - such as Lord of the Rings - I generally expect that most movies *will* and *should* depart from the book they come from. It's a different medium. It can show things the book *can't*, and has a limited time to do it in.

Sometimes it helps to regard movies and books as different a form of art as say, sculpture and music. We *think* they're similar because they tell a story but they're really not.

PmoneyandTT

My opinion

With the implying of slavery - my thought would be - someone in power always thinking they can control someone they think is less intelligent then themselves. It left alot of holes in the movie - didn't explain much.. And where else would the monkey's learned slavery?  Well if they would of explained it - (my theory) Remember the chimp who they sent out in space?  His mind set was already there "he was a caged animal" so in theory - if animals could talk - they would of learned from humans that if your caged you are not worthy - sublittle creature - with little intelligence.. Either way - the movie got a -10..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Maybe we should be making movies!  I suspect we're giving this movie too much credit in terms of social/historic issues.  Given the silliness of the movie, I doubt the makers had anything other than mindless entertainment and good costume/makeup in mind.

I remember reading the book in Junior High and enjoying it.  It's got one of those kicker endings that I like so much.